• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: New/reopened stations that caused a significant loss of footfall at another nearby station

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Usually when a new station is being planned, it is expected that there will be sufficient passenger demand to cover its costs. Such demand is likely to be from local people who never used the railway beforehand, but are there many station openings where the main demand is simply abstracted from another nearby station, resulting in a significant net loss of footfall for that station?

For example, when Warrington West opened in late 2019, the service at Sankey for Penketh was reduced to just one train per day in each direction. I expect that this would have caused a mass migration of passengers from SNK to WAW, although the latter only opened in 2019 so I don’t think we can say for certain until the 2020/21 passenger figures are released.

How many other examples are there like this, and which ones abstracted the most from other stations upon opening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
-I believe the opening of Ebbw Vale Parkway abstracted from Pontypool & New Inn and Abergavenny due to the better parking (and getting on an empty train).

-Usage of Lostock visibly dropped when Horwich Parkway opened in 1999.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Usually when a new station is being planned, it is expected that there will be sufficient passenger demand to cover its costs. Such demand is likely to be from local people who never used the railway beforehand, but are there many station openings where the main demand is simply abstracted from another nearby station, resulting in a significant net loss of footfall for that station?

For example, when Warrington West opened in late 2019, the service at Sankey for Penketh was reduced to just one train per day in each direction. I expect that this would have caused a mass migration of passengers from SNK to WAW, although the latter only opened in 2019 so I don’t think we can say for certain until the 2020/21 passenger figures are released.

How many other examples are there like this, and which ones abstracted the most from other stations upon opening?

Ebbw Vale Town abstracted alot of passengers from Parkway.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ebbw Vale Town abstracted alot of passengers from Parkway.
Though presumably that's because Parkway opened first, so was the only option. Once Town opened, those who lived nearer would naturally switch to the more convenient station, leaving Parkway with only those who lived nearby or drove in from further afield (the aforementioned Abergavenny/Pontypool folk) and needed the car park.

This is often an issue with discussing reopenings: abstraction isn't always a negative, but it is always treated as one.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This is often an issue with discussing reopenings: abstraction isn't always a negative, but it is always treated as one.

Not a negative, but in a whole industry sense you need to recognise it to put in a fair case for the scheme, for what journeys are genuinely new to rail.

(Also when promoters of their pet scheme point to how busy A.N.Other such-and-such reopening is, when it is important to understand how and why the passengers come about)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not a negative, but in a whole industry sense you need to recognise it to put in a fair case for the scheme, for what journeys are genuinely new to rail.

(Also when promoters of their pet scheme point to how busy A.N.Other such-and-such reopening is, when it is important to understand how and why the passengers come about)
Well yeah, but the Ebbw Vale example I responded to is a case in point. The branch was extended, any passengers who switched were getting on the same train anyway, just a bit further up the valley. That isn't abstraction in any meaningful sense.

Even those who previously used Abergavenny but switched to Ebbw Vale Parkway, by doing so freed up space on the longer distance services that make up the services at Abergavenny.

xotGD

Established Member
When Birmingham Snow Hill reopened it will have taken passengers from Moor St.

Veteran Member
Depends how significant is significant :)
Saltaire from Shipley, Crossflatts from Bingley, possibly Steeton from Cononley (because of the then Metro fare boundary), no doubt others in WY.
Burnley MR from Central/Rose Grove?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Well yeah, but the Ebbw Vale example I responded to is a case in point. The branch was extended, any passengers who switched were getting on the same train anyway, just a bit further up the valley. That isn't abstraction in any meaningful sense.

Absolutely it is abstraction. The key is to make sure that the net benefit from the gain in passengers overall justifies the expenditure.

Ianigsy

Crossflatts from Bingley, possibly Steeton from Cononley (because of the then Metro fare boundary)
And the rest....my understanding was that people were driving from as far afield as Skipton and East Lancashire to Crossflatts as the first station in Metro Zone 3 and the local councillors complained to Metro from time to time because outsiders were getting most of the benefit.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Conway Park hadn’t taken custom away from Hamilton Square and Birkenhead Central, but then again it might also have taken some punters from the bus as previously if you were coming from the West Kirby or New Brighton direction and wanted the Birkenhead town centre shops (yes, there used to be some) then it was either a trek back from Hamilton Square or changing to the bus at Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.