• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA National Rail Stations Furthest Away From Football Stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
The National Rail Stations Within 10 Minutes Walk Of A Football Stadium thread got me thinking as to what are the Football Stadiums furthest away from the nearest National Rail Station

Peterhead must be close to the winner of the main leagues, think the nearest station is Dyce, although the buses go to Aberdeen
Forest Green, nearest station is Stroud, good 25-30 minutes on the bus, or get a taxi.

Of the non leagues Fraserburgh, Huntly looks like that could be the nearest station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think the winner in proper league is Peterhead. Forest Green is also a trek. And we got beat.

non league I suspect the winner will be Guernsey ( although it might be closer to a french station!)

HowardGWR

Established Member
Think of all those that have gone 'out of town'. Yeovil and Shrewsbury are examples.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I seem to remember Wycombe (in particular), Reading and Oxford Utd being pains to get to and from, but I haven't been to any of these grounds for many years. You're reliant on special buses, ditto Shrewsbury and Colchester.

In National League North, Brackley, Blyth and Spennymoor aren't served by rail and Chester is so far from the station and even bus routes that most of it is in Wales. And the new stadia planned at York and Boston might also be difficult. But Leamington is in a league of its own being built in a farmers field many miles out of town.

E759

I think the winner in proper league is Peterhead. Forest Green is also a trek. And we got beat.

non league I suspect the winner will be Guernsey ( although it might be closer to a french station!)
Currently the only regular* away game we travel to by air. [Having said that I’m doing the outward leg this Easter by ship, but only because I can.] Although with Jersey joining the FA some more folk could also have that luxury too.

*We played a PSF at Newquay last year and the majority flew. I of course took the train.

Mark J

Reading has to be one of the worst.

Reading F.C is 2.8 miles from Reading station, a 58 minute walk, or 23 minutes by Bus.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Reading F.C is 2.8 miles from Reading station, a 58 minute walk, or 23 minutes by Bus.

2.8 miles is nowt! Leamington Spa is 3.5 miles from Leamington FC. Brackley Town is 11 miles form Bicester. Spennymoor is 6 miles form Durham or Bishop Auckland. Bylth is 10 miles form Morpeth ( but easier from Newcastle by bus which is 17 miles)

Don't know you are born you championship lot!

Shimbleshanks

Pedantically, the preserved railway on Alderney propably pips anywhere in France.

Shimbleshanks

Yes, runs from a quarry to the breakwater, but hasn't been used for breakwater maintenance for many a year. Passenger rolling stock consists of 1938 tube stock trailers, pulled by a diesel shunter. Now the only railway in the whole Channel Islands.

MadMac

Going strictly by the thread title, without looking at a map, and considering only the "established" leagues, Wick or Thurso?

Ginaro

Going strictly by the thread title, without looking at a map, and considering only the "established" leagues, Wick or Thurso?
"National" leagues would be a better word for it, as I'm sure the Highland League will consider itself established ;)

But looking at a map it seems like Mallaig is the furthest away from an SPFL ground - nearest is Dingwall for Ross County - as Elgin City's ground is slightly closer to Thurso as the crow flies.

Bristol Rich

Oxford is absolutely miles (4 i think) away.

Brechin and Forfar in Scotland are also a fair distance, have a feeling ironicalky Forfars ground is called station park!!

Dundee and Dundee united are quite far away from Dundee station and the most direct route involves a walk up a near vertical hill up the "Hultoon".

Others to mention which are a fair trek, St Johnstone, Cheltenham, Yeovil, East Fife and Fleetwood

JWB_

Leeds Train Station may not be that far from Elland Road (2 Miles) and Cottingley may only be 1.5 miles from the ground, but considering the railway is only 350m from the stadium at its closest point, its not the most convenient ground in the world.

bhb

If you believe what people say, Selhurst Park. Granted, Crystal Palace is not the nearest station.

Cletus

Established Member
Salford's ground is about a 2.5 mile walk from Salford Crescent. Clifton is nearer, but not much use!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Oxford is absolutely miles (4 i think) away.

Brechin and Forfar in Scotland are also a fair distance, have a feeling ironicalky Forfars ground is called station park!!

Dundee and Dundee united are quite far away from Dundee station and the most direct route involves a walk up a near vertical hill up the "Hultoon".

Others to mention which are a fair trek, St Johnstone, Cheltenham, Yeovil, East Fife and Fleetwood
But the Kassam is close to the Cowley branch line if it ever gets reopened.

AlastairFraser

Established Member

It even takes 20 mins by bike using the more direct canal path but it can take even longer from experience because of all the traffic lights and road crossings after the segregated bike path ends about half a mile from the stadium. It will benefit from the eventual opening of Reading Green Park on the far side of the aforementioned business park which will be a 20 minute walk away/ 10 minute run. Tbh the old stadium before the Mad Stad was Elm Park which was about 2 miles away from Reading Station and quite close (within half a mile) to the Tilehurst Road end of Reading West. Problem is the old stadium was constrained in terms of seats available and Tilehurst Road being very residential got very clogged by the traffic and the bus service the 33 along the road even today is rubbish outside the peaks,every half an hour at most. In contrast the new Madjeski Stadium is very well linked by road, has a dual carriageway linking it to the town centre and Inner Distribution Road northbound and the M4 southbound and has lots of football buses on the day and the frequent Greenwave buses serving it , the RIBP by the motorway junction, a housing development on the other side of the dual carriageway called Kennet Island and Green Park on non-matchdays.

FGW_Lad

Believe me we wish it was nearer the town too! But as AlistairFraser says, the town was already getting too congested for a bigger stadium to be built so this was the only viable area to have it. Reading Green Park will make a massive difference when it opens.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Believe me we wish it was nearer the town too! But as AlistairFraser says, the town was already getting too congested for a bigger stadium to be built so this was the only viable area to have it. Reading Green Park will make a massive difference when it opens.
Well half the problem with that is that Basingstoke electrification is delayed, and we can't have a station without electrification. But we've got an express bus lane on the A33 instead :(

FGW_Lad

Well half the problem with that is that Basingstoke electrification is delayed, and we can't have a station without electrification. But we've got an express bus lane on the A33 instead :(

Thanks for the update, didn't realise it was being delayed due to the electrification. And for the bus lane, can we get one going away from the stadium too? Can't wait to get out quick enough these days!

Statto

Established Member
Tranmere Rovers is a fair hike from either Birkenhead Central & Rock Ferry
Chester you need a cab to get there from Chester Station
I'd argue both Liverpool & Everton, although Kirkdale is the nearest station, i wouldn't fancy walking the streets to get there

johnnychips

Established Member
Tameside is not a good area:

Hyde United: at least twenty minutes walk from either Hyde Central or Godley.

Stalybridge Celtic: twenty minutes walk up a steep hill.

Ashton United play at Hurst: a good twenty minutes walk.

Curzon Ashton or Droylesden: massive walk from Ashton or Fairfield stations, but super if you count the Metrolink.

Edit: just remembered Mossley: twenty minutes up a big hill if TPE can be bothered to stop.

mmh

Established Member
If you believe what people say, Selhurst Park. Granted, Crystal Palace is not the nearest station.

It's a myth that Selhurst Park is remarkably close to any station. Norwood Junction is closest, Selhurst second and Thornton Heath first. It's do-able from Norwood Junction in 10 minutes, Selhurst at a push too, Thornton Heath no realistic chance. I think it probably crops up as an example mainly because it's a rare example of a stadium genuinely served by three stations roughly equidistant from it.

DuncanS

I'm old enough to remember going to Forfar when there were trains. You used to have to go under the rail bridge to get to Station Park - the bridge has since been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.