• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nearby stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whisky Papa

From memory from Urmston you can see Chassen Road and Flixton in one direction and Humphrey Park and Trafford Park in the other on account of the line being dead straight until the platforms at Trafford Park.

I can certainly vouch for Chassen Road and Flixton, but I've never looked the other way! In fact, the road bridge at the platform end obscures the view towards Manchester from the Manchester-bound platform, and I've never looked back when alighting on the other platform to see if it is any better. Humphrey Park should certainly be visible, Trafford Park is just on a curve so possibly not. The view from up on the road bridge is rather obscured by two further bridges in this direction, unfortunately.

route101

Established Member
What about Edinburgh Gateway and South Gyle? Edinburgh park and Haymarket , perhaps too far ?

ijmad

Established Member
Anywhere where you can see stations on the opposite side of a river? Clydeside, Merseyside, etc?

There is a sliver of Charing Cross visible from the end of Platform A at Waterloo East, if I recall correctly.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Most of the Wirral line stations can be seen from one-another on a clear day.

I remember once, with the aid of binoculars, from Port Sunlight, I could see the M53 motorway bridge, which is between Eastham Rake and Hooton.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I guess technically you can see Leicester Square tube station from Covent Garden tube station and vice-versa albeit not the platforms, but the roundel of each respective station. There are a few more I reckon this is the case within the London area.

Crawley Ben

Does East Grinstead count seeing as the Bluebell station and the main line station are in sight of one another.

Tamworth high level and Tamworth low level maybe or they classed as one station?

Cheers

Ben

aviator

Can Dorking main be seen from Deepdene?

IIRC if you are standing at the extreme south of Dorking platform 2, and you know where to look, and the trees on the embankment have no leaves on them, then you can make out Deepdene station. Easier to stand at the east end of Deepdene to look down across the cutting to see Dorking.

Of course if it's night time and all the platform lighting is on at both stations ... :)

aviator

Following on from this - it's not possible to see Deepdene from Dorking West because of the curved cutting between them.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Wimbledon Park yet - easy to see from the Up flyover - I would always look out for it when I was a kid! 8-)

VT 390

Established Member
Does East Grinstead count seeing as the Bluebell station and the main line station are in sight of one another.

Tamworth high level and Tamworth low level maybe or they classed as one station?

Cheers

Ben
Tamworth is one station.

Status
Not open for further replies.