• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Place names that you're not sure how to pronounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Seems a bit strange that, or is there a geographical reason behind it?

Almost all of the Wirral have Chester postcodes even though they are classed as Merseyside. I think it's just one of them things . Probably to do with border changes etc over time.

randyrippley

Established Member
Seems a bit strange that, or is there a geographical reason behind it?
Postcodes aren't based on County, but rather on where the post was sorted / distributed from. E.g. half of Cumbria has an LA postcode (Lancaster, not Lancashire), as does parts of North Yorkshire.
It gets really confusing at places like Cowan Bridge in North Yorkshire, where the correct postal address is streetname/Kirkby Lonsdale (not Cowan Bridge)/postcode. Village in Yorkshire, Kirkby Lonsdale is in Cumbria, while the postcode is LA**

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Postcodes aren't based on County, but rather on where the post was sorted / distributed from. E.g. half of Cumbria has an LA postcode (Lancaster, not Lancashire), as does parts of North Yorkshire.
It gets really confusing at places like Cowan Bridge in North Yorkshire, where the correct postal address is streetname/Kirkby Lonsdale (not Cowan Bridge)/postcode. Village in Yorkshire, Kirkby Lonsdale is in Cumbria, while the postcode is LA**

Oh right, so it's based more on sorting centre. That does make a lot of sense really, just never thought about it before.

sw1ller

Established Member
Almost all of the Wirral have Chester postcodes even though they are classed as Merseyside. I think it's just one of them things . Probably to do with border changes etc over time.

Now, don’t quote me on this one, but I remember a big kick off when I was a kid about people from heswall wanting a Cheshire postcode to bump up house prices. I’m almost positive they had an L postcode about 20 years ago.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Now, don’t quote me on this one, but I remember a big kick off when I was a kid about people from heswall wanting a Cheshire postcode to bump up house prices. I’m almost positive they had an L postcode about 20 years ago.

L being?

John Luxton

Established Member

You are correct Wirral did have L (Liverpool) post codes and they were changed for the reasons you suggested. It was quite a local news story at the time.

Steamysandy

Have we had Athelstaneford, West Lothian or Glenzier, Dumfriesshire?
Actually Athelstaneford is in EAST Lothian and is pronounced locally as Elshinford but better still is Aberchirder in Aberdeenshire which is known as Foggy Loan!

Last edited by a moderator:

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Kevin (without the I) Kevn uh be-th (the be is said as the be in "bet" would be said and the th is said like you would say th in "the")

InOban

Established Member
I believe that Ijmuiden, the ferry port is pronounced much like Eyemouth in the Borders, and means the same.

Calthrop

Established Member
How are you supposed to say Laugharne in Carmarthenshire?

Not about pronunciation; but Laugharne -- much-loved dwelling-place for a while, of Dylan Thomas -- is thought to have been the inspiration for the setting of his Under Milk Wood: the village of Llareggub (mildly bawdy backwards-spelling).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not about pronunciation; but Laugharne -- much-loved dwelling-place for a while, of Dylan Thomas -- is thought to have been the inspiration for the setting of his Under Milk Wood: the village of Llareggub (mildly bawdy backwards-spelling).

Ha ha :lol: That's quite good - Llareggub

StoneRoad

Quite a lot of Scottish and Welsh place names get my tongue in a twist the first few times I try to say them ( as for taking them down when I've only heard them ...) I do manage a reasonable version for most of the ones I have a lot of contact with (Llandudno, Pwhelli, Llanelli, Ffestiniog Stations I know well !).
The East Anglian habit of ignoring all but the first and last syllables takes a bit of getting used to, as well.
Northumbrian and Lake District are both areas with trips for the unwary ...

However, one that still grates on my ear is the Tyne Valley announcements including Prudhoe. It is Prud-u (second u a long one, not hoe !)

Status
Not open for further replies.