• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway Stations in two different counties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some people may be aware Dean railway station (between Salisbury and Mottisfont & Dunbridge) is located in both Hampshire and Wiltshire. The county border goes roughly halfway down the platforms. So both platform 1 and platform 2 are both in two different counties. The trains normally stop on the border on the platforms in both counties so you will board or alight in either Hampshire or Wiltshire depending on which carriage that you are in.

I have attached a diagram from the NRE where i have drawn a line (the red line) at the position of the county border with "W" being Wiltshire and "H" being Hampshire.

So i am just wondering does anyone know are there any other railway stations in the UK that are in two different counties just like Dean is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-16-11-15-03~2.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-16-11-15-03~2.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 120
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not quite the same thing but another anomaly. Knighton town and Knighton station are in two different COUNTRIES

Not quite the same thing but another anomaly. Knighton town and Knighton station are in two different COUNTRIES

Thanks for the info. Wasnt aware of that. Although England and Wales are the same country (United Kingdom). I dont think that they are two seperate countries.

Not quite counties, but boroughs. Longbenton on the Tyne & Wear Metro. One platform is now in North Tyneside Borough Council the other Newcastle City Council wth the boundary running length ways along the 6 foot. When the station was first built in 1947 [the last one to be built by the LNER] it was all in the County Borough of Newcastle upon Tyne. It was built for the staff [and locals living there] of the then new Ministry of Pensions complex.

Last edited:

mp01

Not quite the same, but Energlyn and Churchill Park near Caerphilly has one platform in the Energlyn suburb and one in Churchill Park.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's history now, of course, but Manchester Exchange was actually in Salford.
The entrance to it was, however, from the south side of the Irwell in Manchester.

damo44

I believe the West Midlands/Warwickshire county boundary cuts across both platforms at Earlswood station

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As discussed elsewhere on the forum, the Derbyshire-Nottinghamshire border runs through the new Ilkeston station.

6Gman

Established Member
Menai Bridge (the station) was not only in a different county from Menai Bridge (the place) but it was also on a different land mass!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Wales has it's own football team (fantastic), Rugby team and other sports and also it's own language which has equal status with English.

Thank you for all of your replies.

So it seems like so far there is:

• Dean (in both Hampshire and Wiltshire).
• Earlswood (in both Warwickshire and West Midlands).
• Ilkeston (in both Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire).

Other than that the closest i can find is:

• Ashurst (entirely in Kent but less than 60 seconds walk from East Sussex).
• Fishersgate (entirely in West Sussex but less than 60 seconds walk from East Sussex).
• Shippea Hill (entirely in Cambridgeshire but less than 60 seconds walk from Suffolk).

I will keep looking to see if i can find any more railway stations that are in two different counties other than the current three (Dean / Earlswood / Ilkeston).

I have always thought that England / Wales / Scotland / Northern Ireland were more like states or provinces rather than countries. For example when you look on world maps or an atlas or a list of countries it normally just shows the UK. I dont see how you can have a country within a country.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
England and Wales are a single Kingdom with a single legal system, so it depends on what you mean by 'country'.

Legal system yes, but not everything. NHS, Education and others plus more responsibilities on the way are managed by Wales. The United Kingdom is not a country but is composed of a group of countries.

najaB

Veteran Member
The United Kingdom comprises four countries Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England; that is not open to argument.
Again, it depends on your precise definition of 'country'. Wales was annexed by England. The Laws in Wales Acts states "That his said Country or Dominion of Wales shall be, stand and continue for ever from henceforth incorporated, united and annexed to and with this his Realm of England;"

This is in contrast to Scotland where the 1707 Acts of Union name the two kingdoms - England and Scotland - and state that the two countries continue to exist as separate entities with separate legal systems, etc.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It would appear that posters who deny that Wales is a country live nowhere near Wales so I question their position to be able to claim that it isn't. Also, there is a claim that Scotland is a country because it has it's own legal system should bear in mind that it had to have a referendum to decide whether to go independent or not.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Again, it depends on your precise definition of 'country'. Wales was annexed by England. The Laws in Wales Acts states "That his said Country or Dominion of Wales shall be, stand and continue for ever from henceforth incorporated, united and annexed to and with this his Realm of England;"

This is in contrast to Scotland where the 1707 Acts of Union name the two kingdoms - England and Scotland - and state that the two countries continue to exist as separate entities with separate legal systems, etc.

Stop wriggling, you're wrong.

11. Is Wales a Country or a Principality?

Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right.

http://www.wales.com/about-wales/frequently-asked-questions#Question_11

tbtc

Veteran Member
The United Kingdom comprises four countries Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England; that is not open to argument

It would appear that posters who deny that Wales is a country live nowhere near Wales so I question their position to be able to claim that it isn't

..."and by country we mean a sovereign state and a member of the U.N in its own right"... ;)

Getting back on topic, I can't think of any locally here (before anyone questions my ability to read a map of somewhere I don't live).

There are a few examples where a railway line is the boundary between parliamentary constituencies (which makes a lot of sense, since it's simpler to keep a boundary somewhere away from people's houses etc.

The MML divides Sheffield Heeley (Louise Haigh, Labour) and Sheffield Hallam (Nick Clegg, Lib Dems), but since there is only one platform at Dore & Totley at the moment, the station is wholly within Hallam. Were they ever to open platforms on the line towards Chesterfield then presumably Platform Four would be in Heeley.

I think that Mexborough is wholly in Doncaster but the Rotherham boundary is at the western end of the platform. Closest I can find (and, yes, that's different districts within South Yorkshire, rather than entirely separate counties).

(I appreciate that that's not "different counties" - it's just the closest local example I can think of)

pdeaves

Established Member
Venn Cross on the former Taunton-Barnstaple Victoria Road branch had one end in Somerset and the other in Devon.

At Tidworth, it was said that a passenger standing at the booking office in Hampshire had their ticket issued by a clerk in Wiltshire.

najaB

Veteran Member
It would appear that posters who deny that Wales is a country live nowhere near Wales so I question their position to be able to claim that it isn't.
Proximity has nothing to do with it, and it is a weak argument to suggest that it does. As I've said several times, it depends on what you mean by 'country'.

I'll point out that there are those who say that Cornwall is a country.

randyrippley

Established Member
Yeovil has one station in Somerset (Pen Mill) and one in Dorset (Junction). In both cases the county boundary is the nearby river or stream - in the case of Junction you actually cross the boundary Stoford stream on the approach road. If the river shifted a couple of hundred yards at either station things would change

DaleCooper

Established Member
Proximity has nothing to do with it, and it is a weak argument to suggest that it does. As I've said several times, it depends on what you mean by 'country'.

I'll point out that there are those who say that Cornwall is a country.

Oh for goodness sake just be big enough to admit you're wrong, I could respect that.

topydre

Not precisely situated on the border, but Dyfi Junction is more or less at the junction of 3 counties (Montgomeryshire, Ceredigion, Meirionydd)

johnnychips

Established Member
Oh for goodness sake just be big enough to admit you're wrong, I could respect that.

He isn't. Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland are 'countries' within the country of the United Kingdom; in the same way as Texas and Alaska etc. are states of the USA with different laws. Historical exemptions to football and rugby tournaments do not remove this basic fact.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Technically, Texas is a republic. Not all 50 are actually states in the legislation, although Wikipedia will tell otherwise, like for England it uses "Ceremonial Counties" for every single location in England, yet if you read the actual Lieutencies Act which is their alledged source that term doesn't appear once.

Stamford might be on a border or very close anyway.

thenorthern

Established Member
To clear up the situation with England and Wales both England and Wales are constituent countries of the United Kingdom and have the subdivision status of a "Country" (Scotland and Northern Ireland are also both constituent countries and Scotland has the subdivision status of a Country while Northern Ireland is a Province). England and Wales however make up a single jurisdiction within the United Kingdom along with Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Regarding Knighton though the station is in Shropshire while the town is in Powys. I think Strines station is on the border of the two counties as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.