• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nearest station you haven't used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipness

For me never used British Steel, Redcar or Teesside Airport. Currently it is impossible to use them either as no services scheduled to stop.d

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

The demand for offices was falling even before the pandemic made people realise the up-side of working at home. I've never used the National Rail station at Manors but, for me, it is further from home than either Heworth (National Rail Only) or Dunston.
Apologies if misunderstood - I was meaning that the planned offices in 70s and 80s were never built, rather than current office demand which you rightly say has dropped recently

bishdunster

According to a leading online estate agents, my nearest mainline station is Rhoose at 14.5 miles, the only thing is its the other side of the Severn Estuary, 105.4 miles and 2hrs 12 mins by road !!!!!!!!! whereas Taunton is 21.9 miles and 39 mins by road, suffice it to say i have never used Rhoose :s.

Closest station I haven't used is Islip. Tackley and Combe are also quite close but although I have visited them while cycling past a couple of times I've never caught a train from either. Not that catching a train from Combe is a particularly practical suggestion - I think it only gets 2 per day!

bearhugger

The nearest to me is South Bank (SBK). In fact the only stations I have used on the Salburn line are Redcar Central, Redcar East & Saltburn, which is currently 50% of the stations available. I don't think we can count Redcar British Steel at the moment as there are are currntly no services to it as mentioned upthread.
do you remember the small cartoon figureen in one of the niches of Settle Station. The Settle stationman said it used to be on top of a signalpost somewhere. Dont know if its still there.
Think you can just make it out in this pic of upside Settle Station building. nearest niche.
Yes, certainly on my visit lat year, Mr Mouse was still there. His good lady was in the other niche.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think I have used Hammerton station; I'm struggling to recall using it anyway

Failing that, it could be Hornbeam Park as I don't think I have used that either, though I could be wrong. There are a few on the Hull route I've not used too.

mmh

Established Member
Just realised my second nearest station I've never "used" is an unusual one - Halfway station on the Great Orme Tramway. I have changed "trains" there though, because you have to!

PTR 444

Established Member
Nearest station to me I haven’t used is Holton Heath. Also, Tisbury is the nearest I haven’t even passed through.

Crossover

Established Member
Slaithwaite is my nearest - around 10 miles or so away.

Up until Christmas last year, my nearest unused was around half that distance but I managed to get that one as part of returning from a night out!

dgl

Established Member
Upwey, but mainly because I have never had a need to alight there and always use Weymouth station .

A Challenge

Established Member
Bagshot for me - though I have been on a train through it, which is also true of quite a few of the next nearest stations.

Spoorslag '70

Eching (~5.5km) for me... Well - it's in the middle of an industrail-ish estate and some houses with quite poor bus connections, so not even trivial to go there from Garching.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
To the southwest - Clifton, South - Bellevue, East - Marsden and Slaithwaite, North - Hapton and Brierfield.

Closest of all, however, is Burrs Country Park on the ELR - about 4 miles away as the crow flies.

Never had any reason to use Pentre-bach or Troed-y-Rhiw. Never used Rhymney either, I've only been as far as Bargoed on that particular line, and I've never felt the need to do that final bit.

All are within four miles of my home (according to National Rail).

Altnabreac

Established Member
Beasdale (5 miles as the crow flies), although I have stood on the platform to watch trains go through a couple of times.

I took my son to watch the Jacobite go through Beasdale Station when he was 2. He loved it. Also never used the station for anything else!

Altnabreac

Established Member
I've used 45% of the stations in Scotland (actually used them to go somewhere or do something rather than visit just to tick them off).

So I thought my closest unused station might be quite far away but it turns out to be Busby, less than 3 miles from where I stay.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Foxton, about 9 miles away, followed closely by Dullingham and Shepreth.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Living in Syston, for a long time the closest was Barrow Upon Soar, but I took care of that last year. It's probably something close to Nottingham now, Bulwell perhaps, but hardly 'feels' close to home!

Status
Not open for further replies.