• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Paint Colours/Livery Descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncombec

There is something about paint colours that just defy simple explanation: have you tried buying a tin of "white" paint recently? From Moonlight White to Urban Jungle (green), Sugar Sweet (pink) to Delicate Blossom (beige?), there are always wild and wacky descriptors. This got me thinking about paint colours, or livery descriptions, on buses.

The Amazon 'AZ' service operated by Go-Goach has a base colour of "Squid Ink" grey (isn't squid ink black?). Eastbourne Buses at one point had "Aircraft Blue and Biscuit" (do aircraft only come in one colour of blue?), and the official description of Arriva's former livery was, if I remember correctly, "Aquamarine and Cotswold Stone, with a Champagne separator". (Funny coloured champagne!)

Historic (anything not used now, including all those post-deregulation wonders) or modern, location not a concern... over to you!

(No prizes for 'Poppy red' and whatever the green colour was called by the NBC, unless they actually had other names!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
NBC Green was called Leaf Green. Apparently it was a devil to match if the bus had a bump.

Eyersey468

Established Member
EYMS original colours were Indigo and Primrose, the coaching side was painted Riviera Blue and Primrose

Mal

Edinburgh Corporation and Lothian buses have always been madder and white since 1919 except for that awful Harlequin livery, now gone, thank God!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
"Strathclyde red" and black for the PTE of the same name, even though it was orange.

Alexander's and it's Midland successor used Azure blue and ivory (some say cream).

Highland Omnibuses were painted poppy red and grey until they adopted "Fife" red, which I believe Ayres red. I think the blue they used on earlier liveries was peacock blue.

Strathtay's livery was French blue, marigold (orange) and white.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I believe the colour traditionally used on wheels on London buses was ‘Indian Red’, and I think I’ve heard the overall red referred to as ‘Ayers Red’.

jp4712

Rochdale Corporation’s shade of blue was officially known as monastral blue, which is the same name as the 1964 corporate BR blue although the Rochdale colour seemed a bit deeper. Ribble’s main colour was cherry red - accurate, it was indeed the colour of a nice ripe cherry…

DunsBus

Established Member
"Strathclyde red" and black for the PTE of the same name, even though it was orange.

Alexander's and it's Midland successor used Azure blue and ivory (some say cream).

Highland Omnibuses were painted poppy red and grey until they adopted "Fife" red, which I believe Ayres red. I think the blue they used on earlier liveries was peacock blue.

Strathtay's livery was French blue, marigold (orange) and white.
Of course, the reason why the Strathclyde PTE orange was called Strathclyde Red was to avoid the equivalent of World War III breaking out in Glasgow. Mention the word "orange" in some parts of the city and you risk yourself leaving in the back of a hearse!

DunsBus

Established Member
Lowland's green and yellow were described as Malachite Green and Canary Yellow.

Established Member
Edinburgh Corporation and Lothian buses have always been madder and white since 1919 except for that awful Harlequin livery, now gone, thank God!
It used to be madder but isn't anymore - when they tried it on the livery that replaced harlequin, madder was found to look too drab on the newer buses and was replaced with weinrot instead.

Leyland Bus

Rochdale Corporation’s shade of blue was officially known as monastral blue, which is the same name as the 1964 corporate BR blue although the Rochdale colour seemed a bit deeper. Ribble’s main colour was cherry red - accurate, it was indeed the colour of a nice ripe cherry…
Rochdale and BR "Rail Blue" are definitely not the same! I've painted both and they are quite different.

There was a wonderful debate on Twitter awhile ago over the term "Monastral Blue" but I cannot remember the outcome, although I feel Monastral Blue isn't correct...

Hth

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Isn't it 'Weinrot' now? A slightly lighter shade?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Wasn't it originally Madder and cream, as carried by the Volvo/E400XLB liveried for the centenary?
That sounds like something you'd suffer from the morning after!

duncombec

Some interesting replies so far - I've tried typing some of these colours into Google, and the variety of shades that allegedly go with the same name is quite something!

NBC Green was called Leaf Green. Apparently it was a devil to match if the bus had a bump.
Thanks! I have only heard the description a couple of thousand times, yet for some reason I could only think of "Apple green", which I knew wasn't correct! Trying to remember who used Brunswick Green, and feeling like I really should know...

Rochdale Corporation’s shade of blue was officially known as monastral blue, which is the same name as the 1964 corporate BR blue although the Rochdale colour seemed a bit deeper.
Presumably 'Phthalocyanine Blue', which is apparently another name for it (or at least a pigment in it) was too difficult to spell!

South Yorkshire Transport was cameo ....
What colour is a cameo?! Memory would suggest beige?

'Wine red'... Hmm.. Merlot? Shiraz?

Eyersey468

Established Member
I'm not sure any bus company did use Brunswick Green, I know the GWR and BR did, and yes I also know they didn't officially call it Brunswick Green I believe they called it Locomotive Green.

DunsBus

Established Member
The shade of dark green used by Eastern Scottish and its various incarnations was known as Lothian Green.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thanks! I have only heard the description a couple of thousand times, yet for some reason I could only think of "Apple green", which I knew wasn't correct! Trying to remember who used Brunswick Green, and feeling like I really should know...
Wasn't it Southdown who used apple green?
I'm not sure any bus company did use Brunswick Green, I know the GWR and BR did, and yes I also know they didn't officially call it Brunswick Green I believe they called it Locomotive Green.
IIRC, the post-deregulation Crosville did use Brunswick Green.... and Zippy corroborates that. They did latterly use it with cream but as an early version, they apparently used "marigold"

Eyersey468

Established Member
Wasn't it Southdown who used apple green?

IIRC, the post-deregulation Crosville did use Brunswick Green.... and Zippy corroborates that. They did latterly use it with cream but as an early version, they apparently used "marigold"

Thank you

Simon75

On Moderation
Eastern National Post deregulation, spinach and custard at one stage

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Cardiff Bus' previous livery, although green in appearance was actually called 'Burgess blue'. I like the new one but it's yet another Best Impressions copy and paste job.

Mal

Wasn't it originally Madder and cream, as carried by the Volvo/E400XLB liveried for the centenary?

That sounds like something you'd suffer from the morning after!
Edinburgh buses have never used cream in the bus livery but may have used cream on their old tour buses though. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)

Status
Not open for further replies.