• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - named stations that were located outside their towns etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Burnham (Buckinghamshire) is actually in Slough (Berkshire)
The station is in the historic parish of Burnham. Slough and the southern part of Burnham which has been absorbed into the suburbs of Slough were in Bucks until 1974.

mp01

Might be a tenuous answer but one platform of Energlyn & Churchill Park isn't in Energlyn and the other one isn't in Churchill Park.

Calthrop

Established Member
My missus is from Limerick.. I can confirm that your assumed pronunciation of Foynes is correct.

Thanks for info. I can't be the only English railway enthusiast, interested in Irish railways but with minimal personal links with Ireland; who saw various Irish place-names with railway relevance, in print, very long before ever hearing them spoken by an Irish person -- and thus pronunciation-wise, rendered them in own head, "as best could" but as it turned out, wrongly.

The wonderful place just on the Republic side of the border, which until sixty years ago was a four-way junction for secondary lines of the GNR(I) -- Clones -- I mentally pronounced for very many years, monosyllabically, as one might refer to a plural quantity of biological entities copied by means of scientific wizardry. Hearing for the first time, the name said by an Irish person: I learnt that it's "Cloh-ness" -- two syllables, ending in soft "s" as in "west", not the "z" sound as in "towns". Similarly I found that Thurles, down south, is pronounced "Thur-less". I'd have assumed Foynes to be similarly "Foy-ness" -- which pardonably, I hadn't known at the age of twelve -- but in fact, then, it is pronounced "Foinz". Well, humans are famously not consistent or predictable; and in language-related matters, regional variations are numerous.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Sincere apologies for being pedantic but calling Cowgill a village is stretching things a bit!
Basically Dent station isn't in anywhere.
It's rumoured that a visitor asked a stoical local why the station had been built so far from Dent and recieved a typically blunt Northern Dales reply: "Happen they needed it near't railway lines".
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....1478227.Bradford___s_own_Alpine_railway_line/
I'm sure I've seen something similar attributed to one of the directors of the Midland at the opening ceremony but I can't turn that up in an Internet search.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
If we include DLR, Cyrpus is not near Cyprus.
I'll get my coat.

It's a good deal nearer to Cyprus than East India station is to - well, any part of India really!

Staying on the DLR, it always amuses me that the station in the middle of Greenwich is called Cutty Sark, while Greenwich station is a bit out of the centre. (Not really within the bounds of this thread though as it is still in the area of Greenwich. And obviously there are historical reasons for those names, with Greenwich station having been around a good deal longer than Cutty Sark station).

The boundaries of towns within London is a bit hard to determine, but it looks to me like Harrow-on-the-Hill is in the middle of Harrow (Harrow-on-the-Hill being a separate settlement a mile or so away, and funnily enough up on the hill!). While up the road, Harrow and Wealdstone station would arguably be far more appropriately named as simply Wealdstone, as it's not really near Harrow (the town)

Going further up the line, if I recall correctly, Carpenders Park, is located next to the shopping centre for what is arguably South Oxhey, while Bushey station is in Oxhey, a suburb of Watford. Bushey (the town) is about a mile away. (Is there some little-known curse that stops stations having 'Oxhey' in their name? :) )

John07

The original Stathpeffer Station on the Dingwall and Skye Line was some distance from the town. Apparently the local landowner refused to let the railway run through the town. It was the only substantial town on the route. Later a branch to Strathpeffer was opened and the original station was renamed Achterneed.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Sincere apologies for being pedantic but calling Cowgill a village is stretching things a bit!

Well as at 2016 Cowgill had a population of 181, so I'd say that's enough to call itself a village surely? And in keeping with the pedantic tone, this is a definition of a village:

A group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area.

As opposed to a hamlet:

A small settlement, generally one smaller than a village, and strictly (in Britain) one without a church.

(Quotes taken direct from Google Search)

And as Cowgill has a church, well you get my drift..... ;)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Going further up the line, if I recall correctly, Carpenders Park, is located next to the shopping centre for what is arguably South Oxhey, while Bushey station is in Oxhey, a suburb of Watford. Bushey (the town) is about a mile away. (Is there some little-known curse that stops stations having 'Oxhey' in their name? :) )
Bushey station has been known as "Bushey and Oxhey" in the past.

keith1879

Responding belatedly: Lynton station was in fact a considerable (and toilsome) way uphill from Lynton itself -- one of a number of factors which combined to make the Lynton & Barnstaple less of a success, than one would have wished for it. The topic of Lynton station and its location vis-a-vis the two villages is discussed in the threads "Most-loved English classic narrow-gauge line" (commenced 14 / 4 / 16) and "A heretical notion" (commenced 4 / 1 / 17) in the "Railway History and Nostalgia" sub-forum.

Thanks! I wonder if we will ever get there by train again ....it looks a bit more likely these days!

snowball

Established Member
I'm sure I've seen something similar attributed to one of the directors of the Midland at the opening ceremony but I can't turn that up in an Internet search.
Long ago I heard a version in which it was said (not in dialect) by the chief engineer at the opening ceremony in reply to a question. I posted it on here but I forget when or in which thread.

Ahh yes Burnham is in West Slough, if it were renamed it should be named Slough Trading Estate, UK's biggest trading Estate

RPI

Established Member
Bugle station on the Newquay branch is a good half a mile or more from the centre of Bugle and is in fact nearer Victoria.
I think you're getting bugle and Roche mixed up there!

PeterC

Established Member
Ahh yes Burnham is in West Slough, if it were renamed it should be named Slough Trading Estate, UK's biggest trading Estate
But it isn't in the trading estate either. It is in the original parish of Burnham and when I worked in the area the name was used for the area from the station to the old village centre without regard for where the new (1974) county boundary runs.

The station is in the region Slough Borough Council and Burnham Village centre is in the region of South Bucks District Council

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Weeton station, on the Leeds-Harrogate line, is located in the centre of a sizeable village. Unfortunately that village is Huby, the settlement of Weeton being located about 3 miles to the southeast and somewhat smaller. Something to do with placating the landowner when the Leeds & Thirsk Railway was being built I believe.

Sceptre

Brighouse station, being south of the River Calder, is actually in the neighbouring village of Rastrick.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Well as at 2016 Cowgill had a population of 181, so I'd say that's enough to call itself a village surely? And in keeping with the pedantic tone, this is a definition of a village:

As opposed to a hamlet:

(Quotes taken direct from Google Search)

And as Cowgill has a church, well you get my drift..... ;)

In terms of population alone 181 people is not in my mind enough to call it a village, especially as you would struggle to define where Cowgill finishes and ends. Certainly if you look at the area immediately around the church you would struggle to find 181 people. My in-laws have their address shown as Cowgill and yet they are some distance (by foot) from the church. In their mind the local village is Dent at just under 800 people.

RichmondCommu

Established Member

route:oxford

Established Member
Possibly we should exclude Parkways too as, like 'Road' the very name suggests they are not in the eponymous towns, but if we're allowing them then Bristol Parkway is in Stoke Gifford which is outside the City and County of Bristol in the South Gloucestershire Council area. Having said that, it is now very much within the Bristol urban area.

Likewise Oxford Parkway isn't in Oxford.

PeterC

Established Member
The station is in the region Slough Borough Council and Burnham Village centre is in the region of South Bucks District Council
So you are saying that it should have been renamed in 1974 in line with the local government reorganisation?

alistairlees

Established Member
Weeton station, on the Leeds-Harrogate line, is located in the centre of a sizeable village. Unfortunately that village is Huby, the settlement of Weeton being located about 3 miles to the southeast and somewhat smaller. Something to do with placating the landowner when the Leeds & Thirsk Railway was being built I believe.

It's actually only just over a mile. But otherwise you are absolutely right.

Bantamzen

Established Member
In terms of population alone 181 people is not in my mind enough to call it a village, especially as you would struggle to define where Cowgill finishes and ends. Certainly if you look at the area immediately around the church you would struggle to find 181 people. My in-laws have their address shown as Cowgill and yet they are some distance (by foot) from the church. In their mind the local village is Dent at just under 800 people.

By definition Cowgill is a village, as explained above. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'd find even smaller populations which are defined as villages. But all of this is getting way off topic, the fact still remains that Dent station is a considerable distance from the village from which it takes it's name.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Llandaff station in Cardiff is actually in Llandaff North, and it's a good walk from the station to the village.

D365

Veteran Member
I believe most of Cambridge North station actually falls outside the Cambridge city boundary, actually in South Cambridgeshire.

Don’t think so? Falls under Chesterton which is a City suburb.

Status
Not open for further replies.