• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Overhead Live Wire signs (warning flashes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Having got off the train at Heaton Chapel yesterday I noticed this (see pic) on one of the overhead support structures, this being the original style of BR overhead live wires warning flash applied to lineside buildings/structures and on locomotives/coaches/units dating back ( I think) to the late 1950s onwards (I think they may have started first on the Southern Region and the earliest shot I can find is dated 1958 and applied to the smoke deflectors of an ex Southern Mogul) since superceded twice, the current one being yellow with a white background. It got me wondering how many examples of these original flashes remain on the national network, I haven't seen one on any item of mainline stock for many years now, have any members noticed any other examples remaining be it on a building or item of rolling stock, ( I accept this is not the most exciting subject ;))

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 367
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brick60000

Not on the national network anymore, so not completely on topic, but the other day I saw one remaining on the former road bridge (now for pedestrians) that carried the road over what used to be the Stafford to Uttoxeter line. Given there is not much else left of the line around here, I was surprised this was still in place!!

http://goo.gl/maps/QEhKW

thenorthern

Established Member
I think the Mallard had one on for a while. I know the Class 15x sprinters have them at the end of each coach.

I think the Class 170s have them at the end of their coaches but because most people don't look their they don't see them.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Not on the national network anymore, so not completely on topic, but the other day I saw one remaining on the former road bridge (now for pedestrians) that carried the road over what used to be the Stafford to Uttoxeter line. Given there is not much else left of the line around here, I was surprised this was still in place!!

http://goo.gl/maps/QEhKW

Why was it placed there, was the line formerly wired from the other side of the bridge to the mainline junction?

brick60000

Why was it placed there, was the line formerly wired from the other side of the bridge to the mainline junction?
I'm not completely sure to be honest. Could it have been an advanced warning of wires that were to come?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I'm not completely sure to be honest. Could it have been an advanced warning of wires that were to come?

I think maybe your correct, thought at first it was wired for a short distance up to the bridge similar to the former Wellington line on the other side, doesn't seem to be any photographic evidence available online though,

cheers!

Ploughman

Established Member
We have just bought a batch of brand new ones for placing on our fleet of civils vehicles on the NYMR.
3 are destined for being placed on a Rail crane in view of the operator to remind him of any OH Power lines.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
We have just bought a batch of brand new ones for placing on our fleet of civils vehicles on the NYMR.
3 are destined for being placed on a Rail crane in view of the operator to remind him of any OH Power lines.

Ah right, so the original version is still available today then, are these vinyl or plastic versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.