• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nearest station you haven't used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
Like some of us I keep a record of the National Rail stations which I've used. Sometimes this happens organically, if I have a work or social trip, and sometimes I'll aim to tick off a station which I wasn't otherwise going to use. As of yesterday I've got through 398 and there are around 2550 altogether (plus I'm expecting a few more to be built during my lifetime).

The stations I've used are spread across most of the UK but some of the ones I haven't used are closer to home. I think my nearest unticked station is Nunhead (about 2 miles as the crow flies from home) - although I've been through it many times, I've never boarded or alighted from a train there. The second closest is probably South Bermondsey.

How about you?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Flitwick - 11 miles from my house. ( i have been through it many times but never lighted or alighted there)

Next would be Hemel Hempstead - 25 miles ( i have been through it many times but never lighted or alighted there)

UP13

Mine might be Isleworth, which is 1.9 miles from me. Can't remember if I have or haven't used it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Rose Hill Marple. Never been on a train there and don't think that it's been mentioned on this forum anytime recently. ;)

DieselDaz

Nearest station to me is Dunston around 1.5miles walk.
Been through it but never alighted or boarded a train there.

John Hunt

Nearest unticked for me (Leicester) would be Narborough. Lost count of the times I've been through it!
I have spotted at South Wigston, photographed Sir Nigel Gresley at Syston and used Hinckley as nearest point for 'emergency' class 25 haulage when a 31 failed on the Norwich-Birmingham......

flitwickbeds

Flitwick - 11 miles from my house. ( i have been through it many times but never lighted or alighted there)

Next would be Hemel Hempstead - 25 miles ( i have been through it many times but never lighted or alighted there)
You only ever want to board trains there, never alight (unless you're immediately getting into another vehicle to drive out the town) :D

steamybrian

Established Member
I live in Tonbridge and the nearest station which I have not used is Kemsing which is about 5 miles away directly north from my home.
The only time I visited Kemsing was by car as not only would involve two changes but the station is about one and half miles from the village.
Also nearby a station I have not used is Knockholt . The only time I visited the place was by car as the station is about 3 miles from the village .

steamybrian

Established Member
I live in Tonbridge and the nearest station which I have not visited is Kemsing which is about 5 miles away directly north from my home.
The only time I visited Kemsing was by car as not only would involve two changes but the station is about one and half miles from the village.
Also nearby a station I have not used is Knockholt . The only time I visited the place was by car as the station is about 3 miles from the village .

gnolife

Established Member
I have to go 37 miles to reach my nearest unused station, Blackridge. After that, the next one is 46 miles, which is Bridge of Allan.

Jimini

Established Member
Highams Park for me. 1.6 miles away, but the central line is far closer / more frequent. Do stations compared to LU stations count? Must be a fair few of them..

mikeg

Established Member
Probably Poppleton for me, which is some distance. However when I was in Nottingham, I never used my second nearest station (Netherfield) because of its relative lack of service.

Polarbear

Established Member
There was a time when I "bashed" stations, and had managed to visit over 1000 when I moved onto something else. For me, that means the nearest station that I've never visited will be some distance away! I live in Birkenhead now, but was in Chester for over 40 years prior to moving here.

Certainly, I've visited most stations within 100 miles or so of the Wirral, with a fair few in most urban regions of the UK also ticked off. Off the top of my head, stations such as Ulleskelf, Whitley Bridge, Broome, and several on the Cumbrian Coast line beyond Millom would qualify.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Probably Maldon Manor; I have a vague feeling I once boarded a train at Thames Ditton, although I really can't think of any reason why I might have done.

4F89

Wem. Parking worse than Gobowen, and i only use train to go south. If I'm going north I use Crewe.

Llandudno

Established Member
Rose Hill Marple. Never been on a train there and don't think that it's been mentioned on this forum anytime recently. ;)
Better get it ticked off sooner rather than later, just in case it doesn’t get reopened?

brad465

Established Member
Either Hollingbourne or Wateringbury, depending on which one is closer but for me they are the nearest stations not used on their respective lines.

Parallel

Established Member
I think I’ve used every station ‘close’ to me. In terms of elsewhere in Wiltshire however, I’ve never used Bedwyn because it doesn’t get very many trains to/from the West at all and I’d have to go to Newbury or Reading and double back.

I’ve also never used Dean or Tisbury.

Alex365Dash

Portchester, almost 4 miles out.
Next would be Southbourne, closely followed by Rowlands Castle, both at a bit over 8 miles.

I've been through all of them a few times - haven't boarded or alighted at them though!

route101

Established Member
Thortonhall on East Kilbride line, about 2 miles, only station on the branch ive not used.

GlosRail

I've yet to use Worcester Parkway which opened about 6 months ago. It's about 25 miles from me.

I've never boarded a train at Pershore which will be 20 miles or so, but I have been on a train which has stopped there.

Status
Not open for further replies.