• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Reopened lines and stations that were shut for the shortest length of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Out of all the lines and stations that closed and later reopened, I wonder what is the record for the one that was shut for the shortest length of time (excluding stations that were simply moved or closed for rebuilding and then reopened)?

I suppose one could include heavy rail lines that closed for conversion to light rail, which in some cases took less than a year (such as the Bury and Altrincham lines), but they don't really count as I was thinking more of lines and stations that were expected to close permanently but were later reopened.

In terms of individual stations, the record is probably Narborough (closed 4th March 1968, reopened 5th January 1970).

For entire lines, if you count lines that reopened as heritage railways at least in part, I would guess that the record would be the Mid Hants Railway (closed as a through route by BR in February 1973, reopened Alresford to Ropley 30th April 1977), closely followed by the West Somerset Railway (closed 1971, reopened 1976) and the Bluebell Railway (closed 1955, reopened 1960).

In terms of lines that are still part of the national rail network, the record is probably the Paisley Canal line, which originally ran through to Kilmacolm and closed on 8th January 1983, reopening as far as Paisley Canal on 27th July 1990 meaning it was closed to regular passenger trains for just seven and a half years.

Talking of the latter, there is a story on the last day of the Kilmacolm line at https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14127719.When_the_axe_fell_in_Kilmacolm/ and a video of the last day of service at

It is noticeable in that video how run down the stations looked (and that only one, Mosspark, had a then standard BR style nameboard with black lettering on white - all the others still had older-style ones with white lettering on light blue). It is also perhaps surprising how few enthusiasts or ordinary passengers were out in force to pay their last respects (I expect there were more on the last train, though). Little did we imagine back then that the line would partially reopen by the turn of the next decade, with a much more frequent service, and that it would one day be electrified.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Several stations on the Conwy Valley line barely had time to close before they reopened: 2 November 1964 to 14 June 1965 in Dolgarrog's case.

etr221

I think the St Ives-March line was closed one day, and then reopened a day or two later for a couple of days on an emergency basis. due to an accident blocking the line through Ely. Story recounted IIRC by Gerald Fiennes.

More seriously, the Talyllyn Railway closed - as it did - at the end of the summer 1950 season, and reopened under new management, as the first preserved railway, the following May, for the summer 1951 season. (As it was already summer only by 1950, it is arguable that it never actually closed...)

Esker-pades

Established Member
Rogart station on the Far North Line was re-opened 9 months after closure (June 1960 - March 1961).

Duncraig was technically closed from Dec 1964 - Jan 1976 (11 years), but drivers stopped for people anyway. A similar situation existed at Glencarron platform, but that wasn't officially reinstated so it decayed into closure instead (I think the last time it was actually served was in the 1990s, 30 years after closure in '64).

mailbyrail

Even earlier, the passenger service on the South Yorkshire Joint Line was removed and the stations at Dinnington, Maltby and Tickhill closed April 1926, services resumed July 1927 but were withdrawn again December 1929

Grumpy

I think the St Ives-March line was closed one day, and then reopened a day or two later for a couple of days on an emergency basis. due to an accident blocking the line through Ely. Story recounted IIRC by Gerald Fiennes.
Didn't something similar happen with Ripon-Northallerton following the DP2 crash at Thirsk?

Bishopstone

Established Member
Wikipedia states that Stewarton (on the Glasgow-Kilmarnock line) was closed on 7 November 1966, and re-opened on 5 June 1967.

AY1975

Established Member
There is a story on the last day of the Kilmacolm line at https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14127719.When_the_axe_fell_in_Kilmacolm/ and a video of the last day of service at

It is noticeable in that video how run down the stations looked (and that only one, Mosspark, had a then standard BR style nameboard with black lettering on white - all the others still had older-style ones with white lettering on light blue). It is also perhaps surprising how few enthusiasts or ordinary passengers were out in force to pay their last respects (I expect there were more on the last train, though). Little did we imagine back then that the line would partially reopen by the turn of the next decade, with a much more frequent service, and that it would one day be electrified.

And here's a video of the present day Paisley Canal line with a Class 314 EMU:

It's interesting to watch the two videos and play "spot the difference"!

Paignton to Kingswear surely takes the record for shortest period closed before preservation?

duffield

Established Member
KWVR? (Keighley and Worth Valley Railway)? I think it passed almost seamlessly from BR to presevation.

duffield

Established Member
Not quite, sorry. Closed to passengers 1962(?), reopened 1968.
Hmm. Should have checked their website before posting I guess. I had a very strong memory of BR almost literally 'handing the keys over' on closure day. Must have been some other line I guess - I wonder which one?

MP33

Did the Ffestiniog not actually formally close? They stopped operating and made the few remaining staff redundant, but never started formal closure procedures.

341o2

Established Member

More seriously, the Talyllyn Railway closed - as it did - at the end of the summer 1950 season, and reopened under new management, as the first preserved railway, the following May, for the summer 1951 season. (As it was already summer only by 1950, it is arguable that it never actually closed...)

I'd argue that the Tallyllyn never closed. In 1950, Sir Haydn died and the railway continued to operate for the rest of the season. The executors of his estate recommended closure, in came the preservation society and took over seamlessly.

The Ffestiniog, because it was never officially abandoned, the previous owners just stopped running trains?

341o2

Established Member
Did the Ffestiniog not actually formally close? They stopped operating and made the few remaining staff redundant, but never started formal closure procedures.
I've just asked the same

etr221

A legal argument made prior to the Welsh Highland reconstruction - but which was rejected - was that the WHR had just ceased operation, and then had track lifted - without going through any formal closure or abandonment process - and so could just be reinstated and reopened under the original powers (as these had not been legally ended), without any need for new powers.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The act that established the railway company (in 1832!) had no provisions for closing or abandoning the railway. Getting legal permission to do so would have required an act of Parliament (expensive). So they just stopped running trains instead, until the volunteers arrived, and later bought out the company.

A legal argument made prior to the Welsh Highland reconstruction - but which was rejected - was that the WHR had just ceased operation, and then had track lifted - without going through any formal closure or abandonment process - and so could just be reinstated and reopened under the original powers (as these had not been legally ended), without any need for new powers.
The WHR did, however, go through bankruptcy proceedings, iirc, which may have muddied the legal viewpoint.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not as short as some of the others, but Shepley to Clayton West closed on 24th Jan 1983. The first narrow gauge service (over a distance of less than a mile from Clayton West to Cuckoo's Nest Halt) ran on the 19th October 1991, less than 9 years later. It took until 1998 before trains reached the eventual terminus at Shelley Woodhouse.

341o2

Established Member
Bala Lake railway, BR closed last part 1 Jan 1968, track lifted 1969, ng opened 1972

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I can't remember the exact details but back in the 1980s Peak Rail opened a station somewhere between Peak Forest and Buxton. It was served by special trains running between Edale and Buxton during the summer. Although successful I think signalling issues forced it's closure and I think the platform ended up at Matlock Riverside.

Bill Hudson's excellent book gives a lot more information than I can remember off hand but I'm overseas at the moment and so can't access my copy.

Apologies as I've just realised that I didn't read the question properly! Hey ho!

d9009alycidon

Unlike the others above, the Argyl Line under Glasgow was closed for 15 years and 1 month, but that was a line where all track, signals and most of the infrastructure was removed. The track for the Paisley Canal line was retained as far as Hawkhead Fuel Depot from closure until reopening but had to be reinstated beyond that.

vlad

I can't remember the exact details but back in the 1980s Peak Rail opened a station somewhere between Peak Forest and Buxton. It was served by special trains running between Edale and Buxton during the summer. Although successful I think signalling issues forced it's closure and I think the platform ended up at Matlock Riverside.

Do you mean Cheedale Halt? Disused Stations link here.

Taunton

Established Member
I think it was 1967 that the SW main line between Sherborne and Yeovil Junction was singled. Immediately there was unreliability, and then a derailment, in the course of sorting that out the closed second track, which had never been lifted, was reinstated. Just closed for a couple of months I think.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Unlike the others above, the Argyl Line under Glasgow was closed for 15 years and 1 month, but that was a line where all track, signals and most of the infrastructure was removed.
Not a contender for shortest closure - but were the tracks lifted on the ex-CLC line from Hunts Cross Jn to Liverpool Central between withdrawal of Gateacre trains in 1972 and re-opening as Merseyrail Northern Line to Garston in 1978?

I'm not sure whether long term plans for the Liverpool Loop & Link were already in place & approved at the time of closure of Central High Level (which had been part of the Beeching axe), or whether BR had done the usual thing and ripped up the track as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.