• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most steps to reach a platform, with no alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Following on from a post regarding the number of steps to reach the platforms at Merseyrail’s Hillside station, which stations have the most inaccessible walking route to some or all of the platforms from street level?

Criteria options:

1. Number of steps to platform that are not serviced by a lift or ramp - like Hillside

2. Long trek from main station entrance to some of the platforms - like Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13 and 14

3. Stations in the middle of nowhere with no road access - like Dovey Junction/Barney Arms

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L401CJF

Established Member
Im pretty sure Bromborough (I think) on Merseyrail has ramps to both platforms, but they're stepped ramps I think so not a great deal of use. The alternative way down is via the footbridge (stairs).

Not exactly the most steps in the world but an inconvenience at best.

lxfe_mxtterz

May I just clarify whether steps, as in stairs, are meant here, or steps as in the walking measurement?

Either way, Ardwick station is a bit of a trek from street level to the platforms, with a fair few stairs too.

Leisurefirst

Might need a new category but that enforced never-ending rampfest at Northumberland Park to reach the Southbound platforms post a Tottenham game.

Springs Branch

Established Member
The OP didn't specify "Britain only", so I'll throw in the famous Doai station in Japan.

It's 486 steps (no lift or escalator) down to one of the platforms, which is 230ft underground in the middle of a 8.4-mile long rail tunnel (according to WP). Search YouTube for videos showing the tortuous (and eerie) journey up or down.

Shotts isn't too bad in terms of stairs, but it does have the most ridiculous ramp I've ever seen.

I know there are accessibility requirements, maximum slopes, and the need for a flat rest area every now and again. But what on earth is this?

0_Shotts-Rail-Station.jpg

pdeaves

Established Member
Shotts isn't too bad in terms of stairs, but it does have the most ridiculous ramp I've ever seen.

I know there are accessibility requirements, maximum slopes, and the need for a flat rest area every now and again. But what on earth is this?

View attachment 91219
At least there are steps! Lots of people seem to think 'ramps for easy access', forgetting that many people can do steps (at their own speed) but not long distances or on sloped ground.

lxfe_mxtterz

geoffk

Established Member
Exeter St. Thomas is above street level and has neither ramps nor lifts, but I don't know how many steps there are - I would think more than 50.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
The eastbound platform at Todmorden has about 25 steps down to the subway with no ramp or lift. I’ll count them sometime

Hyndland station in Glasgow was a particularly bad example. It was between a hospital and a residential area. The only way to access the station from the hospital was an underpass with stairs at both ends. The only way to access it from the residential area was a big concrete footbridge.

For a station at a hospital, the accessibility was really poor. Anyone cutting through the station from the residential area to the hospital had to go up the stairs to the footbridge, down the stairs to the platform, down more stairs into the underpass, then up the stairs to get back to ground level.

The footbridge and underpass are visible in the photo below.

The station was remodelled about five years ago. There's a new footbridge that goes right across the station with three lifts and three staircases - one at each side and one on the platform.

Attachments

• Hyndland_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_668508.jpg
    Hyndland_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_668508.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 32

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Hertford North has one heck of a lot of steps (which I've lifted a buggy down....)

Llandudno

Established Member
The eastbound platform at Todmorden has about 25 steps down to the subway with no ramp or lift. I’ll count them sometime
I will vouch for that having had a few pints in the excellent micropub and a curry before catching the train to Leeds!

SteveM70

Established Member
I will vouch for that having had a few pints in the excellent micropub and a curry before catching the train to Leeds!

I miss going to that pub. It became my (sort of - it’s a mile or so) new local when I moved house early last year

rower40

My local station - Willington. 38 steps from ground level to both platforms. On a number of instances, I've been waiting on the Up Platform for the only train in the next two hours, and someone wanting to go towards Birmingham is waiting on the Down platform. I've had to shout across to let them know that they have to change platform, to double-back via Derby. So they have to go down 38 steps, then back up the 38 on the other side.

Taunton

Established Member
At least there are steps! Lots of people seem to think 'ramps for easy access', forgetting that many people can do steps (at their own speed) but not long distances or on sloped ground.
One of the issues with that is that steps, as in the picture, may be part of the design, but if you start to run out of budget they are an easy target to reduce costs. The law requires you to have the ramp, so that can't go. Nothing requires you to do anything sensible for the remaining bulk of passengers.

Bigman

Shipley is bad if you are walking down from the town. If you go down by Platform 1, to get to Platform 4 you have to go up and over the footbridge, walk right over to Platform 3 and then over another footbridge or under the underpass.

Status
Not open for further replies.