• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Replacement Bus Services calling at stations off line of route

Status
Not open for further replies.

cav1975

For the next two weekends Island Line (South Western Railway) are running rail replacement buses from Ryde Esplanade to Havenstreet on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway as the station at Smallbrook Junction is closed.
1596988227332.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
When they had the landslip at the northern end of the Settle Carlisle, were there not RRB's from Appleby to Penrith?

si404

Established Member
When the Met line in the Amersham-Rickmansworth area is closed for engineering works there's two examples:

1) Chiltern's RRB is Amersham-Beaconsfield (also when Marylebone is closed, with the Met line providing some rail-replacement aspect for the Beaconsfield-London journeys, though they tend to run trains to West Ealing as well)
2) The Met line RRB goes Chesham-Amersham-Chalfont...

Chiltern had a closure between Beaconsfield and Dorridge in June and the RRBs from Warwickshire ran to Aylesbury Vale Parkway (there was a bus doing the stops south of Banbury).

Lewlew

For the next two weekends Island Line (South Western Railway) are running rail replacement buses from Ryde Esplanade to Havenstreet on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway as the station at Smallbrook Junction is closed.
View attachment 82020
There's no road/path access to Smallbrook Junction. It's a interchange station only.

DavidGrain

Established Member
When XC trains are diverted via Lichfield then a bus (or sometimes taxis) run between Lichfield and Tamworth rather than putting on buses Birmingham-Tamworth-Burton on Trent which would be an exact replacement service.

Parallel

Established Member
GWR have run a RRB between Pewsey and Swindon before, so passengers can change at Swindon for services to Reading and London presumably.

Would’ve been nice for the buses to have stopped in Marlborough!

When the ECML is shut between Welwyn Garden City and Finsbury Park, Great Northern often run a RRB via Oakwood Tube station to allow passengers the option of faster access to London.

Hang on, why Oakwood? Surely an ECML RRB would run right past Cockfosters station then south past Southgate station if it were skipping minor stops or west through East Barnet towards Oakleigh Park otherwise. Genuinely can't see why it would turn east to Oakwood station there.

Mollman

Established Member
Went to Newquay when there was engineering work, RRB started from St Austell instead of Par

341o2

Established Member
There's no road/path access to Smallbrook Junction. It's a interchange station only.
But does it not say that there will be no service to Ryde Pier Head or Smallbrook Jcn regarding the replacement buses

Veteran Member
But does it not say that there will be no service to Ryde Pier Head or Smallbrook Jcn regarding the replacement buses
It does indeed say just that. Smallbrook appears in the timetable IIRC.

bicbasher

Established Member
ELL and Jubilee Line RRBs call at Tower Hill and I think Aldgate for additional rail connections.

There have also been instances when the ELL RRBs between New Cross Gate and West Croydon which Southern manage have been extended to Sutton and also additionally call at Selhurst.

One that has never happened but would make sense would be for the SLL bus services to call at East Dulwich. They just go past on their way between Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Hang on, why Oakwood? Surely an ECML RRB would run right past Cockfosters station then south past Southgate station if it were skipping minor stops or west through East Barnet towards Oakleigh Park otherwise. Genuinely can't see why it would turn east to Oakwood station there.
I don't know the exact pattern- but maybe it's an express RRB that terminates there?

LancasterRed

I've been on a Greater Anglia bus service that terminated at Leyton, putting us onto the tube to carry onto Liverpool Street.

Class800

Established Member
Greater Anglia RRBs have sometimes run into Newbury Park for Central Line to Liverpool Street - never seen Leyton option being used, but not saying it hasn't

LancasterRed

Greater Anglia RRBs have sometimes run into Newbury Park for Central Line to Liverpool Street - never seen Leyton option being used, but not saying it hasn't

It might have been Newbury Park. Leyton is what I remember but I might have got the names mixed up due to being near Leyton Orient's ground

n37077

The ECML RRBS from Potters Bar serves Cockfosters and Oamwood. Oakwood has step free access, Cockfosters doesn't. It does not go past Southgate to get there.

Dave W

This may not be the point of the topic, but as there's lots of talk of the GOBLIN's RRBs being split in two - there's also the weird routeing that the buses take in Crouch Hill - rather than call at the bus stops serving the station, the RRBs drop passengers off at stops on Fairbridge Road - a solid half mile's walk away.

I suspect that doesn't quite meet the OP's description - as the stops are the designated RRB stops for the station - but they're hardly convenient for the station itself!

Class 170101

Established Member
The ECML RRBS from Potters Bar serves Cockfosters and Oamwood. Oakwood has step free access, Cockfosters doesn't. It does not go past Southgate to get there.

Does Oakwood have lots of space to hold buses there when compared to Cockfosters.

TheLastMinute

How about RRBs between Bristol Parkway and Patchway as there's normally no direct rail service between the two? Happens when the Paddington to South Wales services are diverted via Bath and call at Patchway instead or when the tunnel is closed.

island

Veteran Member
When Cannon Street and hence Deptford to Westcombe Park, New Cross and St. Johns are closed of a weekend RRB usually runs Lewisham-New Cross-Deptford-Maze Hill-Westcombe Park-Charlton. (Not sure what passengers for St. Johns are meant to do, although it’s hardly a long walk from Lewisham.)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ryde Pier Head is being served by taxis from Esplanade.
To add to the explanation that’s because normal sized “buses” are no longer allowed on Ryde Pier, I think nowadays a height barrier rules out anything higher than a light van.

cuccir

Established Member
I've seen timetables with rail replacements on the Settle-Carlisle calling at Hawes, which doesn't have a station, and in Kirby Stephen town centre, rather than at the station. I think they also tend to skip Dent and use local taxi services to get people to/from it. If you look at the local area, the line follows a route that would require lengthy diversions over moorland roads and/or steep hills to hit all the stations.

SargeNpton

Established Member
I've seen timetables with rail replacements on the Settle-Carlisle calling at Hawes, which doesn't have a station, and in Kirby Stephen town centre, rather than at the station. I think they also tend to skip Dent and use local taxi services to get people to/from it. If you look at the local area, the line follows a route that would require lengthy diversions over moorland roads and/or steep hills to hit all the stations.

I think that the Hawes stop is for the Dent taxi conenction.

Status
Not open for further replies.