• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - New railway station architecture: The good, the bad, the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I don’t think that Apperley Bridge will age very well given the amount of concrete blocks used to create the accessible ramps, in 10 years time it may look quite mucky as platform 1 is quite exposed to the elements.

I quit like how platform 1 at Kirkstall Forge is blended into the grass which IIRC has a couple of picnic tables, the tiles around the entrance are a nice touch as well. I just wish that the smashed glass pains on the footbridge could be replaced.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Obviously not applicable right now but annual passenger figures for Eurostar totalled over 11 million journeys in 2019 most of which must have started or ended at St Pancras. This is approx one-third of the national rail entry and exit totals for all three domestic operators using the station in the same year. So International services in a normal year probably generate around as much traffic as a single one of the domestic operators at St Pancras, which is clearly not as much as was predicted when HS1 was being planned, but is definitely not trivial, and has potential for further growth. ...
Not only are there quite few passengers arriving on the Eurostar platforms, but a much higher proportion of them are first-timers than get there as part of commutes or even casual London visitors.
Maybe not "ruined", but it does sometimes seem that Eurostar is the cuckoo in the nest at St. Pancras, and that that EMR are effectively the meadow pipits that have been made to make way! :rolleyes:
With the number of four and five car trains that EMR runs into the London terminal, they could manage with a couple of bay platforms. Just because the original station was designed nearly 160 years ago, for the Midland Railway, it doesn't mean that the speace should be wasted running short-formed trains into the shed when there are 400m sets to be accommodated. I can't understand why some posters here are so possessive about a relic from the mid-Victorian age that they want it to be kept in it's Victorian state. I remember St Pancras as a smoky hole, architecturally interesting but with a very uninviting appearance. It is a travel centre, not a railway station preserved for enthusiasts. It is likely that it's future is much more assured by being fully used in it's current condition. Had the much-delayed Thameslink project (proposed in 1991) gone ahead on time, - i.e. well before the CTRL designers earmarked the underused St Pancras shell, there would be insufficient demand from EMT (as was) to justify keeping the whole station in it's grubby Victorian 'splendour'.

greyman42

Established Member
Oh, and the obvious one: the Domestic extensions to St Pancras look totally out of place alongside the original building. No attempt to blend the old with the new, but at least they aren't easily visible to inbound tourists!
In contrast you could say that the improvements to Kings Cross did not blend in with the original building yet look fantastic.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In contrast you could say that the improvements to Kings Cross did not blend in with the original building yet look fantastic.
That's true I guess. The difference (and yes, this is a subjective opinion) is that the new bits of Kings Cross have a style of their own, whereas the new bits of St Pancras seem to have been designed to be as bland as possible (though with some reasoning behind it, as per the responses to my initial comment).

WesternBiker

The 'design' also moved the pedestrian entrance further away from the city centre and main bus station. They really didn't have to do that to improve car access from the other side. Insane.
Completely agree. The new Newport looks like the Eden project on the cheap.

On a more positive note, I like that the new Kenilworth station is traditional in style - neat and tidy - but bright and welcoming inside. I know it is a fraction of the size of the original (the style of which it echoes), but I think it will stand the test of time better than a lot of the current vogue for glass boxes.

Neptune

Established Member
Not only are there quite few passengers arriving on the Eurostar platforms, but a much higher proportion of them are first-timers than get there as part of commutes or even casual London visitors.
With the number of four and five car trains that EMR runs into the London terminal, they could manage with a couple of bay platforms. Just because the original station was designed nearly 160 years ago, for the Midland Railway, it doesn't mean that the speace should be wasted running short-formed trains into the shed when there are 400m sets to be accommodated. I can't understand why some posters here are so possessive about a relic from the mid-Victorian age that they want it to be kept in it's Victorian state. I remember St Pancras as a smoky hole, architecturally interesting but with a very uninviting appearance. It is a travel centre, not a railway station preserved for enthusiasts. It is likely that it's future is much more assured by being fully used in it's current condition. Had the much-delayed Thameslink project (proposed in 1991) gone ahead on time, - i.e. well before the CTRL designers earmarked the underused St Pancras shell, there would be insufficient demand from EMT (as was) to justify keeping the whole station in it's grubby Victorian 'splendour'.
100% this.

What is the obsession with keeping things as they were in the past if they aren’t fit for purpose.

When I first visited St Pancras in the late 70’s/early 80’s it was a smokey, grey, run down dump. It didn’t improve on this until Eurostar moved in.

Yes the flat roof isn’t a thing of beauty but isn’t the Barlow roof best viewed from within anyway?

For the poster complaining about the glass partitions, these are in place as part of the country’s borders. They could have put a spiked fence up instead I guess!

It’s a long walk from the tube? So are many other platforms at London termini, especially Fenchurch Street which doesn’t even have a tube station.

St Pancras has moved with the times, it appears some people have been left behind in the 19th century and need to move into the 21st century.
I don’t think that Apperley Bridge will age very well given the amount of concrete blocks used to create the accessible ramps, in 10 years time it may look quite mucky as platform 1 is quite exposed to the elements.

I quit like how platform 1 at Kirkstall Forge is blended into the grass which IIRC has a couple of picnic tables, the tiles around the entrance are a nice touch as well. I just wish that the smashed glass pains on the footbridge could be replaced.
Apperley Bridge is a classic example of built down to a budget. It looks awful with all that concrete. Some sympathetic cladding even if it was just at ground level would help.

Kirkstall Forge on the other hand looks reasonable, helped by the development around it.

XAM2175

Established Member
For the poster complaining about the glass partitions, these are in place as part of the country’s borders. They could have put a spiked fence up instead I guess!
Well, it was that or join the Schengen Area. I'm not sure which would have been less popular :p

AM9

Veteran Member
Well, it was that or join the Schengen Area. I'm not sure which would have been less popular :p
I doubt that most proper passengers are stressed about them at all. It's an international travel centre - not unlike modern airports where long corridors and bridges are often divided by glass walls to keep departing and arriving passengers or airside and landside public apart. So at St Pancras, the same (or equivalent e.g. landside/airside) separation requirements are met. The station is not a museum or a rail enthusiasts' theme park.

The exile

Established Member
Most stations built / rebuilt in the past 20 years or so are just utterly bland and functional - e.g. Leeds for a large example. Time will tell whether they start to look dated. Certainly, anything from the 70s and 80s does now.

Probably the last stations which have aged well are the art-deco ones of the 1930s.
Some of the better late 1950s / early 1960s rebuilds (thinking Banbury, Chichester, Coventry) are in themselves not bad - especially considering they are now 60 - 70 years old (how time flies!). I would guess they are next in line to have their "heritage value" rediscovered - at the moment they're suffering a bit from a combination of age, routine maintenance done "on the cheap" (thinking about the hotch-potch of different sorts of reinforced glass in some of the footbridges, which has been left once cracked - presumably because its reinforced so still safe) and no longer matching the conditions for which they were built - but not yet quite "classic" enough to have refurbishment schemes that "strip back the accrued clutter of decades and restore them to their former glory" (which I'm sure I remember reading about a restoration scheme on one of the Victorian "gems"). On a different, but related note, Chris Green and NSE showed what wonders could be worked with a bit of red paint - the opposite also applies - a dull and uninspiring paint scheme puts a "wet blanket" on any first impression which is only marginally better than neglect (I'm looking at you, Greater Anglia!)

Gwenllian2001

Easily the worst modern station design has to be Newport. Not only is it hideous but it lets in the rain, which is a slight problem in Wales!
I couldn't agree more. It is awful and, as you say, the rain it raineth on the platform.

Some of the better late 1950s / early 1960s rebuilds (thinking Banbury, Chichester, Coventry) are in themselves not bad - especially considering they are now 60 - 70 years old (how time flies!). I would guess they are next in line to have their "heritage value" rediscovered - at the moment they're suffering a bit from a combination of age, routine maintenance done "on the cheap" (thinking about the hotch-potch of different sorts of reinforced glass in some of the footbridges, which has been left once cracked - presumably because its reinforced so still safe) and no longer matching the conditions for which they were built - but not yet quite "classic" enough to have refurbishment schemes that "strip back the accrued clutter of decades and restore them to their former glory" (which I'm sure I remember reading about a restoration scheme on one of the Victorian "gems"). On a different, but related note, Chris Green and NSE showed what wonders could be worked with a bit of red paint - the opposite also applies - a dull and uninspiring paint scheme puts a "wet blanket" on any first impression which is only marginally better than neglect (I'm looking at you, Greater Anglia!)
I would add Barry to that list of 50s re-builds. As built it had a well appointed Refreshment Room and excellent suite of toilets. The station is still in one piece but some of the facilities are now out of use.

Last edited:

Revaulx

Most stations built / rebuilt in the past 20 years or so are just utterly bland and functional - e.g. Leeds for a large example. Time will tell whether they start to look dated. Certainly, anything from the 70s and 80s does now.

Probably the last stations which have aged well are the art-deco ones of the 1930s.
The pre-rebuild Leeds (i.e. the 1960s shed) was far worse than the current one. It looked more like a diesel depot than a passenger station.

A handful of late 50s and early 60s stations are pretty decent, though they've been allowed to get very run down in recent times (Banbury, Coventry, Manchester Oxford Road; the latter not helped by having to deal with massively greater quantities of trains and passengers than it was built for). The glass screen along the road frontage at Crewe was really elegant, but I imagine not very robust. Its squat replacement is awful.

bramling

Veteran Member

The trouble, whether or not it’s an enthusiast theme park, is that as a station it doesn’t work well for those who use it.

The EMR and SE platforms are a long way away from the entrance, and this is a deliberate function of having been pushed northwards to create space for Eurostar. As someone who has never used Eurostar, I’d be quite peeved if I were an EMR commuter. They’re lumbered with four platforms which (at times) is operationally restrictive, the concourse is small, and getting to it from other rail services in particular the Underground is contortive. On top of that, personally I find the design is a complete mess, but accept that unlike the operational mess which the station clearly is, that’s a matter of personal taste.

On balance I‘d prefer for Eurostar to have had a purpose built station, and for the commuter / domestic operators to have had the prime spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.