• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Number of stations directly served from a single station...

Status
Not open for further replies.

petermiller36

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. It's a massive (excellent) forum and I've used the search function but not really found anything to cover it.

Firstly, does anyone know which station is the most "networked" on the network? ie from which station can you get to the most other stations with just one trip?

Secondly, is there a quick and easy way of finding out the total number of stations reachable for each station?

This would all be based on a regular Monday to Friday timetable.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GW43125

Established Member
I suspect Edinburgh Waverley wouldn't be a bad shot.

londonmidland

Established Member
Birmingham New Street.

As it has direct trains going to the North West, North East, Midlands (East & West), East, South, South West, West, South Wales, West Wales, & North Wales.

Iskra

Established Member
This has come up before and Birmingham New Street was the clear winner. Leeds was high too.

I'd guess Reading and Cardiff could be 'up there'.

cle

Established Member
My first thought was Clapham Junction - basically all of the Southern and SWT networks. London Bridge similarly must feature a lot.

Key here are suburban networks rather than spread. B'ham New St has both though. But is diluted a bit by Snow Hill. Liverpool and Manchester's are quite split. Cardiff is a decent shout too. Places like Bristol, Brighton and Southampton have some of these appalling Wessex/South Coast stoppers.

The Glasgow stations, through their high and low levels, could be a solid bet here too.

xotGD

Established Member
I was thinking about which principal destinations are not served directly from New St. Norwich, Huddersfield, Sunderland and Middlesbrough came to mind.

Iskra

Established Member
I was thinking about which principal destinations are not served directly from New St. Norwich, Huddersfield, Sunderland and Middlesbrough came to mind.

Inverness, Swansea, Brighton, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Bolton, Blackburn, Bradford, Swindon, Hull.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Based on the weekday timetable I get the following figures

Clapham Junction - 365
Manchester Piccadilly - 335
Birmingham New Street - 251
Glasgow Central (HL+LL) - 242
Cardiff Central - 238
London Victoria - 237
London Bridge - 237
Edinburgh Waverley - 233
Leeds - 221

London Bridge will be third once Thameslink trains start running through again.

petermiller36

Clapham Junction - 365
Cardiff Central - 238
London Victoria - 237
London Bridge - 237
Edinburgh Waverley - 233
Leeds - 221

Is that just with pen and paper? Or is there a fancy way of doing it?

cle

Established Member
Could Waterloo and Waterloo East count as one?

Harbouring

I think the thing that holds New Street back is a lot of the trains to further away destinations are expresses whereas Clapham Junction serves stations from Exeter east to Ore and almost everything in between with a mix of fast and slow trains. Even the small stations on the south hampshire locals and Havant to Chichester get a few services to London that stop at Clapham Jn.

route101

Established Member
Glasgow would be up there , you cant get to Bath but you can arrive .

cuccir

Established Member
At the other end of the scale you've got Stourbridge Town, which has services to Stourbridge Junction and that's it. No intermediate stops.

Are there any other stations that serve only one other?

I don't think so, though the new Kenilworth station will be coming close as it will have services to just two stations (Coventry, Leamington Spa)

twpsaesneg

At the other end of the scale you've got Stourbridge Town, which has services to Stourbridge Junction and that's it. No intermediate stops.

Cardiff Bay - although you can arrive there from stations from Coryton once a day.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member

And Windsor and Eton Central: I think there are quite a number of examples of one station branch lines - and quite a number of those are operated as a shuttle from their mainline station.

petermiller36

Clapham Junction - 365
Cardiff Central - 238
London Victoria - 237
London Bridge - 237
Edinburgh Waverley - 233
Leeds - 221

I got 270 for BHM. But that's still some way behind the top 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.