• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia:Open stations with removed platforms on open lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamybrian

Established Member
Thought of some more-
Wandsworth Road- platforms on Chatham Lines closed in 1916
Clapham High Street- platforms on Chatham Lines closed in 1916
Brixton- platforms on Catford Loop closed 1916
Loughborough Junction 4 platforms removed-
......platforms on Cambria Spur closed 1926
......platforms on Brixton Spur closed 1916 although track still in use for ECS no regular passenger service uses the spur.
All stations between Bromley-by-bow and East Ham inclusive had platforms on the Fenchurch Street- Barking line but all closed by electrification around 1960 following which were only served by LT District line services. Since then West Ham has the platforms reinstated
Similarly Dagenham (Heathway) and Hornchurch platforms on Barking- Upminster line closed and now served solely by LT District Line

Can I count Ruislip Gardens, Greenford, Northolt, Park Royal whose former Great Western platforms were closed and now served by adjacent LT Central line services

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
I think Willesden Junction has been mentioned already, but at the other end of the WCML ....

Rutherglen used to have platforms on the main line to Glasgow Central until the Argyle line (re)opened in the late 1970s.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Acton Mainline, Hanwell & West Ealing

New Malden, Byfleet & New Haw, West Byfleet

Until fairly recently New Malden still had platform faces on the fast lines - has this now changed? My home station from 1961 to 1980, but I haven't been there for a few years.

I would also nominate Cheam - an oddity as it had its 'fast' lines and associated platforms removed in the 1950s.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Until fairly recently New Malden still had platform faces on the fast lines - has this now changed?

I think there's an element of confusion in the thread generally. The OP asked about platforms that had been removed, the first reply jumped straight in with platforms that were present but out of use.

So on the SWML New Malden (or Esher or Walton OT) wouldn't really be answers, but e.g. Farnborough would.

Has Winchfield on the SWML been mentioned?

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
I would also nominate Cheam - an oddity as it had its 'fast' lines and associated platforms removed in the 1950s.

Incorrect.!
Cheam had fast lines through the middle of the station which were removed in the 1970s.
When the station was planned it was proposed to build an island to serve the fast lines but the platform was never built and the vacant wide space was left empty. See Wikipedia "history" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheam_railway_station

Last edited:

gazr

New Malden the fast line platforms are still technically in use, though I've no idea when they were last used. They even have (or had) PIS screens installed! West Byfleet's down fast platform is still in use, didn't think there'd ever been one for the up fast.

The only time I remember stopping at New Malden fast line platform was back in the 90s when engineering led to trains starting DF at Wimbledon, crossing to UF @ West Junction and running wrong line for a good long way (probably to Surbiton). Don't think that'll happen again any time soon.

Darren R

Established Member
Salford Central doesn't count, there has never been platforms on the lines towards Liverpool via Chat Moss...

That's not strictly accurate - for a couple of years or so in the early 1990s, platforms were opened on the Chat Moss Lines behind Salford Central whilst remodelling/resignalling work took place on the ex-Lanky lines. Trains were diverted from Victoria via Ordsall Lane Junction, but continued to call at Salford Central in the meantime. I can't remember whether Eccles-bound trains used the platforms as well though.

(Sorry - dontcha just love pedants! :lol:)

RichJF

At both Esher and Walton on Thames, the platform in the centre is still in place but no longer has any way of passengers getting on or off. In the case of Walton the platform has landscaping and shrubbery meaning it'd be a job to negotiate anyway! In the days of slammers both platforms had "Do not alight here" signs but I'm not sure if they still do as they're not strictly necessary anymore.

Similarly to this, Purley & Purley Oaks still have platform 1 there, but they are disconnected from the rest of the station by locked gates, closed walkways etc but both have PIS screen installed, Purley Oaks with no shelter at all on the fast line. South Croydon has a small walkway from the underpass to the ticket office but no access to platform 1.

All of these three platforms are very rarely, if ever used.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Similarly to this, Purley & Purley Oaks still have platform 1 there, but they are disconnected from the rest of the station by locked gates, closed walkways etc but both have PIS screen installed, Purley Oaks with no shelter at all on the fast line. South Croydon has a small walkway from the underpass to the ticket office but no access to platform 1.

A train (the 0840 ex-Redhill) I was on about a month ago used Purley's platform 1 in the morning peak owing, I think, to a failed train in platform 3.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Incorrect.!
Cheam had fast lines through the middle of the station which were removed in the 1970s.
When the station was planned it was proposed to build an island to serve the fast lines but the platform was never built and the vacant wide space was left empty. See Wikipedia "history" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheam_railway_station

Thank you, sir!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Esher could feasibly be brought back into use by adding a staircase from the footbridge, but Walton with its landscaped garden on the island I'd argue that while the platform structure hasn't been demolished it is no longer a viable platform so should qualify for this thread.

backontrack

Established Member
Georgemas Junction is another. Originally it had two platforms, but it lost its second one (and effectively its passing place) quite recently when the 'up' platform was converted to serve as part of the railhead for Dounreay.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

There is a train booked to call at Purley platform 1 every weekday morning - 2C01 0536 Horsham to London Victoria - it is booked to cross slow to fast at Stoats Nest Junction and then call at Purley.

Obviously Purley Oaks and South Croydon up fast platforms only see use during engineering work closures of the slow lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.