• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway Stations in two different counties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'd be very grateful if we could stay on topic in this thread. Feel free to start another thread in general Discussion if anyone wants to discuss the constitutional make up of the UK. Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chappers

Another one for the close-to-another-county list; Roydon in Essex. The County boundary is the River, which runs immediately adjacent to the station. Therefore the village is in Essex and less than 30s walk from the Station which is in Herts

adc82140

Established Member
Is Blackwater in Hampshire and Surrey? I know the adjacent roundabout is in 3 counties (Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire) but I'm not entirely certain where the border lies.

thenorthern

Established Member
The old Gretna station I think was either on the border or close to it between England and Scotland or Cumbria and Dumfriesshire.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
England and Wales are a single Kingdom with a single legal system, so it depends on what you mean by 'country'.

Wales is only perceived a country to people who live in the UK. It satisfies no other definition of "country" in any respect.

The same goes for England Scotland and NI.

najaB

Veteran Member
Oh for goodness sake just be big enough to admit you're wrong, I could respect that.
As I've said from the beginning, it depends on what definition of 'country' you are using. The point I've consistently been making is that for many purposes it is, but for some it is not.

I bring up Cornwall not to belittle Wales in any way but to emphasise the point that, absent a commonly agreed definition, neither of us can say the other is wrong. Cornish nationalists aren't wrong either: by their definition Cornwall is a country, though I (and I suspect you) would disagree with them (and perhaps view them as a bit 'loopy').
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The old Gretna station I think was either on the border or close to it between England and Scotland or Cumbria and Dumfriesshire.
I had a look at this one, seems like it was in England - that can't be common, having the station and the town it serves in different countries.

Thanks for all your help.

So far these stations are in two counties:

• Dean
• Earlswood
• Ilkeston
• Strines

While these station are less than 60 seconds walk from the county border:

• Ashurst
• Blackwater
• Farnborough North
• Fishersgate
• North Camp
• Roydon
• Shippea Hill
• Stamford

Its quite hard to check different stations though as i only have some A to Z maps and Ordanance Survey maps and Google maps doesnt show county borders. Does anyone know of any websites or maps online that show county borders?

thenorthern

Established Member
To keep to the topic in hand can we ignore the constituent country level subdivision of the United Kingdom and just use counties regardless of which country they are in.

East Midlands Parkway touches the border although the station itself is fully in Nottinghamshire.

I think as well Birley Lane and White Lane on the Sheffield Supertram are close to the Derbyshire Border and may be on it.

bnm

Established Member
Yeovil has one station in Somerset (Pen Mill) and one in Dorset (Junction). In both cases the county boundary is the nearby river or stream - in the case of Junction you actually cross the boundary Stoford stream on the approach road. If the river shifted a couple of hundred yards at either station things would change

Both stations serving Yeovil are wholly in Somerset. The border near Yeovil Junction was moved slightly in 1991 leaving the station wholly in Somerset.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1991/286/made

bnm

Established Member
Does anyone know of any websites or maps online that show county borders?

Google Earth on PC/Mac will show County boundaries if you select the 'Borders' check box.

Here's a Google Earth screengrab of Yeovil Junction station showing the nearby Somerset/Dorset boundary. The green line is the current boundary. Somerset to the north and west. Dorset to the south east. I've added a rough line of where the boundary was prior to 1991, with the hatched area showing the land that moved from Dorset to Somerset. Including the whole of Yeovil Junction and it's environs.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/bnm/somdor_zps2likrluw.jpg

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
How about Hamstead in my original area of the West Midlands?

Until 1974, Hamstead village (where the present day railway station is located) was a part of Great Barr Urban District Council (in Warwickshire - now in the present day Birmingham City Council). The other part of Great Barr was Great Barr Parish Council, which was in Staffordshire (now in the present day Sandwell MBC).

I might have got both the Urban District and Parish Council parts mixed up, however, the point I've illustrated is a railway station that either straddled or was close to a county border.

damo44

Does anyone know of any websites or maps online that show county borders?

OS 1:25K and 1:50K DO show county boundaries On 1:25K it's a line made up of dots and long dashes. It's the same on 1:50K maps but it shares this symbol with unitary authorities, metropolitan districts etc. Nevertheless it's much easier to see them on the 1:50K than the more detailed 1:25K

For many years I've regarded Bing maps as the best all round mapping site with aerial/birds-eye and both of the aforementioned OS scales. For example looking at Blackwater you will see the dot/dash lines of the 3 counties come together slightly east of the station

http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&cp=51.332843~-0.77962&lvl=14&style=s&v=2&sV=1&form=S00027

swtandgw

Although not strictly speaking the same as being between two boundaries, Ashford (Middlesex/Surrey) lies within both the historical county of Middlesex and the modern-day Spelthorne Borough of the post-1965 administrative county of Surrey.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Speaking in electorial ward terms in similar par to Dean on the Wiltshire / Hampshire border. Brighouse straddles both Brighouse and Rastrick electorial wards and that to access platform 2 one must enter Rastrick in order to board a train at Brighouse as the ward boundary runs through the middle of the A641 overbridge to where the River Calder is.

There is also Wivelsfield, the village is in East Sussex but yet the railway station is in West Sussex.

Shireoaks is about a quarter of a mile from the boundary of South Yorkshire, however both the settlement and station are in Nottinghamshire. Just a shame that the platform ends weren't just in SY even if it was only an inch as that too could have been regarded as a station in two counties.

Also just to throw the spanner in the works - what about Darton? A station that both WYCA and SYPTE claim that's there's.

thenorthern

Established Member
The now closed Wedgewood station was on the border of Staffordshire County Council and Stoke-on-Trent City Council which is a administrative county border.

I think as well New Mills Newtown may be on a border.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Also just to throw the spanner in the works - what about Darton? A station that both WYCA and SYPTE claim that's there's.

West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire ITAs have an agreement at boundaries: Moorthorpe, South Elmsall and Denby Dale are boundary stations which fall within West Yorkshire but SYPTE tickets and passes are valid there in the appropriate direction. Darton falls within South Yorkshire but West Yorkshire tickets are valid from there. This causes a reduction in fares compared to other cross-boundary journeys such as Marsden to Greenfield but means that evening peak restrictions apply on journeys such as Denby Dale to Meadowhall as this is not considered a cross-boundary journey.

randyrippley

Established Member
Both stations serving Yeovil are wholly in Somerset. The border near Yeovil Junction was moved slightly in 1991 leaving the station wholly in Somerset.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1991/286/made

thanks for that - I wasn't aware of the change. However looking at the various available online maps it looks as if the boundary was moved east to the River Yeo - and then rejoins the stream west of the station with the boundary actually running along the railway line, splitting the old Junction station site north/south.
Unfortunately the maps I can find online aren't in a good enough resolution to be certain of the boundary, but that's certainly what it looks like

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The now closed Wedgewood station was on the border of Staffordshire County Council and Stoke-on-Trent City Council which is a administrative county border.

I think as well New Mills Newtown may be on a border.

Newtown as a whole is spread across both Cheshire and Derbyshire. The railway station is in Derbyshire by about 150 yards.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Kings Sutton is a literal stone's throw from the Northamptonshire-Oxfordshire border. The town and the station are in Northamptonshire (but have an Oxford postcode) as the river Cherwell acts as the border in those parts, the river is so close to the railway line and the station that essentially everything you can see on the up side of the track is Northants and everything you can see on the down side is Oxfordshire, excluding the down platform of course.

Haddenham & Thame Parkway serves the village of Haddenham (Buckinghamshire) and the town of Thame (Oxfordshire) and is the last building of any significance on the Buckinghamshire side of the border as it's a mile or so of farm land until you hit Oxfordshire.

Water Orton is a couple of hundred metres on the Warwickshire side of the Warwickshire-city of Birmingham border. Marston Green sits a similar distance on the Solihull side of the Solihull-Birmingham border, the border in that area being the airport boundary fence for the most part. Marston Green station is closer to the airport runway than nearby Birmingham International (which is actually just inside Solihull) as that station is located near to the airport terminal buildings. The Hawthorns is the last building in Sandwell before you get to Birmingham, the border is the overbridge just outside the station.

Openstreetmaps is a good source of data for stuff like this by the way.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
tbtc said:
..."and by country we mean a sovereign state and a member of the U.N in its own right"...
An aside but membership of the UN is not necessarily indicative of independence.

After all the Ukraine, Belarus and India are founder members of the United Nations.

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Are there any where the county/local authority dividing line is somewhere in the 6ft? So one platform in one area and one in the other?

lejog

Established Member
Ashwell and Morden station is a couple of hundred metres from the Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire border running along the A505 to the south. Ashwell, Steeple Morden and Guilden Morden are all north of the A505, although due to the route of the border Ashwell is in Hertfordshire, while the Mordens are in Cambridgeshire.

Harbornite

Established Member
Just did this quiz on sporcle (a site I highly recommend)

www.sporcle.com/games/opi96/worcs

Until I did that quiz, I never realised that Wythall was in Worcestershire. Look how close it is to the border with Warwickshire and the west midlands.

steamybrian

Established Member
At Birkbeck station I am unsure whether the boundary between Greater London and Kent runs through the station or along the boundary fence of the station/tramlink stop...?

Philip C

It's history now, of course, but Manchester Exchange was actually in Salford.
The entrance to it was, however, from the south side of the Irwell in Manchester.

Whilst the Cathedral Approach undoubtedly approached the station from Manchester there was a perfectly serviceable approach from Salford known as Salford Approach.

In the context of this thread the continuous platform linking Victoria (in Manchester) and Exchange (in Salford) may be worthy of mention. Both Manchester and Salford were, of course, County Boroughs.

damo44

Until I did that quiz, I never realised that Wythall was in Worcestershire. Look how close it is to the border with Warwickshire and the west midlands.

yes, only 200m from the border. In fact the next station in the Birmingham direction (Whitlock's End) is even closer to the county border, this time on the West Midlands side of it - the border runs along the edge of the Northbound platform.

Just did this quiz on sporcle (a site I highly recommend)

Interesting site, I have a feeling I'll be spending too much time on it in the near future. Incidentally I only scored 13/17 on that quiz

Harbornite

Established Member
yes, only 200m from the border. In fact the next station in the Birmingham direction (Whitlock's End) is even closer to the county border, this time on the West Midlands side of it - the border runs along the edge of the Northbound platform.

Interesting site, I have a feeling I'll be spending too much time on it in the near future. Incidentally I only scored 13/17 on that quiz

It's a treasure trove, I usually frequent the geography section but I occasionally dabble in history or film trivia. I don't mean to boast, but I can plot all 50 US states on a map in 10 minutes, without using state borders. There's also a quiz whereby you have to type in the names of all 197 countries in 10 minutes or so, I managed 195 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.