• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nearby stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyds siding

Loads on Merseyrail:
Formby/Freshfield.
Bootle Oriel Road/Bootle New Strand
Birkdale/Hillside (you might need a telescope)
Liverpool South Parkway/ West Allerton
+ others already mentioned.

Just outside the area: New Lane/Bescar Lane (telescope required again)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
Several ones on the Underground ones have been offered, but not Leicester Square and Covent Garden, which is also in a tunnel.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Köln Messe/Deutz (just) from the very far end of some platforms at Köln Hbf.

VT 390

Established Member
I think Northumberland Park is visible from Meridian Water.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Just over a week ago before I had read this thread, I went and stood on the end of the platform at Smethwick Galton Bridge to see if I could see the platform at the former Smethwick West station. I could see the junction but decided that the platform was just out of sight round the bend. It would have been valid to look at this as both stations were in use for about a year after Smethwick Galton Bridge opened.

I have stood on platform 1 at Birmingham Snow Hill and looked back through the tunnel and I can see the lights of Birmingham Moor Street which is outside the other end of the tunnel.

I have not been there but from my track atlas I see that Newhaven Harbour and Newhaven Marine are 16 chains apart. That would be mid-platform to mid-platform so end-platform to end-platform would be considerably shorter. If I remember correctly from Geoff Marshall's video it takes about a minute to walk from one to the other. I understand that the legal processes are now being put in place to close Newhaven Marine Station.

Sprinter107

Just over a week ago before I had read this thread, I went and stood on the end of the platform at Smethwick Galton Bridge to see if I could see the platform at the former Smethwick West station. I could see the junction but decided that the platform was just out of sight round the bend. It would have been valid to look at this as both stations were in use for about a year after Smethwick Galton Bridge opened.

I have stood on platform 1 at Birmingham Snow Hill and looked back through the tunnel and I can see the lights of Birmingham Moor Street which is outside the other end of the tunnel.

I have not been there but from my track atlas I see that Newhaven Harbour and Newhaven Marine are 16 chains apart. That would be mid-platform to mid-platform so end-platform to end-platform would be considerably shorter. If I remember correctly from Geoff Marshall's video it takes about a minute to walk from one to the other. I understand that the legal processes are now being put in place to close Newhaven Marine Station.
You cant see Birmingham Moor Street from Birmingham Snow Hill due to the curvature of the tunnel.

rf_ioliver

Bishopstone-Seaford
Horley-Gatwick Airport

I think it’s Fishersgate (west Coastway) from where you can see the adjacent stations in both directions: Portslade and Southwick

Certainly Portslade is visible (and vice versa), don't remember being able to see Southwick though

rf_ioliver

Newhaven Harbour, Newhaven Marine?

IIRC, Bishtopstone can be see from the end of Newhaven Harbours's platforms (and by the above from Marine's too)

Class800

Established Member
Woolwich Arsenal from Plumstead - but not seemingly the other way around if standing in the normal part of platform. In fact, from Plumstead you can only see the back section of the Woolwich curved platform at which few trains call

Chiswick and Barnes Bridge? You can certainly see trains coming for a long time, though whether the station is visible will need further checking.

ls2270

Established Member
From Petts Wood (Platform 3) you can see the platforms at Orpington.

BrettSy96

If I remember correctly you could just make out Maryland station from Stratford if you are at the very end of one of the platforms.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I think that North Sheen is visible from the town end of the up South-Western platform at Richmond, but I'm not absolutely sure. There's a slight curve in the track which prevents it from being seen from the down platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.