• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Multiple shortest routes virtually the same length

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenMan

Established Member
I was looking up the shortest routes from Blackwater (BAW) to Clapham Junction (CLJ) - a little research as NRE (incorrectly) sometimes disallows one of the routes as part of a longer journey.

The distances are remarkably similar, according to http://www.brroutes.com/mileage/#new?:-

38 miles 68 chains: via Guildford - Effingham Junction - Surbiton*
39 miles 12 chains: via Wokingham - Ascot - Richmond

* The "normal" i.e. fastest, route via Guildford - Woking is 39 miles 20 chains.

Only 24 chains difference for two completely different routes.

Can this difference be beaten?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

damo44

Radyr to Cardiff Central via Danescourt 4m59ch

Radyr to Cardiff Central via Llandaff 4m79ch. Difference 20 chains

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Birmingham New Street to London Euston via Coventry & Milton Keynes is 112 miles and 60 chains.

Birmingham Snow Hill to London Marylebone via Banbury and High Wycombe is 112 miles and 20 chains.

kieron

Established Member
Sutton Common to Streatham - only 8 chains difference!
There are 8 chains between the shortest two routes between Caergwrle and Bebington (via Shotton and Neston, and Shotton and Chester) according to that site. The next shortest route (via Wrexham General and Chester) is another 25 chains further.

And it states that you travel an extra 6 chains if you go between Carluke and Motherwell via Wishaw rather than using the avoiding line.

Most trains which call at Carluke go via Wishaw, but there are a few exceptions such as this one.

Looking at the engine, I notice that it says you save 7 chains by going through Apperley Bridge between Leeds and Shipley compared with avoiding it. The Apperley Bridge platforms are 14 chains apart according to the Sectional Appendix, so that's not the reason for the discrepency.

The real next longest route is via Baildon, and the 4 miles on the site looks correct to me.

It may be a good idea to treat the results the page gives with a little caution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.