• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nearest station you haven't used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

There are a number of offices around there and when the Metro was conceived, even more offices were planned.
Therefore the station wasn't entirely closed and was just drastically reduced.
Alas said offices didn't materialise and we therefore have the current situation.

The area has been reinvented with many ghastly student tower blocks but many will just walk, metro or bus into town. Indeed I imagine that not many will realise that there is a station there at all. Plus, it's probably just as close to Newcastle's main shopping area as Central station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CheekyBandit

Attercliffe Road before it closed (I think I have only ever been on one train that stopped there). Now Dore and Totley. In other places I have lived at the time these were Ham Street and Maidstone Barracks (though the latter I have used since I left the area).

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve used Reedham (Surrey), though I’ve walked in the area, just not got there by train. Otherwise it would be Whyteleafe South, though thinking about it a bit harder Riddlesdown may be nearer than both. Going north from Purley Oaks, possibly Sydenham on the line to London Bridge; used all on the line to Victoria.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I think my nearest is Acklington though the newly-opened Horden is probably in with a shout too.

Manors is technically my nearest station but indeed it's a bit forlorn- the need to change at Newcastle or Morpeth on most journeys means that unless the connection is exceptionally good, its probably easier to walk the last stretch from Newcastle (or catch the 22 if you really don't feel like walking).

6Gman

Established Member
Live just outside Crewe - so it would be Wrenbury (about 10 miles).

On the 6 routes radiating from Crewe it would be:

Liverpool line - West Allerton
Preston line - Euxton Balshaw Lane
Manchester line - Goostrey (otherwise done all to Manchester via Stockport)
Derby line - Blythe Bridge
London line - Rugeley TV
Birmingham line - Penkridge (otherwise done all to New St)
Shrewsbury line - Wrenbury
North Wales line - Bodorgan!

dan4291

Newton Aycliffe for me, situated on the outskirts of the town at least a mile from the town centre! Bishop Auckland is my closest station, next closest is Shildon which I've used before to go to Locomotion.

PeterY

Established Member
Living in Hemel Hempstead, I would think How Wood (St Albans to Watford Jct) is the one I've passed though many times but never got on or off

Randomer

Cathays - About 1.5 miles

I live south of the station and by the time I've walked to Queen Street I just keep walking if I need to go anywhere near it.

najaB

Veteran Member
Broughty Ferry. 3.7mi as the crow flies. If former stations were allowed then I'm about 200m away from one.

Jonny

Established Member
There are a number of offices around there and when the Metro was conceived, even more offices were planned.
Therefore the station wasn't entirely closed and was just drastically reduced.
Alas said offices didn't materialise and we therefore have the current situation.

The area has been reinvented with many ghastly student tower blocks but many will just walk, metro or bus into town. Indeed I imagine that not many will realise that there is a station there at all. Plus, it's probably just as close to Newcastle's main shopping area as Central station

The demand for offices was falling even before the pandemic made people realise the up-side of working at home. I've never used the National Rail station at Manors but, for me, it is further from home than either Heworth (National Rail Only) or Dunston.

Taunton

Established Member
I've never used Limehouse C2C, even though it's the nearest National Rail station to the house, likewise the DLR station alongside, although I seem to have used all their other ones around.

sw1ller

Established Member
Hawarden Bridge 5.0 miles
Next 2 are
Buckley 5.1 miles
Hope 5.9 miles.

I do drive a train through all these quite regularly though.

mlambeuk

Ulleskelf and Hammerton Been through them both but never boarded or alighted from them.

Joba

Heworth - before March I passed through every day going to work. Even on a busy morning / evening commute I only ever saw maybe 3 or 4 people use this station.

For 2018/19 it only had 22,000 passengers!

Mikey C

Established Member
Brondesbury (now London Overground), 2.5 miles away

There are so many stations in the area, and more convenient "North London Line" stations for me.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Reddish South, though I did briefly step on to the platform once when doing Stockport to Stalybridge.

Gathursty

Established Member
Probably Bryn about 2 miles away. I normally just use Wigan as my railhead but have used most of the local ones when station bagging. Just can't remember using Bryn.

Iskra

Established Member
Elsecar is about 3.5miles for me. Although hopefully I will be using it soon for a pub visit later this month. That will then make Wombwell my nearest unused one.

Ken H

On Moderation
Clapham (N Yorks)

I did once get out at Long Preston, which is nearer, but to get on a replacement bus to Giggleswick. A railway employee called Monica was the 'guard' on the bus. She usually worked in Settle Station.
Settle junction had been destroyed in a goods train crash in the late 1970's. They plain lined the junction to allow Leeds-Carlisle trains to run, but the Morecambes were split.
Cant find a link to the crash. Think it was china clay. Must have scared the signalman!
They made the junction la ladder when they re-instated it, rather than the double junction before the crash.

CW2

Established Member
Clapham (N Yorks)

I did once get out at Long Preston, which is nearer, but to get on a replacement bus to Giggleswick. A railway employee called Monica was the 'guard' on the bus. She usually worked in Settle Station.
Settle junction had been destroyed in a goods train crash in the late 1970's. They plain lined the junction to allow Leeds-Carlisle trains to run, but the Morecambes were split.
Cant find a link to the crash. Think it was china clay. Must have scared the signalman!
They made the junction la ladder when they re-instated it, rather than the double junction before the crash.
Oh I remember Monica!
The Settle Jn derailment was quite a spectacular one, and resulted in Leeds - Scotland services being diverted via Copy Pit to Preston then via Shap, for a few weeks. If I recall correctly, the vehicles involved in the derailment included a number containing military explosives, so the clearance operations were done VERY carefully!
EDIT
It was May 1979, and there were 41 vehicles derailed.

Ken H

On Moderation
Oh I remember Monica!
The Settle Jn derailment was quite a spectacular one, and resulted in Leeds - Scotland services being diverted via Copy Pit to Preston then via Shap, for a few weeks. If I recall correctly, the vehicles involved in the derailment included a number containing military explosives, so the clearance operations were done VERY carefully!
EDIT
It was May 1979, and there were 41 vehicles derailed.
Thank you for that.
google 'settle junction derailment 1979' and go to images for pix. Quite a mess.

Ken H

On Moderation
Thank you for that.
google 'settle junction derailment 1979' and go to images for pix. Quite a mess.
do you remember the small cartoon figureen in one of the niches of Settle Station. The Settle stationman said it used to be on top of a signalpost somewhere. Dont know if its still there.
Think you can just make it out in this pic of upside Settle Station building. nearest niche.

class_47

Mistley for me, 5 miles up the road but Manningtree is only 4 miles away and has all the main line services

E16 Cyclist

Living alongside the Thames in east London currently I’m separated from the nearest station Charlton by the Thames and once crossrail get their act together will be separated from Custom House by the royal Victoria dock. Both are within a mile

mmh

Established Member
Glan Conwy, about a three mile walk. Of course it's often an impossible station to use even if you wanted to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.