• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - non-stationary stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
That's why I specifically stated "the London terminus of the former Midland Railway" ;)

Lots of services now stop at different platforms in enlarged stations (or even in unenlarged stations). It doesn't mean the station has moved.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Do non-geographical "moves" count? Manors has moved in status from being a major and bustling junction to being a rather run-down inner-city hovel with a skeleton service! ;)

steamybrian

Established Member
Strood- original station was a terminus which later became the goods yard.
Unsure if these London Underground stations have been mentioned.-
Tower Hill resited in 1967
Buckhurst Hill- original station still stands south of the present station.
Kings Cross (Metropolitan Line station) closed in 1940 due to bomb damage and present station opened in 1941. (Widened line platforms became Kings Cross Thameslink)
Uxbridge resited 1938.
Bishopstone resited 1938 (original station subsequently reopened as Bishopstone Beach Halt until 1942
Caterham resited 1899

Docklands Light Railway- Island Gardens, Mudchute, South Quay and Herons Quay have all been resited

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
As the old station was still being used and the new one built Hillingdon must have had the longest platform on the underground

steamybrian

Established Member
East Grinstead has been resited three times and qualifies for vertical and horizontal moves-
The first station opened in 1855 and closed in 1866 (The building still stands east of the present station adjacent to Beeching Way)
The second station (1866-1883) east of the first station (was adjacent to London Road and Beeching Way was built on the site of it)
The third station (the present one) low level platforms opened in 1882 and the High Level platforms opened in 1883 closed in 1967. Thus the present station (former Low Level platforms) are both horizontally and vertically different to the first station.

bnm

Established Member
A little tenuous, but the station serving Filton in Bristol has changed locations.

Both Maidenhead and Paddington moved from temporary locations to their present ones during the building of the Great Western Railway. Paddington had a terminus west of Bishops Bridge Road. Maidenhead was a terminus east of the River Thames, while the viaduct was being built, on the Bath Road close to the location of the current Taplow station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do non-geographical "moves" count? Manors has moved in status from being a major and bustling junction to being a rather run-down inner-city hovel with a skeleton service! ;)
Manors would probably be in scope for this thread twice, because the completely closed Manors North side on the old loop line replaced the original Blyth and Tyne terminus a bit further north on New Bridge St, and the Manors East platforms on the mainline side (of which only the single island remains), replaced the original terminus of the Newcastle and North Shields line, which was a bit further west on a straighter alignment than the present route towards Central Station.

Link to disused stations article on the timescales: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/manors/

Taunton

Established Member
These two were vertical as well (??) as horizontal. Were the others? Any more vertical moves? City Thameslink I suppose.
Hounslow West
Highgate

And on BR, Retford on the east-west lines, was at ECML level, put into underpass.

I wouldn't call City Thameslink a move because there wasn't a previous one. It's a new station.

steamybrian

Established Member
Hounslow West
Highgate

And on BR, Retford on the east-west lines, was at ECML level, put into underpass.

I wouldn't call City Thameslink a move because there wasn't a previous one. It's a new station.

Hounslow West- When reconstructed station used the same booking office but new platforms on different alignment were built.
Highgate- From 1941 when the Underground station opened all four platforms were then in use. The High Level island platform closed in 1954 and was the second station on the site because the original station had side platforms and I believe the original ticket office is now a private house.

City Thameslink replaced Holborn Viaduct which was on a higher level above the station occupying the sites of that station and Ludgate Hill (closed 1929). The original entrance to Holborn Viaduct station forms one of the entrances to City Thameslink station.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
City Thameslink replaced Holborn Viaduct which was on a higher level above the station occupying the sites of that station and Ludgate Hill (closed 1929). The original entrance to Holborn Viaduct station forms one of the entrances to City Thameslink station.

That was my thinking, I didn't think we'd quibble that much about names!

Retford low level platforms. Another sitter I missed.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Just looking at my documentation, there are over 350 present day operational National Rail Stations that have been moved/rebuilt from their original site.

Surely, this and this huge long list - I mean, it feels as if more stations have been moved than remain on their original sites - surely this only goes to prove that the railway pioneers should have waited, say, 20 - 25 years before building the stations, then they'd have been more likely to get it right in the first place, and save the relocation?

It's common sense, surely? :)

LDECRexile

Established Member
Surely, this and this huge long list - I mean, it feels as if more stations have been moved than remain on their original sites - surely this only goes to prove that the railway pioneers should have waited, say, 20 - 25 years before building the stations, then they'd have been more likely to get it right in the first place, and save the relocation?

It's common sense, surely? :)

I was once told that when Lancaster University was built on a green and brownfield site in the 1960s the builders built all the fixed things, like buildings and roads, but deliberately waited a while until people had trodden footpaths, then that's where they tarmacked them.

It could be an urban myth.

IanD

Established Member
I was once told that when Lancaster University was built on a green and brownfield site in the 1960s the builders built all the fixed things, like buildings and roads, but deliberately waited a while until people had trodden footpaths, then that's where they tarmacked them.

It could be an urban myth.

Desire paths.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Does Angel Road count? The platforms haven't moved, but the station entrance was relocated from the eponymous viaduct (at the London end of the plaforms) to a new road bridge over the railway (beyond the country end of the platforms) in the 90s as part of the North Circular Road upgrade.

Slightly ironic is that it's proposed to move it back again (albeit on a completely new site) as part of the "Meridian Water" development.

Status
Not open for further replies.