• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nearest station you haven't used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acfb

Never used Slateford in the 2+ years I've lived nearby.

Same for me as well. In fact yesterday when I got the train from Wester Hailes to Breich was the first time I'd used any station in Edinburgh other than Haymarket or Waverley. I collected my tickets from Edinburgh Gateway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kingspanner

I have used Slateford because it is across the road from the Corn Exchange where I once saw Amy MacDonald in concert.

I live half a mile from Dinsdale and use it regularly. It is less than a mile to the celebrated Teesside Airport but I've never used that (obviously). Actually, that's not fair since I have walked from home to the airport it "serves" and flown to Amsterdam, so I could get my walking boots on. Nearest real station I haven't used is North Road, Darlington, then its a toss up between Yarm, Billingham (grim) and all the other stations on the Bishop Auckland line except BA itself.
I have used Northallerton because it used to be ££££s cheaper to London than starting at Darlington and I did once get off at Thirsk (luckily) with my bike. This turned out to be a disappointing choice.

Scotrail12

I live very near Blairhill station. I'd say Bargeddie is the nearest one that I've never used. I definitely have used all 6 in Coatbridge (albeit a long time since Whifflet) and both the Airdrie ones. I've even used every station between Blairhill & Anniesland with the exception of Garrowhill.

james60059

Not quite on topic, but despite living here, I very rarely use Hinckley Station - maybe once a year when I did SailRail to Ireland. Otherwise, I usually, I drive into Nuneaton and do the train from there.

Veteran Member
Baildon (not certain, but can't think when I did!). Otherwise Burley-in-Wharfedale and Damems (KWVR) - plus Kirkstall Forge, Low Moor for new stations.

MP33

Although only a few miles away I have never got on or off at Southend Airport since it opened.

Berliner

Just the Edinburgh ones within a few miles radius of my house. Slateford, Wester Hailes, South Gyle, Kingsknowe and Edinburgh Gateway.

I live right on the old Leith railway line, used it plenty of time on my bike!

Last edited:

peteb

Never had reason to use Old Hill station (10 miles from home) but have passed through it probably 220x2x18=7920 times just for commuting, plus additional leisure travel!!

I don’t think I’ve used Reedham (Surrey), though I’ve walked in the area, just not got there by train. Otherwise it would be Whyteleafe South, though thinking about it a bit harder Riddlesdown may be nearer than both. Going north from Purley Oaks, possibly Sydenham on the line to London Bridge; used all on the line to Victoria.
Have recently managed Riddlesdown!!

Established Member
My nearest one will be somewhere like Laxey on the Isle of Man

Class800

Established Member
For house #1 it is Woolwich Dockyard (3rd nearest station)
For house #2 it is Pinhoe (3rd nearest station - at least by time)

steamybrian

Established Member
Living in West Kent the nearest stations I have not used are-

Kemsing, East Malling and Hollingbourne

Been through them many times but never got on or off there. Kemsing station is a long way from the village. Will be visiting East Malling village in the new year but it would quicker for me to get there by car.

Ken H

On Moderation
Bentham, Dent
Only used LP when there was a derailment at Settle Junction 2nd May 1979. They plain lined the S&C, and put back the connection towards Giggleswick later. Replacement bus between LP and Giggleswick.

PeterY

Established Member
Living in Hemel Hempstead, probably Radlett is my nearest station, I've never alighted or got on a train. :D

My nearest that I gave yet to frequent using National Rail are possibly Kenilworth
Bedworth
Bermuda Park
Hinckley
Narborough
South Wigston
BTW I live in Daventry Northants

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Bredbury and Romiley aren't far from me but never used them to get on or off to the best of my knowledge. Brinnington isn't much further away either. I've seen people onto and off trains at the two former stations however that does not count.

alxndr

Established Member
Having moved, it’s now Kirkhill, just shy of a mile from my house. I need to go out on an explore one day soon.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think my nearest is Kenilworth, at some point that will change to be those new stations on the Camp Hill line. In the other direction, it would be one of the first stations after Dovey Junction on the Cambrian Coast. Looking north, it would be the first station after Wrexham General on the Borderlands line. Southwest-facing, then it's Newton St Cyres from memory and towards the south east then it's the first station east of Basingstoke.

All based on approximate memory, I've not confirmed these by distance or whatever!

miklcct

On Moderation
Like some of us I keep a record of the National Rail stations which I've used. Sometimes this happens organically, if I have a work or social trip, and sometimes I'll aim to tick off a station which I wasn't otherwise going to use. As of yesterday I've got through 398 and there are around 2550 altogether (plus I'm expecting a few more to be built during my lifetime).

The stations I've used are spread across most of the UK but some of the ones I haven't used are closer to home. I think my nearest unticked station is Nunhead (about 2 miles as the crow flies from home) - although I've been through it many times, I've never boarded or alighted from a train there. The second closest is probably South Bermondsey.

How about you?
I have been living in Cricklewood for 4 months and the nearest station I haven't been used (including before I moved to Cricklewood) is Dollis Hill, just 1.7 km from my home. In National Rail, it is Kensal Rise 2.6 km from my home. A use is defined as boarding or alighting a train or a rail replacement service there.

My usage count for the nearest stations (within 3 km) from my current home are:
Cricklewood (0.3 km): 83
Willesden Green (1.0 km): 10
Kilburn (1.4 km): 13
Brondesbury (1.7 km): 48
Dollis Hill (1.7 km): 0
Brondesbury Park (1.9 km): 1
Brent Cross (2.1 km): 0
West Hampstead Thameslink (2.0 km): 44
West Hampstead (Overground) (2.1 km): 40
West Hampstead (Underground) (2.2 km): 7
Golders Green (2.3 km): 0
Neasden (2.3 km): 3
Finchley Road & Frognal (2.4 km): 3
Kensal Rise (2.6 km): 0
Finchley Road (2.7 km): 15
Hampstead (2.7 km): 0
Kilburn High Road (2.8 km): 5
Queen's Park (2.8 km): 3
Kilburn Park (2.9 km): 0
Hendon (3.0 km): 1
Hendon Central (3.0 km): 3

While the count for Cricklewood - West Hampstead alone is already 39, i.e. nearly half of my travel from my home station is to the next station only, and nearly all travel from there is one stop back home.

The above statistics give me a lot of insight. It's normal to have the home station as the most used station. However, compare Kilburn and Willesden Green, the further one gets more usage from me, because it has a better bus connection and I tend to travel south on the Jubilee line. While on the North London Line, Brondesbury and West Hampstead give similar usage count, with Brondesbury a bit more. The connection to Brondesbury is by bus or bike while the connection to West Hampstead is by Thameslink, if travel is to the East they generally produce similar journey times if there is no excessive waiting, but as the Thameslink runs less frequent I now prefer to use Brondesbury more.

The closest 0 count is Dollis Hill, one stop from Willesden Green on the Jubilee. However, what's more interesting is that the 2nd closest 0 count and the 3rd closest 0 count are both on the Northern Line, which are the 2 closest Northern Line station from my home. The reason is that I have never travelled in the Edgware direction, while travelling to the city, taking Thameslink to Kentish Town for the Northern Line is a better option compared to using the closest stations. All the other 0 count within 3 km are located further away than non-0 count on the same line.

While in the year I lived in Bournemouth, I hadn't used the next station down the line, Pokesdown even once, just 2.8 km from my home! The reason was because taking a bus direct to get home from Pokesdown would be faster than taking a train and walk home. In contrast, I used Branksome 12 times to go shopping as it would be much faster than taking the bus.

I'm not sure whether it counts but there are a number of stations on the Barnstaple and Exmouth branch line plus Starcross on the Riviera line that I have never used but I have passed. Other than that, it'd have to be anything past Honiton (one of my favourite stations) on the London Waterloo line excluding Clapham Junction and London Waterloo and Tiverton Parkway and Taunton (I live in Exeter)

miklcct

On Moderation
it'd have to be anything past Honiton (one of my favourite stations) on the London Waterloo line excluding Clapham Junction and London Waterloo
Haven't you ever used Salisbury, Basingstoke or Woking to change trains?

WizCastro197

Established Member
Haven't got on/off at Salfords despite its location being 1 stop down the Line from Earlswood. Coulsdon South/Three Bridges are also quite close where I haven't had the need to do anything there eg. Three Bridges, I can do all changes at Gatwick.

Status
Not open for further replies.