• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Railway Station Nests and other Wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
A few years ago I regularly saw a pair of blue tits nesting inside a lamp/sign post on the up platform at Warwick Parkway. As the neatly cut hole in the post was the perfect size for them I did wonder if it was a deliberate feature intended specifically as a nest box.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Quite often saw rabbits just north of Freshford coming in and out of the greenery before lockdown.

Cambrian Lad

Been a Swallow nesting on the up platform station at Machynlleth for years & of course the closest view most people get of an Osprey 6 minutes travel west.

6Gman

Established Member
Been a Swallow nesting on the up platform station at Machynlleth for years & of course the closest view most people get of an Osprey 6 minutes travel west.

Once saw swallows nesting in the downside shelter at Gaerwen.

Mind you, it was over 50 years ago ! :D

Cletus

Established Member
A fox disobeying signs to keep off the track in York station. :lol:

A FOX has been caught on camera trotting through York train station.

LNER posted the footage - nicknaming their CCTV camera the 'foxcam'.

A spokesman for LNER said the fox was spotted at about 11pm on Monday.

The animal can be seen scampering through the concourse from the bottom of the main stairs towards the short stay car park.
And some people on social media raised concerns about the mother goose - which has laid her eggs in one of the flower beds in the station.
Luckily the LNER spokesman confirmed that the latest update from the station team is that mother goose is safe and well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ianigsy

Wasn’t there something about those having been “planted” by a member of station staff to get news coverage of the station and branch?

Yes, they were featured on a BBC wildlife documentary on scorpions about 35 years ago.

Hamilton Square had peregrine Falcons nesting on the tower a few years back.

Hamilton Square had peregrine Falcons nesting on the tower a few years back.

Yes, I remember a happy couple of hours in Gallagher's beer garden in July 2011, enjoying the sun, a couple of pints of Trappers and watching flying lessons for the youngsters, who were causing panic amongst the pigeon population of the Town Hall tower.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
We have a family of foxes , including cubs , who have burrowed under the (preserved) signal box at St Albans South.

Obviously much quieter human wise , so they have moved in. Advised they will move on eventually.

Whisky Papa

In the spring of 2014, my wife and I watched a fox walk up the ramp and onto the opposite platform at a station in an outer south-eastern suburb of London, which I will choose not to identify. A member of staff had gone into what appeared to be a store-room on that platform and left the door open, and the fox trotted to the threshold of the door and then sat looking in, just as a dog might. The staff member came back to the doorway, and said "Oi, you've already been fed today, clear orrff!" at which point the fox did indeed slink away back down the ramp, leaving us completely gobsmacked.

KieronQuinn

In the spring of 2014, my wife and I watched a fox walk up the ramp and onto the opposite platform at a station in an outer south-eastern suburb of London, which I will choose not to identify. A member of staff had gone into what appeared to be a store-room on that platform and left the door open, and the fox trotted to the threshold of the door and then sat looking in, just as a dog might. The staff member came back to the doorway, and said "Oi, you've already been fed today, clear orrff!" at which point the fox did indeed slink away back down the ramp, leaving us completely gobsmacked.

Sounds like that station has a pet fox, and is part way to domesticating it fully!

och aye

You sometimes see some interesting wildlife getting on the last trains out of Glasgow Central on Friday and Saturday night!

83G/84D

Established Member
Seen a wood pigeon taking nest material in a bush out of my window at work today. Foxes fairly regular as well as plenty of species of birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.