• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Names or shortened forms of names which don't give away your gender

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Under equal opportunities you often don't have to declare things like your age, gender, religion etc. However, most of the time giving your name gives away your gender but in some instances it may not.

For example:
Alex is used as a shortened form of both Alexander and Alexandra.
Ali is increasingly being used as a shortened form of Alison as well as being a male name of Arabic? origin.
Charlie is increasingly being used as a shortened form of Charlotte as well as Charlie.
Jo is normally a shortened form of Joanne/Joanna with Joe being a shortened form of Joseph but there's exceptions e.g. Jo Johnson and Swedish novelist Jo Nesbo.
Sam is used as a shortened form of Samantha and Samuel.

Are there many other names from which you can't tell the gender of the person from the name?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
Hillary as in Hilary Benn - but not sure if Hillary (as in Clinton) with the double l is the gender difference.
Alice as in Cooper and my old lady.
Pat.

PeterC

Established Member
Ali is also a diminutive of Alastair / Alisdair

Sandy - For men a nickname but also diminutive of Sandra

When spoken Francis / Frances but both can be Frankie

and Leslie / Lesley

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Drew Barrymore (female actor) and myself (male non-celeb)...
Cameron Jerome (male footballer) and Cameron Diaz (female actor)...
Jerry Seinfeld (male comedian) and Jerry Hall (female model and apparent serial-marrier-of-ugly-old-men).
Oh, and:
Shirley Temple (female actor/diplomat) and Shirley Crabtree (male wrestler).

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Stevie (Stephen (or Steven) / Stephanie)

I was thinking of Stevie Nicks from the 1977 and 1987 line up of Fleetwood Mac that recorded the Rumours album and Tango in the Night album respectively.

Also Lindsey can be both male and female as well (Lindsey Buckingham).

Established Member
Vic for Victoria or Victor.

Incidentally, I used to work with a lady called Christine who signed up to a casting agency for potential roles as an extra. One day, she was called by the agency about a role, although as she went by Chris, they assumed she was male. Apparently they were very embarrassed when she corrected them and said Chris was actually short for Christine, not Christopher.

PeterC

Established Member
American guitarist D L Menard (1932 - 2017) was christened Doris which is probably why he was always known by his initials.

Groningen

Established Member
One could better call a list for names suitable for boys and girls; ok, some Dutch names included.

Alex Anne Bo/Beau Bobby Charlie/Charly Chris Daan/Daantje Dominique Gaby Guus/Guusje
Harper Henny Jack/Jacky James Jessie Jip Jos Jules Kim Luca Marijn Marlijn Maxime Nicky Noa/Noah
Pascal René/Renée Robin Ruby Sam Sanne Sasha/Sascha Senna Sydney Yaniek

Crossover

Established Member
Jamie (not a shortening, but I know people of both genders with this name)

Nic - shortening of Nicholas/Nicola

PeterC

Established Member
Peter / Peta, easy to distinguish in writing but pronounced the same (as is the surname Petre)

341o2

Established Member
Jordan, boy's name also Katie Price
Paddy can be Patrick or Patricia as in Spike Milligan's second wife

341o2

Established Member
Also just reminded that Leo is normally masculine, once knew a Leona who called herself "Leo"

341o2

Established Member
The Alice I know isn't a rock star or old. It's probably best to stick to people's actual names rather than stage names.
A bit like the Francis Durbridge detective series Paul Temple, whose wife Louise adopted the pen name "Steve" in her capacity as a journalist, and the nickname stuck

PeterC

Established Member
I have kn own women use Bobby and men use Nic. I have noticed that you are more likely to see women using the traditionally accepted "masculine" forms of diminutives that you would 40 or more years ago.

Getting back to names Kerry (or Welsh Ceri) is genuinely a unisex name.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I have kn own women use Bobby and men use Nic. I have noticed that you are more likely to see women using the traditionally accepted "masculine" forms of diminutives that you would 40 or more years ago.

Getting back to names Kerry (or Welsh Ceri) is genuinely a unisex name.

Kelly is another. I once worked somewhere with two people both named Kelly Kelly (matching forenames and surnames!) One was female and Kelly was her married name, but the other was male and presumably just had parents with either a cruel sense of humour or a lack of imagination!

I think society is more accepting of a woman with a traditionally masculine name than it is of a man with a traditionally feminine name. Not sure why, but there we go...

Status
Not open for further replies.