• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Place names that you're not sure how to pronounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
I’m not sure how to pronounce Mytholmroyd. My guess is how it is spelt? (Mytholm-royd)?

Lucan

Established Member
Not about pronunciation; but Laugharne -- much-loved dwelling-place for a while, of Dylan Thomas -- is thought to have been the inspiration for the setting of his Under Milk Wood.
Not "thought" but definitely was, in combination with New Quay in Wales. Some people in those places recognised themselves in Under Milkwood, and were annoyed.

And right now it is the setting for the BBC TV series thriller "Keeping Faith", although the place name is never mentioned

sarahj

Established Member
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Southern have a new auto guy at Stations, and he has some howlers. Listen at Brighton for his version of Mouslecombe and Southwick. There are others.:lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Southern have a new auto guy at Stations, and he has some howlers. Listen at Brighton for his version of Mouslecombe and Southwick. There are others.:lol:

I've heard a few announcers of the years make a right mess of place names. I've seen a video filmed at Aberdeen in which one can hear the announcer, reading the calling points for the Aberdeen-Penzance, string Par and St Austell together to form "Par Street Aw-stell"! :lol:

jj1314

I've heard a few announcers of the years make a right mess of place names. I've seen a video filmed at Aberdeen in which one can hear the announcer, reading the calling points for the Aberdeen-Penzance, string Par and St Austell together to form "Par Street Aw-stell"! :lol:

That's brilliant. "Snozzle" might blow his mind.

Steamysandy

My favourite was at York many years ago with an announcement for a northbound Aberdeen service which was listed as calling at Kirkcaldy pronounced KirkCaalldy and Leuchars Junction pronounced Looch (as in Choo) ars and the connecting train to Glasgow was calling at Faalkirk!

Parallel

Established Member
I've heard Arriva's Welsh announcer refer to Leuchars as "Loosh-arrs". I guess it is actually said a bit like "Lucas"?

Steamysandy

It's actually pronounced Loochars the CH as in Loch e g Loch Lomond.
A few local ones. Cockenzie is sometimes referred to as Cockinny! I've heard Penmanshiel referred to as Pennyshiel but the prize has to go to a farm near Grantshouse which is spelled Godscroft - pronounced Gowkie !!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That's brilliant. "Snozzle" might blow his mind.

I dread to think what the guy might make of that! I think he also said Liskeard as Liss-kerd (rhyming with heard), I'll need to see if I can find the video again

PeterC

Established Member
I remember the puzzlement by passengers when a Met line driver announced "chess-um". With the flood of incomers after electrification of the Met the "correct" pronunciation is generally forgotten and everybody says "chesh-am" now. In the 1990s I would still be "corrected" by country people when I said "chesh-am"

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I remember the puzzlement by passengers when a Met line driver announced "chess-um". With the flood of incomers after electrification of the Met the "correct" pronunciation is generally forgotten and everybody says "chesh-am" now. In the 1990s I would still be "corrected" by country people when I said "chesh-am"

I was under the impression it was Chezz-um rather than Chess-um.

themiller

It took a while to purchase a ticket from Luzerne to schynige platte when I was in Switzerland a couple of years ago!
Fortunately I had the leaflet with the offer on me so I could show this to the lady in the ticket office. I still didn't get how to properly pronounce it after she then said it!
Schynige Platte is pronounced Shinigger (as in bin) platter!

themiller

Aspatria station used to be called out by the station staff in the very old days according to the class of carriage that the caller was beside at the time. First class was Haspatria', whilst third was 'Spathry'!

AY1975

Established Member
Ibrox subway station in Glasgow (which AFAIK is pronounced "Eye-brox") used to be called Copland Road before the 1977-80 Subway modernisation. Does anyone know whether it was pronounced "Cop-land" or "Cope-land"? The composer Aaron Copland is pronounced "Cope-land".

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ibrox subway station in Glasgow (which AFAIK is pronounced "Eye-brox") used to be called Copland Road before the 1977-80 Subway modernisation. Does anyone know whether it was pronounced "Cop-land" or "Cope-land"? The composer Aaron Copland is pronounced "Cope-land".

Cope (to rhyme with hope)-land. I've never heard any other pronunciation :)

DuncanS

Its Aye-Brox, the Scottish pronunciation. Copeland Road is Cope-Land

Status
Not open for further replies.