• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Prototype Liveries Never Worn By Production Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomotron

The Hitachi IEP had a livery of white with a light blue skirt and yellow doors, which was never worn by the actual trains, being in white with grey doors and the TOC liveries.

Another one is that a mock-up for a Class 395 was in Southeastern's white with yellow doors livery!

Talking about this livery, does anyone know what the interior of the mock-up was like - like what was the moquette?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

co-tr-paul

Prototype new GWR green was actually brown. Tried it out on first refurbished sleeper day coach but the nickname " poo tube " started to become popular when first artists impressions of IETs were done so that was that ! May be a photo of 12142 still on wnxx.

pdeaves

Established Member
Prototype HST springs to mind.
APT-E livery wasn't carried by APT-P.
APT-P livery wasn't carried on production units by virtue of there not being any production units!

Edit: typo corrected; APT not APR!

Last edited:

bastien

The Eurostar class 374 mock-up livery looked completely different (and better if you ask me, the real livery looks kinda clunky, like it's for a different train).

Last edited:

atomicdanny

Another one is that a mock-up for a Class 395 was in Southeastern's white with yellow doors livery!

Talking about this livery, does anyone know what the interior of the mock-up was like - like what was the moquette?

I do wonder though if the Southeastern kept the white if it would have been something like this? (I did a reskin for the Southeastern Javelin in Train Simulator for the fun of it ages ago :) )

whitejavelin.jpg

gazthomas

Established Member
Prototype HST springs to mind.
APT-E livery wasn't carried by APT-P.
APR-P livery wasn't carried on production units by virtue of there not being any production units!
The prototype HST and APT-E livery was similar to the final livery carried by the Blue Pullmans

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
If you regard the class 140 as being the prototype for the pacer family as whole it would qualify given that it was only member of classes 140-144 to carry blue/grey livery.

Likewise the prototype PEP units were painted all over rail blue but the production versions of the same family (313, 314, 315, 507, 508) all originally entered service in blue/grey.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If you regard the class 140 as being the prototype for the pacer family as whole it would qualify given that it was only member of classes 140-144 to carry blue/grey livery.

Likewise the prototype PEP units were painted all over rail blue but the production versions of the same family (313, 314, 315, 507, 508) all originally entered service in blue/grey.
Apart from the first few 141s which were delivered in a variant of blue/grey (the blue was actually Barrow Corporation blue) before being repainted into the Verona green/cream WYPTE colours.

gg1

Established Member
Apart from the first few 141s which were delivered in a variant of blue/grey (the blue was actually Barrow Corporation blue) before being repainted into the Verona green/cream WYPTE colours.

Interesting, I didn't know that, always thought the 140 was the only 2nd gen DMU to carry blue & grey.

delt1c

Established Member

One 2PEP ran in unpainted condition

Doomotron

Prototype new GWR green was actually brown. Tried it out on first refurbished sleeper day coach but the nickname " poo tube " started to become popular when first artists impressions of IETs were done so that was that ! May be a photo of 12142 still on wnxx.
Can I see?
The Eurostar class 374 mock-up livery looked completely different (and better if you ask me, the real livery looks kinda clunky, like it's for a different train).
I think the new livery works better on the 373s than on the 374s! I do like the mock-up livery, although it did look a bit ICE. The new livery is unique. (Well, unless you're squinting and you see a TGV or a Javelin)
I do wonder though if the Southeastern kept the white if it would have been something like this? (I did a reskin for the Southeastern Javelin in Train Simulator for the fun of it ages ago :) )

View attachment 60464
I think the white/yellow livery wasn't bad but it did look dated when the white/lilac livery came along and even worse when the Electrostars were refurbished. Still, it would be interesting to see although it would get dirty very quickly.

Actually since the new Electrostar livery was introduced I think the Javelin livery is bland. If Govia wins the next franchise I think they should make a nice livery (probably dark blue with light blue doors like on the Electrostars) or even do a Stagecoach and make 3 different ones.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Sprinter prototypes 150001/150002.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member

One of the PEPs was also later repainted in what turned out to be an odd mash-up of NSE and InterCity liveries.

Nymanic

Not quite a prototype, but the first few Class 185s were delivered in First Group's 'barbie' livery, and were often seen in test in those colours.

None of these examples entered passenger service before they were re-vinyled. Some units may have still been wearing the old livery at the time passenger services began, but they never carried the travelling public.

bastien

The first couple of re-engined HSTs had the First Great Western 'dynamic lines' actually on the power car. Also there was a colour grade from dark to light blue up the side, which didn't make it into the 'production' livery on the HSTs.

On Moderation
The first couple of re-engined HSTs had the First Great Western 'dynamic lines' actually on the power car. Also there was a colour grade from dark to light blue up the side, which didn't make it into the 'production' livery on the HSTs.
They (43004/009) initially carried standard Barbie when released from Brush, but got the prototype ‘dynamic lines’ (which I think was more purple at the bottom?) for the new franchise launch. Three trailers got the same treatment.

whhistle

On Moderation
The first couple of re-engined HSTs had the First Great Western 'dynamic lines' actually on the power car.
43009-2006-04-08-@SWI.jpg

Not quite a prototype, but the first few Class 185s were delivered in First Group's 'barbie' livery, and were often seen in test in those colours.
185107%20leaving%20York1%2025-5-06.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.