• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Obsolete or unusual stop position or boarding point markers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
The blue tape on my local SWR station lamp posts has peeled off revealing the old cream colour from SWT and red from NSE

Tester

In early February there was some discussion about the erstwhile 'colour zones' on WCML platforms. This morning as I waited for a northbound Avanti service at Watford Junction, the announcement referred to them - something I don't recall hearing for a while

Have they made a comeback, or have I just not been observant?

bramling

Veteran Member
Even though Stonehouse and Stroud stations are entirely served by IETs these days, it still retains signage for "Cycle HST Loading Point". I think there are also stop markers for HSTs still in place as well.

Cheltenham Spa has stop markings for "VT 220/221", even though Virgin Trains lost the crosscountry franchise years ago at this point!

Cheadle Hulme has the rather bizarre signage "Trains stop 10 metres to the right" ten metres ahead of the stopping point on the northbound Stoke platform, and it's oriented to be read by passengers rather than the driver - what is the point of this, as there is no way anything shorter than 10 metres would ever use that platform, and in any case you don't want to be stood right at the front as that's where the cab door is!

Any other examples of obsolete or unusual signage relating to position or length of trains, such as stop markers for withdrawn fleets?

There’s no doubt still plenty on LU, though gradually disappearing over time.

The Northern Line retained quite a few 7-car markers for 38/59/72 stock well into 95 stock days, and even a couple for reversing facilities which themselves had been abolished. I suspect there’s still some on the sub-surface lines relating to A, C and D stocks, though haven’t been around much recently so some or many of these may have disappeared in the recent past.

The volatile nature of rolling stock deployment on national rail at the moment must mean there’s going to be quite a few obsolete markers over the next few years. The last decade or two have seen things become very stock-specific.

In early February there was some discussion about the erstwhile 'colour zones' on WCML platforms. This morning as I waited for a northbound Avanti service at Watford Junction, the announcement referred to them - something I don't recall hearing for a while

Have they made a comeback, or have I just not been observant?

They were certainly being referred to in manual announcements at Carlisle as recently as the last few years, though I think Carlisle’s announcements have since been automated.

py_megapixel

Established Member
They were certainly being referred to in manual announcements at Carlisle as recently as the last few years, though I think Carlisle’s announcements have since been automated.
I caught a train from Wigan in the summer of 2018; automated announcements were enabled but staff were still announcing the colour zones as the trains arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.