• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most sparse platform at a major station

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
At most major stations, each platform has a range of facilites, usually some kind of coffee shop; toilets; a waiting room and possibly more. But some stations have very sparse platforms with not many facilities.

Which platform is the most sparse at a major station? I'm going to define "major station" in this case as anything which is DfT category A or B or similar sized stations in Scotland (though feel free to discuss larger stations in category C if you feel it's relevant). Bonus points if it's short or curved enough that there are trains serving that station that can't use that platform, if it takes a long time to walk to, or if anything else makes it incovenient!

I'll start with Stockport platform 0. There is a tiny waiting room (though it is properly indoors and is heated), there is step-free access from the entrance to platform level, the platform is covered by a canopy and there are dot matrix indicators and automated announcements.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Platform 7 at Nottingham. It has a canopy that doesn't stop you getting wet, lift access, info screens and a ticket machine.

Platforms 13/14 at Manchester Piccadilly which have been asset stripped intentionally to discourage people from hanging around on them.

Platform 1 at Manchester Oxford Road, no lift access or much else. Just an info screen.

sd0733

Established Member
Platform 0 at Cardiff Central must be in with a shout. Its just a platform and a basic bus shelter and not a lot else. Its almost isolated from the rest of the station and isnt even inside the barrier line.

Iskra

Established Member
Platform 17 at Leeds, has a partial roof over a short part of it's length and a couple of PIS. That's it.

Sheffield Platform 2C just has a screen and a bench, no canopy. It is on an island with more facilities but they are down the other end, a bit like the Ormskirk platforms at Preston.

The Doncaster South bays are pretty sparse too, but they aren't as long a walk to facilities as some of the other examples.

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
None of the platforms at Birmingham New Street really have ‘facilities’. Passengers are basically encouraged to wait at concourse
/lounge level (where plenty of facilities are available) until their train is near.

I presume that the OP is ignoring terminal stations, where again facilities are generally on the concourse.

Clansman

Established Member
Platform 1 in Aberdeen. Essentially just an ostrisised bay at the top of the station used for stabling moves.

No signage, no number, no tactles, nothing but crooked concrete muck. Expected, for a platform not used by passenger services in decades.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Newcastle Platform 8 is basically just the tail end of Platform 7.

I don't think it has the luxury of anything at all other than perhaps a couple of seats and a howling wind?

London Trains

Looking at the types of facilities people are saying, every London Terminal easily qualifies. People are encouraged to wait on the concourse and usually there is absolutely nothing on the platform.

Zooty

Lancaster platform 1. No seats, no shelter, no PIS visible from the platform itself. And it's rather short.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Newport Platform One is pretty much un-serviced, albeit that there is a toilet near to the entrance.

matchmaker

Established Member
At most major stations, each platform has a range of facilites, usually some kind of coffee shop; toilets; a waiting room and possibly more. But some stations have very sparse platforms with not many facilities.

Which platform is the most sparse at a major station? I'm going to define "major station" in this case as anything which is DfT category A or B (though feel free to discuss larger stations in category C if you feel it's relevant). Bonus points if it's short or curved enough that there are trains serving that station that can't use that platform, if it takes a long time to walk to, or if anything else makes it incovenient!

I'll start with Stockport platform 0. There is a tiny waiting room (though it is properly indoors and is heated), there is step-free access from the entrance to platform level, the platform is covered by a canopy and there are dot matrix indicators and automated announcements.

That's a pointless Wikipedia page. It doesn't contain any Scottish stations!

aliceh

Bournemouth platform 4? It's technically just an extension of 3 but has almost nothing bar, i think, one departure board. It doesn't often get used but it's in regular use now with the temporary timetable.

alangla

Stirling P10 has practically nothing on it IIRC, thankfully after resignalling the bays in the centre of the station are now usable instead. Also, same part of the world but maybe not enough journeys to fit with the OP, Perth seems a pretty desolate place all round if I remember right.

route:oxford

Established Member
Stirling P10 has practically nothing on it IIRC, thankfully after resignalling the bays in the centre of the station are now usable instead. Also, same part of the world but maybe not enough journeys to fit with the OP, Perth seems a pretty desolate place all round if I remember right.

Doesn't the early/late LNER service often end up in there?

Are the Perth end bays (at Stirling) now signalled for passenger use?

Taunton

Established Member
Every single platform at Euston. Like other termini with concourses there are no platform facilities, but Euston just seems raw concrete and a motley collection of servicing equipment left higgledy-piggledy.

Parallel

Established Member
Platform 0 at Cardiff Central must be in with a shout. Its just a platform and a basic bus shelter and not a lot else. Its almost isolated from the rest of the station and isnt even inside the barrier line.
I agree with this. The platform really feels quite desolate. It’s relatively short and narrow with no facilities except the bus shelters (as you said) and CIS. I believe there is an assistance booth but it seems to be closed/unstaffed, though it’s probably not really needed with the main booking hall and assistance desks located downstairs. Platform 8 was definitely an improvement over Platform 0, with a waiting area, toilets and staff, but there again, it gets many more departures an hour.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Most platforms everywhere during April and May if spartan means low passenger numbers! But 13/14 at Piccadilly are definitely a contender under normal circumstances.

Any platform 3 and up at Glasgow Central. There is nothing at all other than a spattering of benches (and they are pretty rare too) once you go beyond the gate line. So, if your train is called and you go through the gate, then it is delayed, you are pretty much left to just stand about. Not so much as a coffee available, unless you get back through the gate (with a now marked invalid ticket, so requiring assistance to get out and back in again).

Status
Not open for further replies.