• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Places in the UK with a namesake (or similar sounding place name) in mainland Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast

Established Member
I used to spend time in a town called Herford in Germany, which looks and sound quite similar to Hereford in England.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I used to spend time in a town called Herford in Germany, which looks and sound quite similar to Hereford in England.

Off-topic for the thread; but Herford was once the hub of a rather charming metre-gauge electric light railway system (last section closed 1966).

AY1975

Established Member
Or Hertford (which is pronounced "Hartford", though, and there's also Hartford between Crewe and Liverpool).

CW2

Established Member
Peterborough = St Petersburg (Russia)
Troon = Torun (Poland)

PaulMc7

Established Member
The most random one I can think of is the fact there's Blantyre in Scotland, Lanarkshire and then a Blantyre in Malawi

Also Hamilton just along from Blantyre in Scotland and then Hamilton in New Zealand

Calthrop

Established Member
The most random one I can think of is the fact there's Blantyre in Scotland, Lanarkshire and then a Blantyre in Malawi

At the risk of being a "know-all": as I understand it, the Malawi Blantyre is named after the Scottish one: because of the latter's being the birthplace of David Livingstone the explorer and missionary -- who operated in those parts, and has since been a hero to many people thereabouts, of all races.

I'm really surprised that no-one has mentioned Dresden, Stoke-on Trent, and the more well known one in Germany. My daughter once did a Dresden to Dresden band tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.