• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Obsolete Signage at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquireBev

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
At Smethwick Galton Bridge there's a penalty fare notice bearing the logos of Central Trains, Centro, and the Strategic Rail Authority.

At Birmingham New Street in the Red Lounge there's a map of the local area showing the Pallasades Shopping Centre. Particularly impressive as it was presumably installed as part of the same refurbishment that saw the Pallasades demolished.

Anyone seen any other examples recently?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
At one of the central London stations on the Piccadilly line there are large signs advising people how to get to "British Rail" stations (Victoria, Euston and so on). I noticed them last week, but can't remember which station is was.

EM2

Established Member
Is there still signage at Moorgate for 'Great Northern trains to Stevenage'? That's been obsolete and then become relevant again!
Of course, the Northern City line has a lot of beautifully preserved NSE decoration.

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member

U-Bahnfreund

On a railway bridge near Penge West station there are posters advertising "It's faster by train" -- Connex South Central

Kite159

Veteran Member
LU signage at Liverpool Street

In the former ticket office entrance, the Central Line map has North Weald/Ongar mentioned [with a faded sticker over them]. Also on one of the bridges to the Sub Surface Lines it has the H&C as "limited service" dotted from Whitechapel to Barking.

There is a sign on the Jubilee line platforms at Waterloo which still makes reference to the East London Line at Canada Water and National Rail connections at Canning Town

Parallel

Established Member
Not really signage but there are still a few noticeboard frames in Wessex Trains maroon, notably at Freshford and Cheltenham Spa as an example.

DasLunatic

IMG_3172 (1).JPG IMG_3116.JPG
There's a few remnants of NSE around, especially car stop boards. Top one's at Chelmsford, bottom one's at Colchester.

DanNCL

Established Member
There is a sign on the Jubilee line platforms at Waterloo which still makes reference to the East London Line at Canada Water and National Rail connections at Canning Town
The platform signage at Canary Wharf still makes reference to the East London Line at Canada Water as well

An equipment room door at what was 125 House, Swindon still says 'InterCity Great Western' on it (no picture)

One of the internal doors at Bristol PSB had a Railtrack Great Western logo on it, when I worked For the Area Signal Engineer, 7 years ago. Not sure if it’s still there now though.

driver9000

Established Member
Plenty of Network North West signs dotted around the north west including at least one at Preston. Preston also has British Railways Board 'rights of access' notices and Kearsley had an original GMPTE orange sign at the entrance but I'm not sure if that's gone now.

While not an obsolete sign the car park sign at Lockerbie refers to an obsolete body stating it is for BR customers only but is in the current ScotRail style.

whhistle

On Moderation
IMG_20171005_133459.jpg
Midland Mainline leaflet holder at Leicester.

15161824652661842643585.jpg
Regional Railways leaflet/information stand in the Midlands somewhere.

Last edited:

higthomas

At one of the central London stations on the Piccadilly line there are large signs advising people how to get to "British Rail" stations (Victoria, Euston and so on). I noticed them last week, but can't remember which station is was.

There's the same thing at Marylebone tube. Every sign point to the British rail station. Some definitely look to me like they've been replaced in the last 20 years.

Allwinter_Kit

Regional Railways lives on in West Yorkshire. Also goodness knows when Bradford Council's logo was that horrendous.

Attachments

• 20171230_175634.jpg
    20171230_175634.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 360

Bookd

Richmond station has a number of posters from (I think, from memory) the seventies on the staircase to the down platform. I believe they were uncovered as part of a refurbishment and left in place as a historic feature.

pdeaves

Established Member
Lowestoft station is interesting (not my pic):
PE-096-600x400.jpg

(blue enamel British Railways sign with larger blue enamel Lowestoft Central sign below)

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Clapham Junction still has the large sign outside it proclaiming:
London and Brighton South Coast Railway.

I am surprised that survived the move to Southern Railways and then British Railways, let alone anything since then

It's lovely large gold coloured lettering.

Is the sign pointing car drivers to the motorail access poubt still attached to the side of Euston station? I think it should receive posted status if it is. Last saw it in around 2012 but not checked since.

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
The sign at Derby Station that says "Derby Midland Station" was never right in the first place as it was installed when the station was rebuilt in 1985 even though the station was shortened to just Derby in 1968.

tsr

Established Member
There are still one or two signs around East Croydon from what I should imagine was the NSE era, stating that "We care about your safety. Please do not board or alight from a moving train" - or something similar.

Given that slam door trains calling at East Croydon are something of a rarity now (railtours only... and even those don't normally stop there), it's high time someone replaced it with a modern-day equivalent.

My suggested wording would be: "As you may have noticed, our trains have had electric sliding doors for some time, which do not open when the train is leaving the station, no matter how hard you hammer the door buttons. If you have missed the train, please stand clear." However, this wording is rather long-winded and also probably wouldn't be approved by the people at GTR HQ...

Crossover

Established Member
Deansgate is Manchester has numerous signs pointing to the G-Mex venue (now Manchester Central)

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There's a few orange GMPTE signs still dotted about, there's one at Mossley and another at Godley. Network North West still lives on a few GMPTE (e.g. Deansgate) and Lancashire (Ansdell & Fairhaven) station signs. In the south east and at one of the stations on the Mole Valley Line still has the yellow Connex South Central flash on the station totem sign but I can't remember which one. Boxhill, the NSE flash still suvives on the "rear" of its station totem whilst covered on the "front". The station clock at Chichester (the large one above the ticket office) is in NSE colours.

387star

On Moderation
NSE is still abundant if you know where to look. Indeed there is a good website which lists locations...

Off the top of my head Herne Hill and Chichester signal boxes Burgess Hill station frontage and the Northern City line time machine not to mention the spray painted container outside selhurst depot

FCC decade old posters are still on display at the ghostly kings cross tl

As this is about stations all stations round the loop not operated by Southern bar Tooting have the original Thameslink signage which can also be seen on the customer information point sign at St Albans.

First Great Western is still everywhere including on a stop car marker somewhere at Gatwick Airport... There is also a sign on platform 1 bearing the old style red and black stripe presumably missed during the recent signage upgrade

387star

On Moderation
Not really signage but there are still a few noticeboard frames in Wessex Trains maroon, notably at Freshford and Cheltenham Spa as an example.
Yes loads like that

At Patchway there was a bench that looks like it is Arriva Trains Wales colours. Not sure if it is still there..

Dean and Dunbridge have some Regional Railways signage somewhere too

Romsey still has green and black painted station furniture presumably not touched since regional railways?

Portsmouth and southsea low level has a painted class 442 and among other logos the original waitrose brown and orange.

Oh and fareham still has the NSE solent link electrification board on one platform

BigCj34

Cark station still had British Rail on its station entrance sign when I last went there a few years ago. The sign appears to have been changed now though.

Leyland155

There's a few orange GMPTE signs still dotted about, there's one at Mossley and another at Godley. Network North West still lives on a few GMPTE (e.g. Deansgate) and Lancashire (Ansdell & Fairhaven) station signs.

If you're referring to the double-arrow sign outside Deansgate as having the Network NW logo, it was sadly replaced a year or so ago.

mirodo

Clapham Junction still has the large sign outside it proclaiming:
London and Brighton South Coast Railway.

One stop away, Queenstown Road still bears in large letters on the front of the building: L.S.W.R. QUEEN’S ROAD

Status
Not open for further replies.