• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Overlapping station names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If the requirement is simply, two stations share a word (which is how most people who've replied seem to have interpreted it), then there must be dozens, if not hundred of pairs. Basically anywhere where a line has multiple stations in the same town and with the name of the town featuring in the station's name.

If the requirement is for the name of a station to be contained wholely in the name of another station, then it's more interesting and there'd be fewer places.

Your suggestion of West Hampstead and West Ham seems particularly unusual because the two stations actually refer to completely different places. I wonder if there are any other examples like that?
It might not strictly count (but the names are close enough to be worth noting on this thread), but here's another of the latter type: certain evening trains on the South Coast call at both Bosham and Cosham.

flitwickbeds

Most posts above don't qualify. "Tyndrum Lower" isn't contained in "Tyndrum Upper" in the same way as the examples ("West Ham" fully contained inside "West Hampstead" and "Reading" is fully contained inside "Reading West").

Two of my own which do qualify:

Luton > Luton Airport Parkway
Bedford > Bedford St John's

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think I've found a corker:

Islip > West Ruislip

There's only a very small number of services that call at both, but they do exist (the 0815 from Islip gets into West Ruislip at 0914 for example).

notlob.divad

Established Member
A few off the top of my head that are not the same town / city name

Edge Hill to Rainhill
Broad Green to Lea Green
Wavertree Technology Park to Eccleston Park
Whiston and Huyton
Huyton and Preston
Pres
cott and Preston

Edge Hill and Mossley Hill

All on 2 lines coming out of Liverpool. There must be hundreds if not thousands of combinations

pompeyfan

Established Member
Portchester, Portsmouth and Southsea and Portsmouth harbour are all served regularly by direct trains.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Most posts above don't qualify. "Tyndrum Lower" isn't contained in "Tyndrum Upper" in the same way as the examples ("West Ham" fully contained inside "West Hampstead" and "Reading" is fully contained inside "Reading West").

Two of my own which do qualify:

Luton > Luton Airport Parkway
Bedford > Bedford St John's
Would you say that Wolverton is fully contained inside Wolverhampton? (Although sadly no direct trains all the way through today, did the Wolverton portion go through in that ill-fated attempt to split/join at New Street?)

flitwickbeds

Stretching it probably, but doesn't that fail anyway as there's no direct trains between the two?

Garforth > East Garforth

Tenuous and not currently a direct service:

York > Bramley (Yorks)
Two more inspired by yours

Guildford > London Road (Guildford)
Brighton > London Road (Brighton)

zwk500

Veteran Member
Stretching it probably, but doesn't that fail anyway as there's no direct trains between the two?
Definitely today, but may have had a portion go through about 2 years ago when they were splitting at New Street?
Two more inspired by yours

Guildford > London Road (Guildford)
Brighton > London Road (Brighton)
This is in the same boat as the (Yorks) example above, for me. The station in Brighton is just called London Road, the suffix is only used in the computer systems and publicity.

notlob.divad

Established Member
Ahh, maybe I misunderstood. I did not see the significance of fully contained. The title of the thread was overlapping names.

telstarbox

Established Member
It's possible that a service has run from Charing Cross to Charing (Kent) before although it's not the normal route.

I think I've found a corker:

Islip > West Ruislip

There's only a very small number of services that call at both, but they do exist (the 0815 from Islip gets into West Ruislip at 0914 for example).
Tasty!

noddingdonkey

Looks like there are quite a few

Llanrwst and North Llanrwst
Stratford upon Avon and Stratford Upon Avod Parkway
Greenford and South Greenford
Aylesbury and Aylesbury Vale Parkway
Barry and Barry Docks
Braintree and Braintree Freeport
Bromborough and Bromborough Rake
Denham and Denham Golf Club
Lelant and Lelant Saltings
Maesteg and Maesteg (Ewenny Road)
Maghull and Maghull North
Mansfield to Mansfield Woodhouse
Matlock and Matlock Bath
Newbury and Newbury Racecourse
Purley and Purley Oaks

topydre

Pembroke - Pembroke Dock

An interesting one: if we use the Welsh name of Chester as Caer (as on announcements etc) then there are services to Caerdydd Canolog (Cardiff Central) and Caergybi (Holyhead)

Last edited:

London Trains

Does the station name have to be fully contained in order, cause otherwise:

Tring...Leighton Buzzard
Cheam...Mitcham Eastfields
Harlesden...Harrow and Wealdstone

Gloster

Established Member
I must admit that I thought that the whole of one station name must be contained within another: Lelant and Lelant Saltings count. Just having part of one name in another station’s name (Bere Ferrers and Bere Alston) wouldn’t count. If that was the case you could have Esher and Surbiton as they both have S in the name.

Does telstarbox want to comment?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.