• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nearest station you haven't used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rower40

My pre-lockdown commute was Willington to Derby. In 30 years of working in Derby, I've never boarded or alighted a train at Peartree or Spondon.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Birkbeck. Never boarded the train (or tram) there. Alighted once on the tram although I'd rather have not (it terminated out of course).

scotrail158713

Established Member
Longniddry for me - around 7 or 8 miles away. I’ve actually used both Prestonpans and Drem but I’ve never had the need to use Longniddry.

Last edited:

TFN

Hither Green is a 15 min walk away from me. I've passed through but never boarded or alighted as getting to the station requires a going up a hill and I can't be bothered doing it after a 10 hour shift.

Catford and Catford Bridge stations are also 15 mins away so I don't need to touch Hither Green.

Jonny

Established Member
Nearest station to me is Dunston around 1.5miles walk.
Been through it but never alighted or boarded a train there.

Dunston is about my nearest never-used as well; Heworth is slightly closer (about 100 metres/yards in about 7 miles to each) although Heworth only counts for me if you exclude the Metro (I've used Metro but not National Rail from Heworth).

Cambus731

Pretty sure it would either be Hythe on the outskirts of Colchester, or Harold Wood

Last edited:

Ianigsy

Weeton (slightly less than 4.5 miles) just shades it from Ben Rhydding (just over). Not much use for going to Harrogate as I'd have to get off a bus which was already going to Harrogate in order to use the station and only really a theoretical option for going to and from Leeds as two bus routes and the Ilkley line would have to be down.

Cambus731

When I lived in Cherry Hinton, it would have been Kennett

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You should, the pub The Fishery just over the road is really very good. I miss the place.

What caused you to get off a train in Cheddington?!?

I had to visit the secret under gro.... oh sssshhh sorrry. Nothing to see here. Move along

Actually it was tue only time i have been on a 350 that has failed in service. It broke down and we we de trained at Chedders

xotGD

Established Member
Dunston is about my nearest never-used as well; Heworth is slightly closer (about 100 metres/yards in about 7 miles to each) although Heworth only counts for me if you exclude the Metro (I've used Metro but not National Rail from Heworth).
Dunston used to be my local station. I've caught a 25 dragging a unit from there!

lancastria

Like some of us I keep a record of the National Rail stations which I've used. Sometimes this happens organically, if I have a work or social trip, and sometimes I'll aim to tick off a station which I wasn't otherwise going to use. As of yesterday I've got through 398 and there are around 2550 altogether (plus I'm expecting a few more to be built during my lifetime).

The stations I've used are spread across most of the UK but some of the ones I haven't used are closer to home. I think my nearest unticked station is Nunhead (about 2 miles as the crow flies from home) - although I've been through it many times, I've never boarded or alighted from a train there. The second closest is probably South Bermondsey.

How about you?
Like OP I've never used Nunhead, and also New Beckenham, which are two and 4 miles from me.
I've passed through Nunhead often and even got off the train once to admire the view from the platform. But I've never entered or exited the station.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Queen's Park, I've been through the station on trains, walked past it many times and indeed up the platform but I've never caught a train to or from it.

(Distance unsure, probably more than one mile but a lot less than two.)

StewLane

Peartree. Only lived about a mile away but so few trains it was not worth using it

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
My nearest station would be Annan (about 15 miles) that I’ve not used.

I realised how little stations there are near me, given I live near two massive gaps in the line (Lockerbie - Carstairs and Dumfries - Sanquhar)

robbeech

Established Member
Kiveton Bridge. I have called there hundreds of times, but I use Kiveton Park as there is somewhere to park the car. I have However stood on the platform. There is a nice area to walk around there and I had finished walking and considered popping to worksop on the train to get a sandwich in the cafe on the platform before returning to Kiveton Park to my car to go home. I arrived just as the train was leaving so got to the platform, turned around and walked back to Kiveton Park and drove to worksop instead. I’ve used all the other local stations, either for practical or other reasons.

Brooke

Lived very close to Lockwood station (Hudds) when I was a kid, never used it as more reliable (and felt safer!) to take a bus or taxi to Huddersfield, then train from there.

Then I lived by Bethnal Green mainline station in London but never used that either, using the central line instead.

Whisky Papa

Burnley Central (8.7 miles), closely followed by Burnley Barracks and Rose Grove

I've used Rose Grove to change trains on Todmorden to Nelson or Colne journeys but never left the station there. Returning, I've alighted at both Central and Barracks to walk back to Burnley Manchester Road - connections at Rose Grove in that direction just missed!

My nearest unused stations are all on the East Lancs Line, however - I've never found any need to use Brierfield, Hapton or Huncoat.

SeanG

Definitely Horden (which is now my nearest station), but not been on a train since February.
Otherwise it would be probably be one of the shacks on the Google - Knottingley line as I've been through all others

xotGD

Established Member
I've used Rose Grove to change trains on Todmorden to Nelson or Colne journeys but never left the station there.
That could be a whole new thread. I have been to plenty of places where I never left the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.