• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Most Recently reopened stations on reopened lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frothy

A friend and I were trying to work out which the most recently reopened station was that met the following criteria:

-Must be in England
-Must be located on wholly new line (i.e. not on a converted freight line, or on a loop constructed off existing line)
-Must be a replacement for a formerly closed station.

I thought it could be Bulwell all the way back in the 90s? Happy to be corrected though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenn1969

Established Member
Think Brighouse and stations on the line through Featherstone may have been later than Bulwell but can't remember exactly when they opened?

Ianigsy

A friend and I were trying to work out which the most recently reopened station was that met the following criteria:

-Must be in England
-Must be located on wholly new line (i.e. not on a converted freight line, or on a loop constructed off existing line)
-Must be a replacement for a formerly closed station.

I thought it could be Bulwell all the way back in the 90s? Happy to be corrected though.
Shoreditch High Street?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
How about Islip? Re-opened in 2015. Track was replaced, so could be described as "new".

steamybrian

Established Member
I agree with Shoreditch High Street.
Built on a new line.
Replacement for nearby Shoreditch station closed in 1940 and Shoreditch (London Underground) station closed in 2007

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
Shawfair opened in 2015
On a wholly new line (the Waverley Line closed in 1969 took a different route at this location)
Replaced several closed stations in the area such as Millerhill closed in 1955

Just remembered Shawfair is in Scotland and the question is about stations in England..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Think Brighouse and stations on the line through Featherstone may have been later than Bulwell but can't remember exactly when they opened?
Brighouse reopened in 2000 but on a line that didn't close for freight. Streethouse, Featherstone and Pontefract Tanshelf reopened in 1992, but that line also remained open to freight.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
How about Islip? Re-opened in 2015. Track was replaced, so could be described as "new".

Surely Islip was last “reopened” in 1989? 2014-15 was a planned line upgrade (double tracking) with bustitution?

You may well be right. As I recall there were no trains at Islip for over 18 months during 2014/15 (when last I was there).

Moot point whether a train station with bus replacement for over a year (or longer) is actually "open" as such. If not, when the trains are back, it has then re-opened! ;)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
As others have said these lines weren't new, they were still open for freight, so fail on the second criterion.

Surely Islip was last “reopened” in 1989? 2014-15 was a planned line upgrade (double tracking) with bustitution?
In any case, Islip in 2015 must fail on the second criterion, it wasn't a new line then.

Shawfair opened in 2015
On a wholly new line (the Waverley Line closed in 1969 took a different route at this location)
Replaced several closed stations in the area such as Millerhill closed in 1955

Just remembered Shawfair is in Scotland and the question is about stations in England..:rolleyes::rolleyes:
As you have added, sadly Shawfair fails on the first criterion.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Nor was Bulwell, as the OP suggested. I'm not sure why he's saying it "must be located on wholly new line" as that must rule out most English reopenings of recent years.
Yes, it is quite limiting if you insist on that...

Shoreditch High Street is on the ELL Overground line and replaced a tube station.
Definitely a new line of route, but already mentioned in post #3.

Mikey C

Established Member
Hillingdon in 1992?

A replacement station on a new line, as the Metropolitan Line was diverted to allow improvements to the A40.

snowball

Established Member
Hillingdon in 1992?

A replacement station on a new line, as the Metropolitan Line was diverted to allow improvements to the A40.
Was the line diverted or was the station merely moved along the line?

steamybrian

Established Member
When Crossrail opens in London then Custom House reopens on an effectively new line. The DLR station is adjacent.

Whilst in London just thought of City Thameslink.
Was on wholly new line (original reopened line of 1986 was realigned).
Replaced Holborn Viaduct closed January 1990

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Market Harborough?

'Old' line and station closed effectively 'one day'.

'New' line and station opened very shortly afterwards.

Never was a 'loop' or freight line.

Mikey C

Established Member
Was the line diverted or was the station merely moved along the line?
Thinking about it the line didn't change, so scrub that example!

Mudchute and Island Gardens on the DLR should count though, as replacement stations opened in 1999 on a wholly new line, as the former high level DLR terminus was replace by a tunnel under the Thames

Status
Not open for further replies.