Trivia: Narrowest platform?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by fandroid, 24 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fandroid

fandroid Member

Regularly arriving at platform 6 at Waterloo I could not help but notice that the country end of platforms 7/8 is amazingly narrow. The yellow lines extend to the very end, so presumably passengers are permitted out there. however the space between the converging yellow lines cannot be much more than about 300mm (1 foot in old money). Are there any narrower platforms anywhere that passengers are permitted to access?

2. 40129

40129 Member

By the time you've allowed for the width of the shelter the platforms at Dudley Port are pretty narrow, especially considering most trains pass through at around 75mph. Have often wondered how it can be considered safe

3. Elecman

Elecman Established Member

The platform at Salford Crescent is very narrow in places

4. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

The taper at nearby Raynes Park makes them very thin towards the end indeed.

5. M28361M

M28361M Member

There's Cressington station in Liverpool, which had its platforms extended in the 1970s to handle 6-car Merseyrail trains. The platform extensions are very narrow indeed; I suspect this would not be allowed if you tried to do it today!

This is the best picture I can find online (not my photo, I hasten to add):- https://flic.kr/p/o5LU2Z

6. TEW

TEW Established Member

Some of the recent SWT platform extensions are quite narrow, such as at London Road (Guildford) here.

Attached Files:

7. asylumxl

asylumxl Established Member

The south end of Elephant & Castle's platform 2-3 is pretty damn narrow. If not dangerously so.

8. maniacmartin

maniacmartin Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Platform 2/3 by the subway staircases at Norwood Junction is quite narrow

9. AM9

AM9 Established Member

How about Clapham North and Clapham Common stations on the Northern Line tube. They are almost frightening to someone experiencing them for the first time, being less than 12 feet wide with tube trains passing on each side.

Here's what it's like waiting for a train at Clapham Common:
    [​IMG]

and here is what it's like when two trains come in together:
    [​IMG]

I have also seen this arrangement at Euston station on the Northern Line City Branch and at Angel station, but Euston was modified when the Victoria Line was built in the '60s, and Angel rebuilt in the '90s as traffic increased enough to make crowding dagerous. There are some stations on the Clockwork Orange tube in Glasgow that are even norrower, but the trains are also narrow gauge and of smaller cross section.

Last edited: 24 May 2015
  10. D365

D365 Established Member

Perhaps the former City Widened Lines? Disconnected from Thameslink and OOU since 2009; but when in use the northbound platforms at Barbrican (and Moorgate?) must've been a contender - if memory serves me well, they extended right into the running tunnels!

11. kevconnor

kevconnor Member

The northern end of P1 at Macclesfield I always think is particularly narrow, not too sure what the maximum speed is but I know some trains do pass through.

Last edited: 24 May 2015
  12. mbreckers

mbreckers Member

Kelvinhall Subway Station

[​IMG]

13. AM9

AM9 Established Member

I remember the first time that I saw the trains on the Glasgow Underground (1986), - out of the tunnel popped this model of a LU train, in orange (oops, sorry SPTE red). Its roofline was below my eyelevel. Once inside, it was like a downsized tube train with facing longtitudonal seats rather closer than I was used to so I had to keep my feet in to allow passengers to stand. Other than that, it was fine, - small but perfectly formed.

14. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

That's closer to the mark than you think; I was told some years ago during a behind the scenes visit to the system that the short lived 1983 Stock on the Jubilee Line was the same basic design just made a bit bigger for London.

15. AM9

AM9 Established Member

Except with single leaf doors, thus ensuring their short operational life.

16. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

That is true, yes, it's the structural design of the carriages themselves that are - apart from their size - virtually identical. Glasgow had a bit more sense when it came to doors...

In fact I think it was always a double leaf door design but the Underground thought they knew better - probably an attempt to cut maintenance costs that wasn't fully though through?

17. me123

me123 Established Member

I have to echo the thoughts about the island Subway platforms in Glasgow (and it ain't just Kelvinhall - lots of them are similar). They are toatie! Can be rather unnerving standing on them waiting for the train to come in, particularly when it's busy and/or you're doing a Sub Crawl! In rainy conditions (not that that's common in Glasgow :p ) the platforms can also be very wet and slippery.

Originally, all the platforms were like that, although after the 70s refurb, side platforms emerged at the busier stations (IIRC; St Enoch, Buchanan Street, Hillhead, Partick, Govan, Ibrox). Some like Partick and St Enoch have two side platforms, others like Buchanan St and Hillhead had just the one with the original middle platform being used for one of the circles (the recent addition of a glass barrier again makes the experience a lot better!).

Back on the mainline, I'll also nominate High Street (Glasgow) for a narrow platform. It's fine at the West end, but as you move towards the East (only an issue for 6 car trains) they become really quite narrow, probably so that they can fit in the cutting.

18. mirodo

mirodo Member

The platforms at Wapping are hardly, er, whopping. (Sorry!)

[​IMG]

19. Liam

Liam Established Member

[​IMG]CRW_2399 by Tom Page, on Flickr

(not my photo)

Markinch station, Northbound 6 car trains go beyond the bridge, although these are few and far between these days since the Edinburgh-Aberdeen trains no longer stop there. You can see the HST stop beyond the end of the platform.

Last edited: 25 May 2015
  20. Jegerpizza

Jegerpizza Member

Acton Bridge, must be nice standing there with a 390 blowing past. [​IMG]

21. Philip C

Philip C Member

No photo, but I nominate Balcombe. Where the platforms go under the skew roadbridge it is not just narrow but the walls curve in as well. It is not short of non-stopping fast trains either.

22. mbreckers

mbreckers Member

Balcombe Railway Station Platform 2

[​IMG]

23. Strathclyder

Strathclyder Established Member

Bogston's platform 2 must be one of the narrowest on the Scotrail network:
    [​IMG]

The main reason it's so narrow is because the line from Port Glasgow to Wemyss Bay runs above and to the left of it:
    [​IMG]

24. Holly

Holly Member

Is the slow line platform used nowadays?

When I was a child I can remember the old steam push-n-pull train standing there, waiting for the road.
    Towards the end it worked only between Acton Bridge and Warrington. In the old days it worked Warrington to Wharton, carried grammar school kids every school day.

25. Statto

Statto Established Member

Certainly in Central Trains days the first CTs to Brum that stopped at Acton Bridge,used the slow line to allow the VT to overtake.

26. Holly

Holly Member

I think that takes the prize then.
    The narrowest platform of any appreciable length in everyday use.
    Someone should measure it exactly.

27. 90sWereBetter

90sWereBetter Member

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
    Rotherhithe station, one stop down from Wapping, has similarly narrow platforms. Mind you, given that the vastly bigger Canada Water station is only a short walk away, this isn't a major issue.

28. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

29. chefchenko

chefchenko Member

yes macclesfields are very narrow at the exit from the ticket office and can be very congested at some times, luckily the passing pendos and voyagers are on the approach to the sharp curve through the tunnel and doing 40/50mph

30. edwin_m

edwin_m Established Member

Some of the very narrow platform extensions have hatching and signs to say that they are areas for alighting but not boarding. I guess the theory is that if people only alight from a train that is standing there, they won't be near the edge when a non-stop train passes.

Line 8 (I think) of the Paris Metro has signs on the end-most doors saying they are for alighting only. I wonder if this is for a similar reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.