• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Passenger trains/locomotives that are named after destinations they don't/can't serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Apart from the Queen St High Level closure & diversions through Partick & Hyndland last year, I doubt that 170405 'Riverside Museum' got anywhere near it's namesake before it was denamed/re-liveried.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Although not named (I think), there was a Class 156 that until recently carried a promotional livery for the Settle & Carlisle line. I don't think a 156 has operated the S&C line for several years
That was a feature rather than a bug - no point promoting the S&C to people who are already travelling on it!

12CSVT

Established Member
Hi,

I'm currently on board the Pendolino named City of Bangor - a city that is on the Virgin Trains network but can't be served by a Pendolino for obvious reasons. Got me thinking, how many other pieces of stock fall into this category?

All responses appreciated.

Thanks
Quite possible that 390042 has been through Bangor while carrying passengers.

Around 2005 - 2006, there was a Euston - Holyhead sevice booked for a 390 unit as far as Crewe, which was then towed as passenger stock by a class 57/3 to Holyhead.

In those days the 57/3 were owned by Virgin for class 390 drags.

tranzitjim

Here in my home state of Victoria, we have track gauge conversions getting involved.

Originally, the whole state was all Irish broad. In the 1980s, a fleet of 25x N class locomotives entered service, many with name plates of various cities included in its passenger train network.

Then, a few years ago, they chose to gauge convert one route. Some of the N class locomotives are semi-captive to that route only. They did not choose only the units of which where named after cities along that route did they. More of the cities remain on Irish Broad, while the locomotive with that name is on the Standard gauge route. And yes, there they had more than enough choices, but did not choose the right ones.

On Moderation
Here in my home state of Victoria, we have track gauge conversions getting involved.

Originally, the whole state was all Irish broad. In the 1980s, a fleet of 25x N class locomotives entered service, many with name plates of various cities included in its passenger train network.

Then, a few years ago, they chose to gauge convert one route. Some of the N class locomotives are semi-captive to that route only. They did not choose only the units of which where named after cities along that route did they. More of the cities remain on Irish Broad, while the locomotive with that name is on the Standard gauge route. And yes, there they had more than enough choices, but did not choose the right ones.
But the standard gauge locos change over time. When a standard gauge loco goes for overhaul, they often come out on broad gauge bogies while the bogies are overhauled. When the next broad gauge loco goes in, it gets the now overhauled standard gauge bogies and becomes a standard gauge loco.

Exactly this happened when I was down under earlier in the year - there were only 3 standard gauge locos available as one had been overhauled. At the end of my visit, N457 (previously broad gauge) had emerged from works with standard gauge bogies.

Wirewiper

321334 named Amsterdam..

Granted the unit would never get there; but it could be used on the direct trains to Harwich International which connect with the ferry to Hoek van Holland (and for which journey through tickets are available to any Dutch Station), which is presumably why it was named so.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Although not named (I think), there was a Class 156 that until recently carried a promotional livery for the Settle & Carlisle line. I don't think a 156 has operated the S&C line for several years

The Dales Rail service (Blackpool to Carlisle via Clitheroe and Hellifield) is almost always a 156 - although given the weekly nature of the service and the number of 156s in service it probably has been quite some time since it has been on the S&C!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
321334 named Amsterdam..

...and the 319s named Cheriton and Coquelles (conveying the first regular punters into the Channel Tunnel).

The latter won't get anywhere near its namesake now through lacking TVM-430.

Status
Not open for further replies.