• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway infrastructure/buildings that were never used for their intended purpose (if at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMac

Inspired by the thread on platforms that were built but never used, I'll get the ball rolling with a few:

1) The replacement Maryhill Park Junction Signal Box. The original burnt down in the early 80s (the circumstances are a whole other story), and the relevant design was completed, including construction of a replacement box. The decision was then taken to not reopen the "inner and Outer Circle" lines towards Anniesland. The box was subsequently used for a garden centre and latterly a lawyer's office.

2) G&SW Singling - in the mid 1980s, relay rooms were built at Mauchline, Kirkconnel, New Cumnock, Thornhill and Holywood, troughs and cable were installed. Then the job was cancelled. The relay room at Thornhill became a new depot for the local track maintenance folks, but nothing was done with the others to my knowledge, and they are still standing.

3) Stafford - I believe that a power signal box was built for the 1960s electrification, but the money ran out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

keith1879

On a small scale (2 foot gauge).....Tan Y Bwlch signal box......followed a few years later by Tan Y Grisiau signal box (OK it houses a token machine but is on a rather grand scale for that). I was slightly amazed when Porthmadog Harbour signal box was actually put into service as I just assumed that it would follow earlier precedent.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The classic one is Tadcaster Viaduct - built for a main line from Leeds to York which was never built. At least it saw trains though, as someone laid a siding over it !

topydre

Llangurig branch line and various portals etc between there and Strata Florida Junction (lol)

Could I nominate the Bletchely Flyover as well? Even when East West Rail finally begins, it will effectively use a new structure!

6Gman

Established Member
Llangurig branch line and various portals etc between there and Strata Florida Junction (lol)

Could I nominate the Bletchely Flyover as well? Even when East West Rail finally begins, it will effectively use a new structure!

But the Bletchley Flyover was used wasn't it? Though not to the extent planned.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The concrete lamposts at Lydd on Sea and Greatstone on Sea stations never received their electric lamps.

etr221

Parts of the LPTB Northern Line Northern Heights extension - connections at Finsbury Park; electrification thence to Alexandra Palace; doubling and electrification Finchley Central to Edgware, new line thence to Beuhey Heath, with depot never used for railway purposes. All half done...

Ouse Valley Railway, from Balcombe via Uckfield to St Leonards, work began 1864, abandoned 1869.

LCDR spur from Kent House to line to Birkbeck, etc. Built, but never I think used.

Parts of the Manchester and Milford Railway

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s not a completely new structure though, it will still involve about 50% of the existing supports and decks. As explained in detail in drawings posted in the main EWR thread, so no need to repeat...

keith1879

The classic one is Tadcaster Viaduct - built for a main line from Leeds to York which was never built. At least it saw trains though, as someone laid a siding over it !
This is the winner for me! Less remarkable but again on a smaller 2 foot gauge how about the various bits and pieces of bridge/embankment and cutting around Beddgelert built in 1906, never used and bypassed completely when the welsh Highland Railway opened in 1923.

SargeNpton

Established Member
"6Gman said:
But the Bletchley Flyover was used wasn't it? Though not to the extent planned.
My mistake. It appears to have carried E-W traffic for about 9 years (1959-68). Sorry! "

The Bletchley flyover was used well into the 1980s for freight and/or parcels traffic. Even for the occasional special train (I went over it on two occasions on charters).

Helvellyn

Established Member
Embankment work was carried out South of Chessington South station to facilitate the original plan of the branch actually being a through route to Leatherhead.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

It was used for years for freight! Ok not at the level expected but it was used until i think the 90's ( and remained live until the e-w started)

Mikey C

Established Member
Parts of the LPTB Northern Line Northern Heights extension - connections at Finsbury Park; electrification thence to Alexandra Palace; doubling and electrification Finchley Central to Edgware, new line thence to Beuhey Heath, with depot never used for railway purposes. All half done...
Highgate high level station still looks as if services could stop there in a few months time!

Spartacus

Established Member
Midland branch to Dewsbury, intended to be the main line to Scotland via the S&C and Bradford, resulted in being a heavily engineered, with viaducts, tunnels, and at least one flying junction, freight only branch to Dewsbury, and for much of it’s life one track was used to store wagons.
Incidentally the rather impressive goods shed on still stands on Cannon Way.

D6975

Established Member
Dartmouth railway station. Never used as a station due to the refusal of permission to build the railway down the west bank of the Dart. It did however get used as a ticket office for many years.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
On a similar subject, I read that the centre platforms at East Finchley were built to serve the Northern Heights, but never used as theline never opened. They lead to a depot.
Never used for the intended full conversion to a tube line, but from what I can glean from “disused stations” they would have been used by the LNER for a short period early in WW2. When the Northern line got to East Finchley in July 39 then the existing steam service was initially cut back to East Finchley, presumably it must have used one or both of the centre platforms? Then just a couple of years later, so around 1942, the rail service was concentrated on Alexandra Palace.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Never used for the intended full conversion to a tube line, but from what I can glean from “disused stations” they would have been used by the LNER for a short period early in WW2. When the Northern line got to East Finchley in July 39 then the existing steam service was initially cut back to East Finchley, presumably it must have used one or both of the centre platforms? Then just a couple of years later, so around 1942, the rail service was concentrated on Alexandra Palace.

Ah, so one might have stepped down from a train to one of those platforms.

They must surely be a railtour option !

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Did the old Motor-rail ramp at Wakefield Westgate (the multi-storey station car park is now on the site) ever get much use? It was sat unused for as long as I can remember, and can't imagine Wakefield being a huge draw for motor-rail.

najaB

Veteran Member
Weren't there embankments built for a flying junction at Greenhill that never materialised due to WW2 intervening or did I imagine reading that?

MadMac

Another one that just sprang to mind is the secure Eurostar depot at Polmadie. An absolute fortune spent and not one train of the type it was meant for went there.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another one that just sprang to mind is the secure Eurostar depot at Polmadie. An absolute fortune spent and not one train of the type it was meant for went there.

And the similar facility at Manchester (Longsight). The sign "Le Eurostar Habit Ici" that was painted on the side of the depot was nothing short of an embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.