• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - most reversals on a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

causton

Established Member
In the morning the service goes Dinting->Hadfield->Glossop->Dinting. In the afternoon it goes Dinting->Glossop->Hadfield->Dinting.

So why are those commuting from Glossop to Manchester seen as more important? :lol:

Or is there a one-way flow between Hadfield to Glossop in the mornings and Glossop to Hadfield in the evenings!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
These are the service which ANorthernGuard is referring too

Manchester Piccadilly-Manchester Piccadilly via Hadfield and Glossop

But these reverse twice only en route.

The offpeak service pattern is a service to Hadfield with en route reversal at Glossop.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So why are those commuting from Glossop to Manchester seen as more important? :lol:

Or is there a one-way flow between Hadfield to Glossop in the mornings and Glossop to Hadfield in the evenings!

Glossop is significantly bigger.

Michael.Y

Established Member
That's what bothers me. It certainly isn't a single journey so shouldn't be considered a "reversal" but by Michaels definition that is what happens.

My definition does not involve termination of the service. It involves a single service between its origin and its destination.

Chris M

Another example is Lincoln-Nottingham via Newark North Gate, which has two reversals in quick succession - forwards to Newark NG, change ends and drive back as far as the junction, change ends again and drive to Newark Castle.

lejog

Established Member
Can someone tell me what this Friday night special is that supposedly wends its way around West Yorkshire with 5 reversals?

Hall Royd Junction-> Halifax (reverse) ->Huddersfield (reverse) -> Halifax (again) -> Bradford Interchange (reverse) -> Leeds (reverse) -> Shipley (reverse) -> Ilkley

Edit: Hall Royd Junction seemed an unlikely origin, it looks as if this train actually originates from Gascoigne Wood sidings and reverses at Bradford Interchange and Hall Royd Junction, making 7 reversals in all.

Edit 2: I'm fed up of giving links here but why stop this mystery tour at Ilkley? It seems that it reverses again at Ilkley (number 8) and runs to Skipton (number 9) then to Leeds (number 10) to Knaresborough (number 11) to Leeds (yet again) to Malton (number 12) to end up at York Thrall Europa.

12 reversals in one night?

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
I should have said passenger train ;)
Can someone tell me what this Friday night special is that supposedly wends its way around West Yorkshire with 5 reversals?

Hall Royd Junction-> Halifax (reverse) ->Huddersfield (reverse) -> Halifax (again) -> Bradford Interchange (reverse) -> Leeds (reverse) -> Shipley (reverse) -> Ilkley

Edit: Hall Royd Junction seemed an unlikely origin, it looks as if this train actually originates from Gascoigne Wood sidings and reverses at Bradford Interchange and Hall Royd Junction, making 7 reversals in all.

Edit 2: I'm fed up of giving links here but why stop this mystery tour at Ilkley? It seems that it reverses again at Ilkley (number 8) and runs to Skipton (number 9) then to Leeds (number 10) to Knaresborough (number 11) to Leeds (yet again) to Malton (number 12) to end up at York Thrall Europa.

12 reversals in one night?

That is impressive!

lejog

Established Member
RHTT seems likely - someone posted here in 2012 with details of night photos and a video at various stations in W Yorks. Thanks
I should have said passenger train ;)

That is impressive!

Actually after posting it occured to be it may be 13. The last leg from Malton passes through York station, so does it then have to reverse to get to the sidings?

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
RHTT seems likely - someone posted here in 2012 with details of night photos and a video at various stations in W Yorks. Thanks

Actually after posting it occured to be it may be 13. The last leg from Malton passes through York station, so does it then have to reverse to get to the sidings?

Wow, that's impressive!

lejog

Established Member
I think it takes the title of the West Yorkshire Grand Tour away from the Selby->Bradford->Huddersfield->Wakefield train. :lol:

Last edited:

Townsend Hook

Up until 2007 there was the Saturday-only South West Trains Brighton-Paignton service, reversing at Portsmouth & S'sea and Exeter St Davids.

Status
Not open for further replies.