• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia; platforms on bridges over large rivers/lakes/sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Blackfriars station, last time I was down that way in September last year. Photos taken from Tate Modern viewing area and the OXO Tower Restaurant. Being fully covered you don't see the platforms from up here, or much of the river from inside the station. There're some nice views from both locations, but the OXO restaurant is best visited in the morning before it opens when you can just walk around while the staff are busy setting up for lunch.

Yep, that’s the first example one thinks of. Thanks for the photos.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A couple of months ago the staircase down from Mirfield's island platform led straight into the Calder... or possibly the Calder & Hebble Navigation, as the two had temporarily merged!

The_Train

Established Member
Do any of the platforms at Cardiff Central stretch out enough to be over the Taff?

I was there for my first visit last year and from memory I don't think they do go that far to be classed as over the river but still offer good views down it

davetheguard

Established Member
According to "London's Lost Rivers" by Tom Bolton, the River Fleet, now the Fleet sewer & no longer visible, runs underneath Kings Cross station. It says the curved front of the Great Northern Hotel follows the line of the former river bank.

The railway that we now call Thameslink, was built along the valley of the River Fleet, and the sewer now runs below Farringdon Road & Farringdon Street passing Farringdon & City Thameslink stations en route. It flows in to the Thames below Blackfriars road bridge.

AM9

Veteran Member
Canary Wharf Crossrail station is actually built in the water of a dock:
crossrail-canary-wharf.jpg

Here you can see that the water surrounds the station complex.
Arch2O-Canary-Wharf-Crossrail-Station-Foster-and-Partners-008.jpg

This cross-section image shows that the station extends through the water into the ground below where the platforms and tracks are.

Established Member
I mean we could go all panto on this but looking at pictures, it does seem that about 50% of the platform is indeed on piles extended seaward of the wall, such that at high tide there is water underneath it.
It doesn't sit above the sea is more the point I was getting at. And it is only a tiny part of the platform around the footbridge that actually extends over the River.

GW43125

Established Member
The platforms in St Enoch were more or less parallel to the river and, although they curved to the south, I don’t think they went far enough to be over it.

I meant the subway station, I’m not old enough to remember the mainline station!

Dr_Paul

Established Member
The vast majority of Portsmouth Harbour is above the water, although you don’t see it so obviously.

I have a vague memory of my being at Portsmouth Harbour station, looking down and seeing the sea beneath the opposite platform. But I may well be remembering things wrongly, as it was in 1959 and I was only four years old at the time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I have a vague memory of my being at Portsmouth Harbour station, looking down and seeing the sea beneath the opposite platform. But I may well be remembering things wrongly, as it was in 1959 and I was only four years old at the time.
That was still the case a couple of years ago. Of course it is all reclaimed land on the Gunwharf (seaward) side now, and the latest rebuilt version of the Hard bus interchange looks fairly solid, so the station “pier” seems a lot more landlocked than it really is.

Last edited:

Altfish

Manchester Victoria. The River Irk passes below parts of the station just before the river joins the River Irwell. The Irwell used to flow under the old Platform 11 Middle, but I think it now just misses the current west end of Manchester Victoria.
Prior to the closure of Exchange Station, the 'longest platform that went between the two stations passed over the River Irwell

vlad

The Lenin Sparrow Hills metro station in Moscow is on a bridge over the river. The bridge is multi-purpose as there's a main road on top of the metro station. Street View image here.

gazr

Yeoford station has the river Yeo underneath it's platforms* (one OOU) towards the Exeter end. There is also a station on the valley lines somewhere that's had it's platform recently extended over a river...can't remember which one.

Quakers Yard

2 in the Rhondda where the river flows under the north parts of the platforms at Ton Pentre and Ystrad Rhondda. Trehafod also has a mini waterfall just behind the down platform.

DelW

Established Member
Dartmouth station had a river between the station and the trains :'(

Veteran Member
The Lenin Sparrow Hills metro station in Moscow is on a bridge over the river. The bridge is multi-purpose as there's a main road on top of the metro station. Street View image here.
If we're going across the Channel, then I think the DB Inselbahn Wangerooge terminus at the ferry terminal may be over water; if so, it's the only one of the East Frisian island railways where that still applies - the line itself floods at very high tides IIRC?
There are no doubt many more on the mainland, but I doubt if any can beat the Wuppertal Schwebebahn :)

Bedpan

Established Member
Blackfriars station, last time I was down that way in September last year. Photos taken from Tate Modern viewing area and the OXO Tower Restaurant. Being fully covered you don't see the platforms from up here, or much of the river from inside the station. There're some nice views from both locations, but the OXO restaurant is best visited in the morning before it opens when you can just walk around while the staff are busy setting up for lunch.

View attachment 76035 View attachment 76036

Great photos! But I'd take issue with the comment that you don't get much of a river view from inside the station. There's a fantastic view of the river from the entire length of the platform and you can look all the way doen the river to Tower Bridge (the one I've attached was taken from further down the platform so Tower Bridge isn't so visible).

As an aside I will always remember reading an article in one of the less respected newspapers tearing into Google Maps, and giving the example of a London railway station being shown as being right in the middle of the River Thames......how stupid is that?, they reported. 20151209_121031.jpg

davetheguard

Established Member
Yeoford station has the river Yeo underneath it's platforms* (one OOU) towards the Exeter end. There is also a station on the valley lines somewhere that's had it's platform recently extended over a river...can't remember which one.

This is a picture of Yeoford station showing the Yeo river bridge as part of the platforms. The picture is taken looking towards Barnstaple; although it looks like double track, it is operated as two single lines: Barnstaple/Crediton (-Exeter) on the right; Okehampton/Crediton on the left with the platform out of use and steps down from overbridge removed.

Attachments

• DSC08194.JPG
    DSC08194.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

GLC

Looking at the satellite map for Glasgow Central it also has a sliver of one platform (10 or 11 I think) which is over the Clyde

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.58.41.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.58.41.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42

janahan

Feltham Station in West London also has the Longford River running underneath its platforms (not a major river mind you). Although you cannot see it between the tracks (there is a concrete cover) you can definately see it peering over the fence on the platforms and around the station. See the sattelite view from google here: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4478122,-0.4101677,151m/data=!3m1!1e3
and a flickr page here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/25659638@N08/35246304425/

However, the most interesting is Sloane Square on the London Underground District Line, which has the river Westbourne running in a conduit ABOVE the platforms. See Wikipedia entry, together with a photo here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Westbourne

EDIT: changed Feltham location from Middlesex to West London, which is the "correct" location, even though us residents here still use Middlesex as our county in our address. And other spelling mistakes

Last edited:

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Slightly different, but Sloane Square tube station has the River Westbourne flowing over it enclosed within an iron bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.