• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most stations served nonstop to/from any station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

London Trains

Just realised there must be loads of others on small branches, eg Gunnislake (Calstock), Stourbridge Town (Stourbridge Jn).....

Epsom Downs (Banstead)
Windsor and Eton Central (Slough)
Greenford (South Greenford)
Aylesbury Vale Parkway (Aylesbury)
St Albans Abbey (Park Street)
Marlow (Bourne End)
Henley on Thames (Shiplake)
Shepperton (Upper Halliford)
Chessington South (Chessington North)
Hampton Court (Thames Ditton)
Windsor and Eton Riverside (Datchet)
Tattenham Corner (Tadworth)
Caterham (Whyteleafe South)
Portsmouth Harbour (Portsmouth & Southsea)
Bognor Regis (Barnham)
Seafood (Bishopstone)
Heathrow T4 (Heathrow T123)
Heathrow T5 (Heathrow T123)
Alton (Bentley)
Redditch (Alvechurch)
Stourbridge Town (Stourbridge Junction)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly:

Levenshulme
Stockport
Crewe (late night Avanti)
Stoke on Trent (late night XC)
Mauldeth Road
East Didsbury
Heald Green
Manchester Airport
Manchester Oxford Road
Manchester Victoria (night TPE)
Liverpool Lime Street (night Northern)
Huddersfield (night TPE)
Leeds (night TPE)
Chester (night TfW)
Chinley (night Northern)
Warrington Central (night Northern)
Salford Crescent (night Northern)
Leyland (night Northern)
Preston (night Northern and TPE)
Newton le Willows (one TfW)
Deansgate (peak Northern)
Ardwick
Ashburys
Stalybridge
Gorton
Reddish North

You can add Gatley (TPE from Redcar CTL), Burnage (Northern from Barrow/Windermere), Ryder Brow (1 Northern per weekday), Wilmslow (1 Northern per weekday).

London Trains

I have found services to Birmingham New Street from Sutton Coldfield and Ashchurch for Tewkesbury so that comes to 30.

London Trains

but the thread is about the greatest number of stations served from places, so New St to Ashchurch counts, the Lichfield city starter is pretty well irrelevant.

The thread is about the greatest numbers of stations served nonstop to and/OR from a station so both are acceptable.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ah I forgot about that service!

There definitely used to be some XC services stopping at Solihull. Appears there arent anymore, my mistake.

Not regularly for 17 years (save possibly for occasional engineering works when the Coventry route is unavailable)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not regularly for 17 years (save possibly for occasional engineering works when the Coventry route is unavailable)

I'm sure Cross Country voyagers used to stop at Solihull until relatively recently - 17 years since they last did seems too long ago to me.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm sure Cross Country voyagers used to stop at Solihull until relatively recently - 17 years since they last did seems too long ago to me.

Regular stops were taken out in the recovery from Operation Princess in May 2003 and never re-instated.

Fairly sure the 'VT 4/5 Car Stop' markers are however probably still present on the platform, and I'm pretty sure calls are occasionally made during engineering works (for a bus lik to Birmingham Airport)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For example, London Euston:
  • Preston
So that's 20 places served nonstop. I may have missed a few, please tell me if I have!

I didn't think any services ran non stop to Preston from London Euston anymore?

Correct - there are no Euston Preston or vv non stop runs anymore.

Also

Preston?
  • Glasgow Central
  • London Euston
So that's 23. But add other sleeper stops I've missed out and maybe Penrith and it surely runs close?

You can take London Euston out as described above and Glasgow Central (the 16.30 from Euston to Glasgow used to run non-stop Preston to GC but that stopped about 5 years ago)

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Regular stops were taken out in the recovery from Operation Princess in May 2003 and never re-instated.

Not convinced I'm afraid. :)

I'm sure they stopped there post the Operation Princess debacle. I'll see if I can find some old timetables.

Sprinter107

Not convinced I'm afraid. :)

I'm sure they stopped there post the Operation Princess debacle. I'll see if I can find some old timetables.
The Cross Country services havent called at Solihull for many years now. 2003 sounds about right.

cle

Established Member
The stop got pulled when they stopped serving other places such as Portsmouth etc. They still go through there every hour, shame the stop isnt re instated.
This is the right answer, they go that way (i.e. not via Coventry, partly due to the single track through Kenilworth) but don't call in case of need to divert.

It's definitely a quicker way to Birmingham itself, useful if that was the ambition (e.g. another fast service) but misses Intl and Coventry. That was going to change once the electric spine and Kenilworth doubling went ahead, but now, who knows if still planned.

London Trains

This is the right answer, they go that way (i.e. not via Coventry, partly due to the single track through Kenilworth) but don't call in case of need to divert.

I thought it was due to capacity on the New St - Intl - Coventry corridor because of the mix of stopping LNWR and fast Avanti and XC services.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Also, having a Voyager being crowded out with people on cheap PTE tickets between Solihull and Birmingham to the disbenefit of everybody else.

I thought it was due to capacity on the New St - Intl - Coventry corridor because of the mix of stopping LNWR and fast Avanti and XC services.

I understand that it was originally intended to go via Coventry in Dec 2008, but capacity Coventry-Kenilworth wasn't sufficient.

The Coventry corridor timetable then got built not allowing for it.

So now *both* act as the constraint in diverting via Coventry. Solve one and you still need to solve the other too.

London Trains

Solve one and you still need to solve the other too.

Doesnt seem like too hard of a problem to redouble Coventry - Leamington but the New St - Coventry corridor is a major issue.

Maybe terminating the TfW at New St could work?

VT 390

Established Member
Reading has a few:
  • Twyford
  • Maidenhead
  • Slough
  • London Paddington
  • Tilehurst
  • Didcot Parkway
  • Oxford
  • Swindon
  • Reading West
  • Basingstoke
  • Earley
  • Winnersh
  • Wokingham
  • Guildford
  • Theale
  • Newbury
  • Pewsey
  • Taunton

greyman42

Established Member
York:
  • Doncaster
  • Retford
  • Peterborough
  • Stevenage
  • London Kings Cross
  • Thirsk
  • Northallerton
  • Darlington
  • Poppleton
  • Ulleskelf
  • Church Fenton
  • Selby
  • Malton
  • Leeds
  • Garforth
  • Scarborough (summer only)
That's 16 so not as many as some but still quite a few.
Which service is non stop from/to Stevenage ?

Nottingham:

Chesterfield
Alfreton
Langley Mill
East Midlands Parkway
Loughborough
Newark Castle
Lowdham
Derby
Long Eaton
Melton Mowbray
Hucknall
Grantham
Radcliffe
Bingham

So a poor 14. I was amazed to find we no longer have a non stop train to Leicester. There used to be a lot more but some of the more unusual patterns on the branches have disappeared.

Last edited:

London Trains

Nottingham:

Chesterfield
Alfreton
Langley Mill
East Midlands Parkway
Loughborough
Newark Castle
Lowdham
Derby
Long Eaton
Melton Mowbray
Hucknall
Grantham
Radcliffe
Bingham

So a poor 14. I was amazed to find we no longer have a none stop train to Leicester. There used to be a lot more but some of the more unusual patterns on the branches have disappeared.

Beeston?

Eloise

Nottingham:

Chesterfield
Alfreton
Langley Mill
East Midlands Parkway
Loughborough
Newark Castle
Lowdham
Derby
Long Eaton
Melton Mowbray
Hucknall
Grantham
Radcliffe
Bingham

So a poor 14. I was amazed to find we no longer have a none stop train to Leicester. There used to be a lot more but some of the more unusual patterns on the branches have disappeared.
Carlton, Netherfield, Ilkeston, Bulwell.

I used the criteria of 'skip at least one station' as outlined in post number 2 for Leeds. Obviously if you add the 5 stations adjacent to Nottingham that takes the tally to 19.

si404

Established Member
The stop got pulled when they stopped serving other places such as Portsmouth etc. They still go through there every hour, shame the stop isnt re instated.
This was probably the source of confusion - the trains do go through Solihull, the route through the town appears on the map, as such its existence on the XC network wasn't abolished in the same way that other places where and so its presumed to be a more recent change.
That was going to change once the electric spine and Kenilworth doubling went ahead, but now, who knows if still planned.
Transport for West Midlands/Midlands Connect/some other subnational planning authority seem to have redoubling and electrification of Coventry-Leamington as a post-HS2 (for paths Brum-Cov ro run services) project.

Even though the Electric Spine seems to be pining for the fjords, this is likely to happen* as the West Midlands has got rail projects done recently (Bromsgrove, Chase Line sparks, Kenilworth, etc) and a rolling programme (various stations such as the Camp Hill and Wolves - Walsall line) in the next few years before HS2 allows their big vision to occur (Bordesley chords, Cov-Leam, big frequency boosts, etc).

*as likely as any scheme that won't start construction for a decade, anyway.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Glasgow Central 23

Cardonald
Hillington East
Hillington West
Paisley Gilmour St
Kilwinning
Crossmyloof
Barrhead
Dunlop
Clarkston
Polloksheilds West
Polloksheilds East
Muirend
Motherwell
Cambuslang
Bellshill
Uddingston
Argyle St
Anderston
Exhibition Centre
Bridgeton
Carstairs
Lockerbie
Carlisle

Have I missed any?

Pollokshaws West? (Mainly the Sunday Kilmarnock services)

I was going to say Irvine but that service calls at Paisley before running nonstop.

Parallel

Established Member
Bristol Temple Meads has at least 15

Bristol Parkway
Filton Abbey Wood
Newport (one Saturday night service non stop Newport - Bristol)
Stapleton Road
Lawrence Hill
Bedminster
Parson Street
Nailsea and Backwell
Weston-super-Mare
Taunton
Keynsham
Bath Spa
Bradford on Avon (one early morning to London Paddington via Trowbridge)
Yatton

Used to have a morning service where the first stop was Oldfield Park but this doesn’t seem to run anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.