• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia; platforms on bridges over large rivers/lakes/sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedpan

Established Member
The River Mole about half way down the platform at Hampton Court. Surprised not mentioned already (or have I missed it) as it's quite a big river.

Bedpan

Established Member
I lived in Thames Ditton from 1953 (not that I can remember that far back) till 1989 and used to drive over the Mole and past the station every day for several years, and I only thought o it yesterday!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
According to "London's Lost Rivers" by Tom Bolton, the River Fleet, now the Fleet sewer & no longer visible, runs underneath Kings Cross station. It says the curved front of the Great Northern Hotel follows the line of the former river bank.
The hotel follows the line of the "Hotel Curve" that used to link the Metropolitan Railway with Platform 16 of the GNR station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The hotel follows the line of the "Hotel Curve" that used to link the Metropolitan Railway with Platform 16 of the GNR station.
A commonly held belief, but it actually doesnt.

The Hotel curve passed under the corner of the main west side offices and behind the hotel. It is definitely the culverted River Fleet that defines the position and curvature of the original hotel front entrance (but even then it's the hotel basement level that extends to the Fleet culvert, the ground floor of the hotel is set back a few metres).

Last edited:

Surreyman

Grand Canal Dock in Dublin (Next to Googles HQ in Barrow St) next to the dock and a I think a canal/waterway runs underneath it.
Both Dart and main line trains use it.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Ha!
How many of the above stations can you actually look down over the river, over the platform fence? NB Ryde pier head is an obvious answer - dunno why that didn't immediately spring to mind!
To the extent that there are "No Fishing" signs on the platforms!

Attachments

• 17208635646_35fbac41c0_k.jpg
    17208635646_35fbac41c0_k.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.