Trivia: Passenger trains/locomotives that are named after destinations they don't/can't serve

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Intercity 225, 19 Nov 2017.

1. Strathclyder

Strathclyder Established Member

Apart from the Queen St High Level closure & diversions through Partick & Hyndland last year, I doubt that 170405 'Riverside Museum' got anywhere near it's namesake before it was denamed/re-liveried.

2. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

I rember that one. Can't remember it's number tho...

3. DanNCL

DanNCL Member

I think it might have been 484, which is now in the new livery

4. XCTurbostar

XCTurbostar Member

321334 named Amsterdam..

5. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

That was a feature rather than a bug - no point promoting the S&C to people who are already travelling on it!

6. 12CSVT

12CSVT Established Member

Quite possible that 390042 has been through Bangor while carrying passengers.

Around 2005 - 2006, there was a Euston - Holyhead sevice booked for a 390 unit as far as Crewe, which was then towed as passenger stock by a class 57/3 to Holyhead.

In those days the 57/3 were owned by Virgin for class 390 drags.

7. tranzitjim

tranzitjim Member

Here in my home state of Victoria, we have track gauge conversions getting involved.

Originally, the whole state was all Irish broad. In the 1980s, a fleet of 25x N class locomotives entered service, many with name plates of various cities included in its passenger train network.

Then, a few years ago, they chose to gauge convert one route. Some of the N class locomotives are semi-captive to that route only. They did not choose only the units of which where named after cities along that route did they. More of the cities remain on Irish Broad, while the locomotive with that name is on the Standard gauge route. And yes, there they had more than enough choices, but did not choose the right ones.

8. 43096

43096 Established Member

But the standard gauge locos change over time. When a standard gauge loco goes for overhaul, they often come out on broad gauge bogies while the bogies are overhauled. When the next broad gauge loco goes in, it gets the now overhauled standard gauge bogies and becomes a standard gauge loco.

Exactly this happened when I was down under earlier in the year - there were only 3 standard gauge locos available as one had been overhauled. At the end of my visit, N457 (previously broad gauge) had emerged from works with standard gauge bogies.

9. Wirewiper

Wirewiper Member

Granted the unit would never get there; but it could be used on the direct trains to Harwich International which connect with the ferry to Hoek van Holland (and for which journey through tickets are available to any Dutch Station), which is presumably why it was named so.

10. IanXC

IanXC Emeritus Moderator

The Dales Rail service (Blackpool to Carlisle via Clitheroe and Hellifield) is almost always a 156 - although given the weekly nature of the service and the number of 156s in service it probably has been quite some time since it has been on the S&C!

11. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

...and the 319s named Cheriton and Coquelles (conveying the first regular punters into the Channel Tunnel).

The latter won't get anywhere near its namesake now through lacking TVM-430.