• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Relics of the past still visible today at railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan Carroll

434 looked a terrible state once they actually started refurbishing the 170s into the full Saltire scheme. In this case, what would have been the first station to get Saltire? I believe Queen's Park and Mount Florida both got the scheme very early on. Same with Partick.

One thing I do remember was in about 2010, when 334006 was running around in a very strange colour scheme. One end had the saltire basecoat and new numbering on the cab end, with a debranded and and nearly fully stripped SPT side. When one end had the complete SPT side with an SPT end.

I think 334012 also got the same treatment, it looked pretty shabby.
Full List Here : http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Saltire+Branded+Station+List

Strange how Central Low Level got it so late despite it being such a heavily used station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mat17

Penistone station has some Victorian ironwork with Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railways monogram on the platform shelter.

There was also (about 10 years ago) a ramp on platform 2 at Sheffield, which said Sheffield Midland on the side. I realise this is still the official name of the station but the Midland suffix is so rarely applied to anything these days it struck me as curious. It didn't look old enough to have been around in 1970 when Victoria was closed.

Doomotron

Brighton, if I remember correctly, still has NSE 'Welcome to Brighton' signs on the West Coastway side. Folkestone Central still has a massive NSE sign outside I think.
Romsey had a car-stop marker sign with the NSE stripes on. Got a picture at home somewhere.
Deal in Kent used to have one as well IIRC.

I wonder if Folkestone East has any signs on it? And I'm sure the Folkestone Harbour branch has some relics on it.

Bevan Price

Established Member
"Formby Station LYR" is wriiten on the exterior of the ticket office building at that station.

And also at Buxton, "London and North Western Railway" is engraved on the wall arch outside the station.

Last edited:

Senex

Established Member
"Formby Station LYR" is wriiten on the exterior of the ticket office building at that station.

And also at Buxton, "London and North Western Railway" is engraved on the wall arch outside the station.
Do you remember when "Midland Railway" occupied the equivalent position on that company's station alongside?

quarella

When I was at Bristol Temple Meads last year one of the platforms still had boards on the canopy for the mail train.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Do you remember when "Midland Railway" occupied the equivalent position on that company's station alongside?
I used the Midland station at Buxton a couple of times, but it was usually a case of crossing between the two stations to catch another train, so whilst I recognised that the stations had similar structures, but never really examined the details.

Thinking of the Midland Railway, is it Hellifield that has the letters "M R" forming part of the metalwork supporting the platform canopy ?

JBuchananGB

Are there any stations in the former Network SouthEast area that still have the logo?
Built into the block paving of the station platform at Billericay.

On the same line Hillside station still announces itself as LMS.

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
There's a loading gauge at Totton, west side down, the rest of the former yard has been cleared

matchmaker

Established Member
Stirling station has in the stonework eaves "CR" and "1913" plus a coloured Caledonian Railway crest. Until a few years ago you could still read "Caledonian Railway Central Station" on the Heilanmans Umbrella over Argyle Street in Glasgow.

Efini92

Established Member
Manchester Victoria still has the regional railways sign.

There’s an original Milepost marker on the bridge between deansgate and oxford road stations.

Trainfan2019

In the entrance to platform 1 at Kidsgrove (tunnel from car park) there's a sign showing which platform you need for Nottingham and Manchester airport I think. There's also a VT 4/5 car stop sign at the far end of platform 2.

I wonder how many years it's been since direct trains ran to Nottingham and Manchester airport? Was the VT sign for virgin trains?

Lewlew

There's an NSE sign at Wembley Central station. Just behind the barrier at the north end of platform 1 (Northbound Bakerloo and Overground)

Monarch010

Welling station, on the Bexleyheath line, still has the original waiting shelter, built in 1895 from clapperboard with an unusual curved roof.

Veteran Member
Welling station, on the Bexleyheath line, still has the original waiting shelter, built in 1895 from clapperboard with an unusual curved roof.
It must be fairly rare for wooden station buildings of that age to survive - the platform buildings at Kent House are about the same age IIRC, though half of them have been demolished. I suspect there are a few more.

Not actually at the station but in Stowmarket I was delighted to spot this enamel relic on a building in the town centre in September 2019. I do hope it’s still there
066B5A77-0933-4A41-BC50-59DB15A5FD5E.jpeg

Western 52

The frontage of Cardiff Central has the words Great Western Railway in the stonework high up for all to see.

MP33

In Station Car Park there must still be the LNER do not trespass on the railway signs, fine 50/-.

LowLevel

Established Member
Could any trespasser claim in court that a £100 is unfair because of because of this?

No. The notices are only required in law to give the appropriate penalty at the time they were posted. It advises you that you are breaking the law and that there is a penalty (on a standard scale that is revised from time to time). It is not offering you a contract that permits you to breach the law in exchange for a fixed sum.

The fancy Midland Railway trespass sign at the entrance to Leicester Station is regularly produced as evidence in court by the transport police in trespass cases where the trespasser entered the railway premises in that way (usually clowns running between platforms).

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Wolverton is a good example of a location with lots of reminders of the past.

1 - Obvious remaining London Midland signage that hasn't been replaced
2 - The Silverlink car stop boards throughout
3 - The VT stop sign at the end of platform 3
4 - The BR era stand back from the edge signs
5 - BR era signs on the OHLE
6 - The BR coloured footbridge
7 - The unusual cameras on platform 1 for sighting purposes that are out of use and are in BR colours too.
8 - At the south end of P4 there is an unusual strcuture that you can see NSE red on.

BridgeofSighs

Comparatively recent, but there's First North Western signage denoting the CCTV system at Holyhead - https://flic.kr/p/2ioyUtC. This is actually rarer than any BR/Regional Railways remnant in North Wales because the FNW era was fairly swift, all of 3-4 years, and there can't have been too much in the way of purposefully made signage that actually needed producing with the company emblazoned on it, it'd have been stickers over existing signs at best.

Mat17

Could any trespasser claim in court that a £100 is unfair because of because of this?

Although LowLevel has already answered this question, your statement reminds me of something I saw once.

About 20 years ago I was stood in the vestibule of a Northern Spirit 156 awaiting to alight. On one side of that small space there was a sign saying, 'No Smoking - penalty £50', on the other side it said '£500' - I thought, wow so much cheaper to smoke on this side of the train than the other!

birchesgreen

Established Member
NSE branding is still visible at Lapworth and Little Kimble

Birkenhead Central has a big Mersey Railway sign over a door.

Does Guildford still have the Red star parcel sign? Think it was still there last year.

Near St Helens Central is a LNWR sign on one of the bridges.

Many many signs of the older railways still around...

Spartacus

Established Member
On Lime Street Station concourse Liverpool and roughly under the clock is (or was ) a stone carving of Britannia. I first saw it in 1975 when we were searching for possible terrorist bombs behind the advertising hoardings which were in place then. It had probably been sealed up for decades even then. I thought it may have been found and brought back to life in the revamp of the concourse but sadly not.

That rings a bell, don’t suppose anyone can find any photos?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It must be fairly rare for wooden station buildings of that age to survive - the platform buildings at Kent House are about the same age IIRC, though half of them have been demolished. I suspect there are a few more.

The South Eastern Railway built shed loads (pardon the pun) of wooden station buildings all over Kent. Unfortunately, as well as having an historical tendancy to burn down (Staplehurst, Ore), NSE also rebuilt a fair few in the 1990's (Marden, Headcorn).

Happily there are a couple of survivors - Bexley on the Dartford loop, and Pluckley on the SE main line and West St Leonards are still with us.

In terms of wooden shelters, Ham Street and Rye have nice ones.

urbophile

Established Member
Loads of GWR platform benches, and a few BR(W) benches, across the Great Western network. .
Also Hammersmith (H&C) on London Underground. Probably several others on that line too.

Not so much 'written' as embodied in a beautiful mosaic panel. However, some philistine planner has plonked a traffic light right outside it so that it is impossible to get a decent photograph.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.