• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Passenger trains/locomotives that are named after destinations they don't/can't serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
so based on some of the posts here , a unit or loco should be renamed if it is transfered to another TOC ? if that were the case should most preserved locos's be renamed acording to their current locations? Should locos named after regiments or Racehorses be renamed if the regiment or racehorse is no longer in existence. Of course not a name is given and should be carried for the life of the loco (or unit). Based on the earlier posts stock would be fitted with Dot Matrix units on the side instead of nameplates and could be renamed daily acording to use.
Remember the controversy regarding the renaming of 50.007.
On the basis that matter can not be destroyed, only changed, the racehorse part of this post is null and void: technically all those dead racehorses still exist, just not in the same form or location! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
On the basis that matter can not be destroyed, only changed, the racehorse part of this post is null and void: technically all those dead racehorses still exist, just not in the same form or location! ;)
So where is Shergar ;)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The GWR had plenty of locos with names of places outside GWR territory.
Raveningham Hall is in Norfolk, Shugborough Hall is near Stafford (close to the WCML), Donnington Hall is in Leicestershire.

LMS Jubilees had eg Bahamas and Kolhapur, neither of which are on the LMS system.
Many of them similarly carried names of Empire colonies/provinces/states (eg in India, Australia, Canada, West Indies, Africa).

Iskra

Established Member
Unless it can time travel back to pre-1974 local government reorganisation, 'The West Riding Limited' can't technically visit the West Riding.

That's the name of the service though, not the train. If that's allowed, then The Sheffield Continental could count.

Jonny

Established Member
91115 is named 'Blaydon Races'

The Blaydon Races end at Blaydon but the start is in Newcastle, in fact pretty near Newcastle Central Station; somewhere that 91115 will have reached often enough under its own power.

Adding a diesel: 43041 kept its “City of Discovery” plates for many years after transfer to the Western. Did they think it was a reference to Plymouth, rather than Dundee?

Was the small coat of arms plate kept, or removed?

xotGD

Established Member
The Blaydon Races end at Blaydon but the start is in Newcastle, in fact pretty near Newcastle Central Station; somewhere that 91115 will have reached often enough under its own power.
Not really. You are referring to the present day athletics event. The original Blaydon Races was a horse racing event held in Blaydon. IIRC, it was necessary to catch a bus from Balmbra's to get there, and the bus was heavy laden.

tsr

Established Member
Is there still the name “Croydon” on a certain 319? Can’t see it going back there any time soon.

(A less spectacular name could not be hoped for...)

EM2

Established Member
Is there still the name “Croydon” on a certain 319? Can’t see it going back there any time soon.

A name that was shared with an SR BoB Light Pacific.
On a similar theme, could we include 34069 'Hawkinge', seeing as that village has never had a station?

sprinterguy

Established Member
43274 - Spirit Of Sunderland
Eh? VTEC HSTs serve Sunderland on a daily basis, Monday to Friday. The name of that power car was unveiled there on the inaugural service in December 2015.

Unless you're referring to "Spirit" as being something intangible, in which case fair enough.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
so based on some of the posts here , a unit or loco should be renamed if it is transfered to another TOC?
And why not? Names should be relevant to the route and duties a loco or unit is employed on, and should preferably follow a consistent theme. GNERs' programme of naming their charges after notable landmarks, attractions and relevant geographical areas was, IMO, a good one.

Though I have no problem with traditional or historical themes, and am inclined to say that they should endure for a longer time period.

Preservation is a different ball game entirely as you are, well, preserving a historic artefact in a previous condition for future posterity.

Last edited:

mpthomson

D234 (later 40034) never went to the capital of Ghana :lol:

However technically it was named after the ocean liner of that name, rather than the city. Which makes no difference to your fundamental point at all, as I'm not convinced that a Class 40 would float!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
47434 was never pulled slowly down John William Street by a truck, festooned with rainbow ribbons and with a scantily-clad male dance troupe on the roof... ;)

sd0733

Established Member

Also the 319s 'cheriton' and 'coquelles' I know they visited once but hardly likely again!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
91115 is named 'Blaydon Races'

The journey to the race starts in Newcastle:

Oh! me lads, ye shud a' seen w'us gannin,
Passin' the folks alang the road just as they were stannin'.
Aal the' lads and lasses there, aal wi' smiling faces,
Gannin' alang the Scotswood Road to see the Blaydon Races.

childwallblues

Established Member
D234 (later 40034) never went to the capital of Ghana :lol:
D234 like most other Class 40s in the range D210 D235 were named after liners that were owned in the main by shipping companies based in Liverpool. Accra and her sisters Apapa and Aureol were owned by Elder Dempster Line of Liverpool who sailed between the UK and West Africa.

essexjohn

Four locos of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway - Calbourne, Freshwater, Newport and Yarmouth.

CC 72100

Established Member
The French name their TGV sets after towns and cities - unfotnately some of these towns aren't even on the main heavy rail network, do no chance of a TGV visit!*

* one for example is named Vincennes - a town on the RATP section of the RER A, just outside Paris.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Hi,

I'm currently on board the Pendolino named City of Bangor - a city that is on the Virgin Trains network but can't be served by a Pendolino for obvious reasons. Got me thinking, how many other pieces of stock fall into this category?

All responses appreciated.

Thanks

I hadn't realised Bangor was a 'city' TBH. Clearly Virgin WC (is it?) follow after the LMS at this game. Apart from all the Commonwealth-Empire Jubilees (which were presumably mentioned tongue-in-cheek, along with Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connaught), several of the LMS pacifics surely never visited their homesake's - City of St Albans and City of Nottingham come to mind. And I think there was a City of Sheffield too. The Stanier pacifics were banned over most of the the former Midland lines - and so had no chance of such visits.

As for the Bulleid West Country pacifics, there are tales of people joining trains because they thought they were going to Yeovil, Barnstaple, Exeter, etc .... all because of the name on the locomotive. I know not if these tales are apocryphal. I don't think Clovelly ever had a station, did it?

DanNCL

Established Member
Although not named (I think), there was a Class 156 that until recently carried a promotional livery for the Settle & Carlisle line. I don't think a 156 has operated the S&C line for several years

Status
Not open for further replies.