TRIVIA: Pairs of stations that nobody has ever made a journey between

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by PTR 444, 3 Sep 2019.

1. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

There’s a few passengers get on at Woolston nearly every time I go through... I doubt they all get off by St Denys...

2. PTR 444

PTR 444 Member

More than likely to be ultimately travelling to destinations beyond Southampton then.

3. iainbhx

iainbhx Member

I suspect I'm the only person to have bought a Spring Road to Tonypandy 7 day season.

4. 53703

53703 Member

There's loads along those lines (Forgive the pun): Burnley, Newark, Wakefield, Pontefract, Manchester, Liverpool, St Helens, Wigan

5. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

Me and the missus's are probably the only people to board at Overpool and alight at Dent on a through excursion train (and v.v.).

6. rgwwfc

rgwwfc Member

I've gone Northallerton to Poole. not likely to have been done many times!

7. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I wonder if I am the only person who has ever made the journey from Newbury to Coatbridge Sunnyside?

This was back in September 1984, by the way.

8. xc170

xc170 Member

As I doubt there is a way to confirm either way for any of these suggestions, my suggestion is Corrour to Smallbrook Junction.

9. Statto

Statto Established Member

That's for a Sunday service, however NRE site suggests something more straightforward
    10.41 Hope, Derbyshire
    11.34 Manchester Piccadilly

11.56 Manchester-Piccadilly
    12.58 Chester

13.35 Chester
    13.50 Wrexham General

15.08 Wrexham General
    15.21 Hope, Flintshire

It might be possible to arrive earlier going via Shotton, but annoyingly the connection at Chester is very tight, at 4 minutes, the train departs Chester 13.02, arrives at Shotton 13.10, then 13.52 Shotton to Hope, Flintshire arriving 14.09

10. Steddenm

Steddenm Member

I remember buying a London Terminals to Cultra NI CIV ticket for £29 a few years ago for travel via Glasgow. Only reason was for a cheap (with weekend first) ticket for Glasgow.

11. Wirewiper

Wirewiper Member

In my brief stint as a BR ticket clerk I did once encounter a passenger with a ticket "Flowery Field to Streatham BR". It was a handwritten paper ticket as it was pre-APTIS.

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Member

Yeovil Pen Mill to Yeovil Jct?

13. Y Ddraig Coch

Y Ddraig Coch Member

Blaenau Ffestiniog to Penrhyndeudraeth - 9 miles and 15 minute drive or an 8 hour train ride down the Conwy valley, along the North Wales Coast into England and trough Shrewsbury finally arriving tired and fed up at Porthmadog just in time to get the train home..... well that is as long as you get the first service in the morning or the 9 mile walk / drive will take you an overnight trip on a train.

14. beermaddavep

beermaddavep Member

Hartlepool to Wool used to be my regular journey.
    Wonder if anyone has ever bought a ticket from Acocks Green to Penistone? :)

15. mailbyrail

mailbyrail Member

Had a wedding at Shottle Hall Derbyshire on a Sunday
    One of the guests travelled Durham to Duffield which must fall into the very infrequent category, but then changed onto the Ecclesbourne Railway onwards to Shottle station for the wedding close by.
    I doubt anybody has done the journey Durham to Shottle because they needed to, and even enthusiasts would do the whole line to Wirksworth rather than just one stop.

16. lyndhurst25

lyndhurst25 Member

Barton-on-Humber to Hessle? £40.10 for a single ticket on the roundabout rail route, or a relatively short walk/cycle/bus/taxi across the Humber Bridge.

17. rower40

rower40 Member

Mid 1980's, a promotion called "Mad March Fares" was launched by BR.
    I bought, at Cambridge station, a Bodmin Parkway (or was it still Bodmin Road then?) to Kyle of Lochalsh return. The clerk was most grateful that the promotion had a maximum fare of £25 - "I don't want to have to look this one up" were his words.
    Up sleeper from Bodmin to Paddington, bike to Euston to meet fellow-student friend, onto the Clansman to Inverness to connect with the evening service to Kyle. 3 nights in youth hostels & 2 days cycling, then equivalent return journey. Not an HST or modern DMU in sight, so guard's vans all round for the bikes!

18. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Recently had cause to make journeys from Cambridge North to Dorridge and Cambridge North to Romsey, which can't be too common...

19. peteb

peteb Member

Several years ago there used to be a direct Peterborough to London Liverpool St train via Ipswich. I tried to buy a single from Peterborough but no route possible so had to buy on train. Guard said hed never sold one before, as most folks doing that entire route were ad a result of ECML problems and they had Peterborough to London all stations tickets. Mind you I would have thought that route would fall under the any permitted rule?

20. a_c_skinner

a_c_skinner Established Member

Rover and Ranger maps show what looks like a "rail" bus service doing that. Predictably Northern cannot make any sense of this. Can anyone here?

21. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Permitted by virtue of being a direct train.

22. vlad

vlad Member

I got that train a couple of times but only between Peterborough and Ipswich.

IIRC its advertised destination was something like Shenfield or Ingatestone.

23. peteb

peteb Member

Aha yes it was a semi-fast from Ipswich but I seem to remember its last stop was quite near London. I guess it wasn't advertised from Peterborough to avoid passengers boarding and ending up on the 3 hour trundle through East Anglia (which is why I took it)!

24. peteb

peteb Member

Back to original thread: I wonder how many people have ever bought a Birmingham New Street to Birmingham Moor Street single? It's only a 5 minute walk but a fare is available £5.20 single via Smethwick Galton Bridge.

25. peteb

peteb Member

Does that mean you can go between any two points on a direct train without paying for the extra mileage if it takes a circuitous route then?

26. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

I've not done either despite supporting both Bradford (PA) FC and Bramley RLFC. But I've done Chester to Chester Road to visit in-laws.

Some of smaller non-local stations I've travelled to or from, without a detour or substantial break of journey, (probably) from my local station Little Sutton include

Spondon, Millbrook (Beds), Fenny Stratford, Ferriby, Godley East, North Berwick, Falkirk Grahamston, Foxfield, Heysham, Gainsborough Central, Brigg, Kiveton Park, South Elmsall, Moorthorpe, Carlton, St Albans Abbey, Langley Mill, Hucknall, Duffield, Belper, Gretna Green, Martins Heron, Grangetown, Barry Island, Kendal and Charing Cross (via Partick). Also numerous places on LUL and the near continent.

Stanlow & Thornton to Derby must also be fairly rare.

27. d9009alycidon

d9009alycidon Member

When I was at University, BR ran a promotion to sell Student Railcards halfway through the year, the bait was a return ticket anywhere in the country. A group of us took the opportunity to make one last pilgramage to Barry, my ticket (filled out myself) was Coatdyke to Barry Island. We used the obscurity of the stations to plan a fairly circutous route there and back

28. D5233

D5233 New Member

From my local station of Mills Hill, I can't imagine many other people have travelled to Aberdeen or Plymouth, or to any of the more unusual stations I've had reason to visit: Balloch Central, Falmer, Narberth, or Llanfairpwll...

29. Y Ddraig Coch

Y Ddraig Coch Member

I once had cause to travel two weekends on the bounce from Conwy to Mills Hill..... very random.

30. Sad Sprinter

Sad Sprinter Member

I think Balham to Tooting would be a strange one considering it’ll take at least twice as long as the Northern Line or 355 bus.