• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Obsolete Railway Terms still used

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Lots of people still saying "saver" and "super saver" when talking about ticket types. I also hear "standard" and "cheap day" sometimes

Yes, and Second Class instead of Standard Class (even though Second was renamed Standard in about 1987. First and Second Class are still used in most of mainland Europe, though).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
It's surprising just how long, out of use phrases still exist and TOC names long after a new operator takes over.
I still refer to signals being yellow and double yellow
LNWR still is London Midland
Railway station
Points are points and not switches.
Still second class, sometimes referred to as cattle class
Buffet not shop
I'm getting my head around the idea of a train manager.
Cheap day return.
British Railways.

philthetube

Established Member
Porter buttons for the external door close buttons on Underground stock, so commonly used that I cannot think what they are supposed to be called

Pete268

I often heard older train drivers refer to the ‘Chock End’. Eventually I plucked up the courage to ask what the heck the ‘Chock End’ was and I was told the ‘modern name is the buffers’!

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I’ve never really understood why people get so hung up over language evolving. It always has (English is particularly good at it) and probably always will.
If Railway station becomes Train station, so what?
Indeed, I would argue it should. In ye olde days it was called Railway station, as that was where the Railway staff were stationed. Nowadays many stations are unstaffed (the few before were called halts) so no Railway staff are stationed there, so they now all become train stations, this also matches bus stations which are rarely when bus staff are stationed, that being the bus depot.
If bus stations are named after the transport, so should train stations.
In reality of course, most people just call it “The Station” and say “Bus Station” if they mean that instead.

Harbornite

Established Member
Punctuality
A common one, but I suppose 'head-code" is somewhat obsolete, given locomotives haven't carried a code on the front for years.

I've found Hitachi's appropriation of the word "express" in IET obsolete/incorrect - an express in the true sense wouldn't stop every 15-20 minutes between Reading and Bristol.

Good thing then that GWR are planning to run more intercity services that won't be calling at Reading!

Harbornite

Established Member
Maybe not the most relevant example but I seem to recall hearing the station announcer at Carlisle refer to 'Manchester London Road' when I was there on the 27th December.

IceAgeComing

Glasgow District Subway or Glasgow Subway Railway 1896-1936
Glasgow Underground 1936-2003
Glasgow Subway 2003-

Although the temporary signs in Queen Street direct people to the “Underground” so it seems to live on...

AndrewE

Established Member
In the English media and tourist books maybe but never, ever, by yer actual Glaswegians.
and in "The Scotsman!"
https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/on-this-day-in-1896-the-glasgow-subway-opens-1-4317225
Save a refurbishment in the late 1970s which saw the system nicknamed “the Clockwork Orange” on account of its circular route and bright new Metro-Cammell orange carriages, the Glasgow Subway remains largely unaltered. Expansion of the six and half mile long, fifteen station circuit has been discussed on numerous occasions but has never come to fruition.
image.jpg

Glasgow Underground at Buchanan Street Station in 2001'. Picture: Allan Milligan

Nice photo of Greenford. Somewhere in the back of my mind Richmond to Gunnersbury comes to mind as the last location where Underground trains were controlled by semaphore signals. Of course this was British Rail land in those days. Don’t know location of last semaphores on a London Transport Line.

And I may be wrong on the first point, so feel free to correct.

John Webb

Established Member
The obsolete term which causes the most (pointless) controversy is yellow signal.
Semaphores were/are yellow. Colour aspect signals are amber but woe betide anybody who says an amber signal. The amount of anger that can cause is similar to insulting somebody's granny.
The recognised standards for signals for use on railways all refer to 'Yellow', so it's a case of using the correct technical term in a safety-related matter as it should be used.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Yes, and Second Class instead of Standard Class (even though Second was renamed Standard in about 1987.
I sometimes still call it 'Third Class', possibly because of my age, or because I see it displayed on preserved rolling stock.

AndrewE

Established Member
I sometimes still call it 'Third Class', possibly because of my age, or because I see it displayed on preserved rolling stock.
If you got into the habit of seeing, using or talking about third class then you must be older than most of us other oldies here by a considerable margin! It finished in 1956 (tho' I don't know how long it would have been before signage was overpainted) and I wasn't really aware of it until reading pre-war thrillers or seeing my first railway museum rolling stock, probably in the mid-'60s.

xotGD

Established Member
This thread demonstrates that when a term has been in use for a long time and then some faceless official decides that it should suddenly be called something different then the public don't just jump into line.

We've had railway examples such as 'second class' but it applies elsewhere such as 'linesman' becoming assistant referee (or is it referee's assistant?), 'the gas board', 'Common Market', etc., etc.

I imagine people have produced PhDs on the subject.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
If you got into the habit of seeing, using or talking about third class then you must be older than most of us other oldies here by a considerable margin! It finished in 1956 (tho' I don't know how long it would have been before signage was overpainted) and I wasn't really aware of it until reading pre-war thrillers or seeing my first railway museum rolling stock, probably in the mid-'60s.

As early as 1956! I didn't know that. That's the year after I was born. I probably picked up the habit from my dad, who's always called it 'third class'.

Western Lord

As early as 1956! I didn't know that. That's the year after I was born. I probably picked up the habit from my dad, who's always called it 'third class'.
Since the early years of the 20th century the "second" class of travel was Third Class following the abolition of second class. In 1956 BR simply renamed third class as second class.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The name Rail Servant seems to have changed over the years. And station names with General in the title, a former Great Western term. MPD Motive Power Depot changed to TMD traction maintenance Depot, do they now call them train crew depots?
A maintenance depot is distinctly different from a Train Crew depot. A crew depot merely hosts crew booking on and off. Usually at a station. Not many maintenance depots are crew points these days.

AndrewE

Established Member
Since the early years of the 20th century the "second" class of travel was Third Class following the abolition of second class. In 1956 BR simply renamed third class as second class.
True, but most people would say it didn't disappear until the railways stopped labelling coaches and tickets "Third."

Andrew1395

There are lots of codes referred to by the original system acronym. For example CRS codes. CRS was replaced by NRS more than a dozen years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.