• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - named stations that were located outside their towns etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian M

Hoping to get a few replies to this as I know of only one at the moment.

I suspect any indicated may be on a similar footing to mine in being physically located within the confines of an adjacent village, but it will be interesting to see if any really major stations, relative to towns, qualify.

I would not expect to include any stations with a suffix of 'Road' as many of these would, by necessity, have been outside of their home named territory.

Hope this is an acceptable thread and has not been done before (so will obviously understand if moderated)

My starter:

Highclere - a Hampshire station, closed in 1960, that was on the ex Didcot, Newbury & Southampton line, and which was actually located in the adjacent village of Burghclere (which also had it's own 'Burghclere' station ! )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lemmy99uk

Bootle (Cumbria) is located in the village of Hycemoor, a couple of miles away.

Old Hill Bank

Berkswell is actually in Balsall Common, Rowley Regis is in Blackheath (and formally called Rowley Regis and Blackheath).

Last edited:

Harbouring

Swanwick is in park gate, and it serves lots of small little old villages that are essentially one now big continuous area.

83G/84D

Established Member
Bugle station on the Newquay branch is a good half a mile or more from the centre of Bugle and is in fact nearer Victoria.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The station for Ratho was so far away that a new community grew up around it, named Ratho Station. There are several other similar examples.

Long Eaton station was closed when the line it sat on became freight only. Sawley Junction, a mile or so away in, er, Sawley, was re-named as Long Eaton.

thenorthern

Established Member
Tiverton Parkway in somewhere that isn't Tiverton, Sandbach station in Elworth, Dinsdale station in Middleton St. George, Cark and Cartmel is in Flookbrough and I don't understand the Cartmel part and Uphall station is in Livingston.

snowball

Established Member
The village of Kiveton Park is nearer to Kiveton Bridge station than to Kiveton Park station. The small settlement around Kiveton Park station is known as Kiveton Park Station.

Kiveton Bridge station is almost in Wales.

xotGD

Established Member
Heighington is on the edge of Aycliffe industrial estate, and closer to Aycliffe Village than Heighington.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Swanwick is in park gate, and it serves lots of small little old villages that are essentially one now big continuous area.
It's difficult to work out from the old OS maps which of Park Gate and Swanwick was the bigger place back when the line opened. It looks as if the station is about half way between two equally sleepy hollows in about 1895. Perhaps they just tossed a coin...

thenorthern

Established Member
Many stations are in suburbs of the town or city for example Livingston North is in Deans and Livingston South is in Deadridge. Also Lond Eaton station is in Sawley, Litchfield Trent Valley is in Streetley and many others but I wouldn't say they are outside the town or city.

Back to the question though Seamer station is defiantly not in Seamer and Sutton Parkway is in Kirkby-in-Ashfield.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Possibly we should exclude Parkways too as, like 'Road' the very name suggests they are not in the eponymous towns, but if we're allowing them then Bristol Parkway is in Stoke Gifford which is outside the City and County of Bristol in the South Gloucestershire Council area. Having said that, it is now very much within the Bristol urban area.

Clansman

Established Member
What about instances like Glenrothes with Thornton, which is in Thornton, and not in Glenrothes?

greaterwest

Established Member
Wanborough station is in Flexford, with Normandy to the north and Wanborough itself to the south.

PeterC

Established Member
Tring was built in open country and has acquired a still separate settlement called Tring Station.
Colchester was well outside of the town when built but the suburbs have spread to meet it. The local bus timetables still, I think, call it "North Station".

I was going to quote Hemel Hempstead which is in Boxmoor but the station was originally just Boxmoor and didn't become Hemel Hempsted and Boxmoor until 1930 as the town on the other side of the moor started to expand.

Established Member
Manningtree is in Lawford, and pushing the point a bit Harwich International is in Parkeston.

delt1c

Established Member
Waltham Cross and Abbey. This was correctly renamed Waltham Cross as it is in Waltham Cross and 1.5 miles from Waltham Abbey

Essan

Many of the stations on the Cotswold line were built in open countryside. Kingham is on the road between Kingham and Bledington, slightly closer to the latter. Shipton, Finstock and Combe are also outside of their respective villages. Pershore was built a good mile or more out of town and is closer to Pinvin, although the town has since extended north towards the station.

Lockwood

ISTR Micheldever is another one where a settlement emerged around the station, named Micheldever Station?

Portsmouth Arms is not near Portsmouth.
If we include DLR, Cyrpus is not near Cyprus.
I'll get my coat.

davetheguard

Established Member
Midgham between Reading and Newbury on the Berks & Hants route (which doesn't go through Hampshire!) is not in Midgham village, but in Woolhampton. I've heard it claimed that the name was changed because of confusion between Woolhampton & Wolverhampton......

mlambeuk

Malton Station is actually in Norton
Seamer is in Crossgates.
Both on The York to Scarborough line.

lejog

Established Member
Ashwell and Morden is a couple of miles from Ashwell and even further from Steeple Morden or Guilden Morden.

Status
Not open for further replies.