TRIVIA: NR Stations with departure screens for another (NR) station

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Mag_seven, 12 Feb 2020.

1. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Was watching Geoff Marshall's latest video and while he was at Coulsdon Town station he noted that there was departure screen for Coulsdon South station there. Coulsdon Town and Coulsdon South stations are completely separate. This got me thinking if there are any similar examples? I can think of Birmingham New St where I've seen a departure screen for Birmingham Moor St.

For this thread I am excluding separate departure screens for other parts of the same station (e.g. low level platforms) and departure screens for other forms of transport e.g. LUL, buses, trams etc. I'm confining this to NR stations only.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2020
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Ethano92

Ethano92 Member

I think the last time I went to Purley Oaks, departures were shown for Sanderstead station a short walk away.

4. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Was there last time I visited. Likewise Upper Warlingham & Whyteleafe have boards for the other station

You could probably put Kings Cross & St Pancras on the list as well as Peterborough & Cambridge services from St Pancras show on the boards at Kings Cross.

5. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

I think I also might have seen a departure screen for Waterloo East station in Waterloo (main)?

6. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Not a seperate board, but King's Cross shows northbound GN Thameslink departures from St Pancras on the same board.

7. ag51ruk

ag51ruk Member

Going back a few years(mid 1980s!), the St Pancras Solari board had two panels for departures from Kings Cross Midland City (later Thameslink) after the Bedford - Moorgate electrification was completed - they were coloured blue rather than the usual black

8. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

I believe you are correct

9. USBT

USBT Member

Well the obvious one is that Coulsdon South also has Coulsdon Town departures on the screens just beside the ticket barriers (for the up platform at least).

Not particularly impressed with Geoff’s video. It was visiting “all stations on the Tattenham Corner line“, yet he missed the first one (Reedham).

10. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

He does say in the video he's exploring the stations after the line *geographically* branches away from the main line at Coulsdon Town. I.e. the bit most people never see. Plus Reedham is probably not very interesting anyway....

Videos like his have always got to balance the content with watchability - add Reedham in then either the video becomes too long* or reduce the time available for more interesting stations.

*His videos tend to be about 10-15 minutes long - a nice "attention span" length of time I find (especially with my kids around distracting me).

11. RailAleFan

RailAleFan Member

Birmingham New Street has a couple of Moor Street departure screens.

12. Thebaz

Thebaz Member

And vice versa. I can confirm that this is very helpful!

13. fairysdad

fairysdad Member

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
    Hackney Downs has departure boards for Hackney Central. I would assume it goes the other way as well but I'm not sure!

14. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

I wish that Wigan Wallgate and N Western had screens for the other one, but I can imagine that as both stations have platforms 1 and 2 it could be confusing for less-experienced users - and a good excuse for not doing it! (I assume the other examples quoted above are the same, though.)
    It would be very useful to know whether you need to rush across the road, or whether your connection is late too...

15. CHAPS2034

CHAPS2034 Member

If you go to the Wigan Central bar under N Western, it has the boards for both Wigan stations...:D

16. K.o.R

K.o.R Member

The National Railway Museum has a departure board for York ;)

17. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

Stourbridge Town has a departures screen for Stourbridge Junction.

18. route101

route101 Established Member

Suprised Glasgow Queen St and Central dont have screens for each other.