• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: No train service between two adjacent stations on a through route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emaharg

If were considering directionality, then there's Patchway to Pilning. The latter's Down Platform is out of use due to the footbridge being removed to allow electrification. No electric trains call at either station, by the way.
There are Cardiff Taunton services on a Saturday, with a class 800 that pan up at Patchway Station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
There are Cardiff Taunton services on a Saturday, with a class 800 that pan up at Patchway Station.
I don't they're booked Cl800 since the last timetable change (or is it because of the shortage due to the cracks)?

Oxfordblues

My favourite was Manchester Exchange (in Salford) to Manchester Victoria (in Manchester). No trains called at both stations, but they were connected by a long platform. It was a rare case of a traveller being able to buy a platform ticket for their journey - the catch being that they'd have to walk!

Sean Emmett

I don't they're booked Cl800 since the last timetable change (or is it because of the shortage due to the cracks)?
Cardiff - Tauntons will be pan down at Patchway, pan up in other direction.

Has Patchway to St Andrews Road been mentioned yet? Also Bristol Parkway and Filton Abbey Wood to St Andrews Road.

Severn Beach Line Passenger Assoc ran various specials picking up on the branch stations, incl one I travelled on to Pwllheli. This picked up at Avonmouth and Pilning, but not St Andrews Road.⁷

Last edited:

Versa274

Not sure on this one but im sure when i checked last that there is no service between Apperley bridge and Kirkstall Forge on the leeds to Skipton/Bradford/ilkley triangle

Guiseley and Kirkstall Forge.
Also possible between Apperley Bridge and kirkstall forge

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Not sure on this one but im sure when i checked last that there is no service between Apperley bridge and Kirkstall Forge on the leeds to Skipton/Bradford/ilkley triangle

There's a frequent service between Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Instances of direct services but not via the direct route:

Stonehouse and Cheltenham Spa (all services via Gloucester)
Heald Green and Styal (all services via Manchester Airport)

ABB125

Established Member
Instances of direct services but not via the direct route:

Stonehouse and Cheltenham Spa (all services via Gloucester)
Heald Green and Styal (all services via Manchester Airport)
Similarly, between Cheltenham and Cam and Dursley (again, everything which calls at CDU goes via Gloucester)

Halish Railway

Established Member

There have always been trains between both Apperley Bridge & Kirkstall Forge, being served by the Bradford Forster Square to Leeds train.

Granted, when it first opened Kirkstall Forge was served by every other Ilkley to Leeds train on weekdays and Saturdays for some bizarre reason, although it was served by the Bradford Forster Square to Leeds service on Sundays which also called at Apperley Bridge. The current service pattern was introduced in the May 2018 timetable change that subsequently made the direct Guiseley to Kirkstall Forge journey impossible.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
2137 Liverpool-Nottingham calls at Grindleford and Chesterfield, it operates via Sheffield and the ‘old road’ to Chesterfield.

If I have interpreted it right, I think the opening post refers to train services between two adjacent stations on a line of route.

As things presently stands, there are no trains that call at both Chesterfield (or Dronfield) and Dore & Totley/Grindleford that runs via Dore South Curve (unsure if it is intended to construct a platform on the South Curve or if there ever was one there).

Sbahn4

Thirsk and Selby via York avoiding line
Thirsk and Doncaster, as above.
Poppleton and Selby/ Doncaster Via York avoiding line.
Regent Centre and Longbenton on the TYne and wear Metro.

regent centre and longbenton are not even on the same line.

Sbahn4

correct, and is extremelly rarely used for stock movement and even rarer passenger services.
however, the two stations have never been on the same line.

I remember doing it on a BLS tour where the line was covered and it was very slow due to the track condition

definately not up to daily passenger use standard. and soon wont exist after the depot modernisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.