• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway Stations that are next to each other but have no direct services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6975

Established Member
On that basis you could include Dalton & Askam-in-Furness with the Barrow avoiding line ;)

A few years ago they did have a direct service. I was going to do the service to get the Barrow avoid and was most annoyed when the service was withdrawn at a timetable change shortly before my planned NW rover trip.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Might be wrong but don't think there is a service linking West Yorkshire's 2 newest stations, Kirkstall Forge & Apperley Bridge.

Springs Branch

Established Member
You can travel from Kearsley to Clifton (Manchester) on the one train per day that stops at Clifton in the morning. But you cannot get back, because the single train stopping at Clifton in the afternoon skips the Kearsley stop.

Similarly there is one direct train per day from Wigan North Western to Newton-le-Willows, but no direct trains at all in the opposite direction.

bradford758

Might be wrong but don't think there is a service linking West Yorkshire's 2 newest stations, Kirkstall Forge & Apperley Bridge.
One a day from KLF 17:16, Saturdays about 2 each way, Sundays hourly each way.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

anti-pacer

Established Member
Up until the Todmorden Curve opening, Burnley Manchester Road and Rose Grove, although I'm guessing that's no longer the case.

Others are Carnforth to Oxenholme (I think). Chesterfield and Belper? Langley Mill and EM Parkway? Dronfield and Dore.

scrapy

Established Member
Chesterfield to Belper and Dronfield to Dore both have direct services. Carnforth to Oxenholme not possible without reversal as no platforms on WCML.

Yes i believe that Eaglescliffe and Yarm do not have any direct train services. Dore & Totley - Dronfield and Carnforth - Oxenholme Lake District both dont count though as the stations are on seperate lines.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some other ones that i can think of (all on the Abellio Greater Anglia network):

Clapton - South Tottenham
Clapton - Tottenham Hale
Elsenham - Stansted Airport
Lea Bridge - South Tottenham
Seven Sisters - South Tottenham
South Tottenham - Clapton
South Tottenham - Lea Bridge
South Tottenham - Seven Sisters
Stansted Airport - Elsenham
Tottenham Hale - Clapton

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes i believe that Eaglescliffe and Yarm do not have any direct train services. Dore & Totley - Dronfield and Carnforth - Oxenholme Lake District both dont count though as the stations are on seperate lines.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some other ones that i can think of (all on the Abellio Greater Anglia network):

Clapton - South Tottenham
Clapton - Tottenham Hale
Elsenham - Stansted Airport
Lea Bridge - South Tottenham
Seven Sisters - South Tottenham
South Tottenham - Clapton
South Tottenham - Lea Bridge
South Tottenham - Seven Sisters
Stansted Airport - Elsenham
Tottenham Hale - Clapton

There is one late evening Hertford East service that calls at Clapton then Tottenham Hale.

It is impossible (in the northbound direction) to call at South Tottenham and then Seven Sisters - the crossover at South Tottenham to access the Seven Sisters route is located mid-way along the short platform.

Occasionally, during severe West Anglia disruption, XC services will call at all stations (including Elsenham) from Cambridge to Stansted in lieu of an AGA service.

There is one late evening Hertford East service that calls at Clapton then Tottenham Hale.

It is impossible (in the northbound direction) to call at South Tottenham and then Seven Sisters - the crossover at South Tottenham to access the Seven Sisters route is located mid-way along the short platform.

Occasionally, during severe West Anglia disruption, XC services will call at all stations (including Elsenham) from Cambridge to Stansted in lieu of an AGA service.

Thanks for the info. I wasnt aware of the direct train between Clapton and Tottenham Hale. Out of interest what time is this train as i cant seem to find it in the timetables?

With South Tottenham to Seven Sisters in the Northbound direction would it not be possible for a few coaches (or even just one coach) to stop on the platform and use SDO? Do you know roughly how many coaches you could fit on the platform before the crossover?

Kite159

Veteran Member

Can't see any GA services which call at Clapton on RTT.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Can't see any GA services which call at Clapton on RTT.

I do apologise, it must no longer run.

It was definitely the case prior to the introduction of the London Overground West Anglia routes in May 2015.

bnm

Established Member
St Andrew's Road - Bristol Parkway
St Andrew's Road - Filton Abbey Wood
St Andrew's Road - Patchway
Grateley - Dean
Severn Tunnel Junction - Cwmbran
Grangetown - Ninian Park

Andyjs247

A couple which I don't think have been mentioned:

Lichfield Trent Valley - Burton on Trent
Barnt Green - Bromsgrove (not at the moment anyway, will this change when the Cross-city electrification is extended?)

Philip C

A couple which I don't think have been mentioned:

Lichfield Trent Valley - Burton on Trent
Barnt Green - Bromsgrove (not at the moment anyway, will this change when the Cross-city electrification is extended?)

If you peep at posting #26 you will see that, whilst I do not include Lichfield TV - Burton I do cite Rugeley TV - Burton (using the little used curve at Lichfield) and also South Wigston and Market Harborough as further end points (via the line through Coalville). This leaves Lichfield TV - South Wigston and Lichfield TV - Market Harborough to be added in this area.

Another poster claimed Kirknewton - Lockerbie to be the longest of these pairs (also the longest between consecutive stations irrespective of having through services or not). Rugeley to Market Harborough falls a couple of miles short of the Scottish length but is very likely to be the longest inter-station journey available south of the border. I'd be delighted if someone could prove me wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.