• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Railway Station Nests and other Wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

leytongabriel

The BBC has reported a goose nested and laid an egg in an eerily quiet York station last weekend. Any other reports of birds and beasts coming in and making themselves at home? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-52355561
A flower bed in an unusually tranquil railway station appeared to be the perfect spot for a goose in need of a nest.

British Transport Police (BTP) officers spotted the bird and egg inside the entrance of York station on Sunday.

However, station staff said on Monday there was no sign of the goose or egg.

The station usually attracts thousands of travellers and commuters every day, but is now extremely quiet due to government restrictions on travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
There are a number of station cats now, Felix of Huddersfield starting a trend.

Network rail also have birds of prey for moving-on pigeons.

randyrippley

Established Member
A few years back Grange-over-Sands had problems with a pair of seagulls nesting on the entrance canopy and attacking anyone entering the station. Not pleasant - one managed to draw blood on my head

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just after Christmas in 1979 there were several camels wandering around Cardiff Central station in the space between Platform 7 and the old Riverside platforms. We were on our way home from the Isle of Wight and there had been very heavy prolonged rain and the River Taff had burst it's banks resulting in heavy flooding. At the time there was a circus in Sophia Gardens on the banks of the Taff and a group of camels fled the scene and finished up via the streets at Cardiff Central.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member

Penmorfa

There were goldfish is the water tank at the end of the platform at Battersby, bur this was some years ago. Goats are often seen at Tan Y Bwlch on the Ffestiniog.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There used to be a group of goats that visited Gainsborough Lea Road station and the tracks near there. Heard rumours of a pig being seen as well. Kept nearby to the station but insecurely - not seen any of them for a long time.

Cleethorpes station had a fairly bold fox, and I’ve seen another on and off at Grimsby Town early in the mornings.

arb

There was a dove nest, with chicks, in Ely station last year. It was in the rafters of the canopy over platform 2, outside the waiting room, which is not one of the quieter parts of the station! It always amazed me how many people seemed completely oblivious to its presence.

Calthrop

Established Member
Not a station, but the goats have come down off the Great Orne and taken over the streets of Llandudno

About domestic rather than wild, "life"; but I've heard of -- decades ago, when Blaenau Ffestiniog was more of a forsaken "ghost town" than is now the case -- sheep freely roaming around the streets of said town, foraging out of dustbins, and such: reckoned by visitors, to be "wherever" on the general charming-to-squalid scale... Blaenau now-as-opposed-to-then, tidied-up and chi-chi-ised, and free-range sheep no longer a feature.

Again in times past, lower down on the Ffestiniog Railway's route: a smallholding set thereon, had a small herd of goats; which tended to wander around the adjoining stretch of FR track as though it were their own domain -- bods doing permanent-way maintenance, were sometimes held to ransom by these beasts: come up with food or be butted, or sometimes both anyway...

RichT54

While waiting at Norden station a few years ago, I saw a couple of deer wander onto the line just beyond the disused overbridge. They had to scarper quickly as the first train of the day from Swanage suddenly came steaming into the station.

Lemmy99uk

A contractor installing the Harrington hump at Braystones was bitten by an adder.

InOban

Established Member
There a quite a few ducks in Oban station. Not surprising since the staff feed them.

abn444

I saw a birds nest at London Road (Guildford) station last July, there was a young one in there as well.
IMG_20190704_171958215_HDR.jpg

Gathursty

Established Member
I fondly remember driving to Kinbrace at 2am one Summer morning years ago and seeing deer, rabbits, squirrels and some ducks just outside the station probably outnumbering the population of that village.

Hindley station's peacock is Not there anymore.
Pemberton had a peasant on the platform last week during my daily walk.

ess

Plenty of pigeons cr@pping on passengers at Hayes & Harlington. It really needs a wire mesh in the canopy

6Gman

Established Member
I'm assuming the OP was looking for examples of wildlife taking advantage of the current lockdown, but since we seem to be casting the net wider . . .

Gulls nest on lots of station roofs - e.g. Rhyl.

As previously mentioned nests on OHLE structures are not unusual. There was a crow on the gantry at the southern throat of Basford Hall a few years ago.

Some years ago a pair of Kestrel nested at the tunnel portal of the Manchester Independent line below Nantwich Road at Crewe. A reasonably quiet location. Little did they know that the station was closing that summer for remodelling - it turned out a lot busier !

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Foxes are a very common sight on and around the railway. These two were at Woodgrange Park in Barking on 7th October 2019.

Attachments

• Oct 2019 011.JPG
    Oct 2019 011.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 49

Romsey

Many years ago on night duty at Southampton, it wasn't unusual for a Tawny Owl to fly along the Up Main platform. Nowadays you may well see ring necked parakeets which seem to have moved into Southampton from South West London.

Country signal boxes were and still are superb bird watching hides. Exminster was good, I think it became an RSPB hide for some years after closure. Dean Hill gave a superb view of buzzards thermalling over the military base at a time that buzzards were still rare in Hampshire. Arnside must have a superb view across the estuary and all the wildfowl in the winter.

Foxes have already been mentioned, there used to be a large earth in Clapham Cutting, roughly level with signal W120. They used to commute into the station and shopping area at night walking along the track. There was also an earth under Chessington South Sub station and the families used to patrol the station in the evening looking for food dropped by passengers returning from the zoo.

Esker-pades

Established Member
There was a small nest in a corner of the shelter roof at Sandplace (Looe Valley Line) a couple of summers ago. It was quite fun watching the parents flit around getting food.

Attachments

• IMG_20180816_084904.jpg
    IMG_20180816_084904.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 22

webbfan

Just after Christmas in 1979 there were several camels wandering around Cardiff Central station in the space between Platform 7 and the old Riverside platforms. We were on our way home from the Isle of Wight and there had been very heavy prolonged rain and the River Taff had burst it's banks resulting in heavy flooding. At the time there was a circus in Sophia Gardens on the banks of the Taff and a group of camels fled the scene and finished up via the streets at Cardiff Central.

Whisky Papa

I've seen a stork's nest on an overhead line support near Rotterdam.

On a birdwatching trip to southern Spain a few years ago, the minibus pulled up alongside a small freight yard north of San Roque so we could see the storks nesting on every lighting tower - there were at least twenty nests, I think.

The White Stork is currently being reintroduced to England as a breeding bird. Perhaps we will need a new delay category in a few years :D?

Status
Not open for further replies.