• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Residents' names for visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
[This thread was inspired by the thread "Britain's most underrated visitor destinations" in this same section]

Back in the day when tourism was a vital part of the local economy and visitors were welcome, I think the locals in Devon used to call visitors "grockles" and Cornwall "emmets"
I'm never sure whether these were terms of endearment or borderline racist.

Ian McMillan in his book "Neither Nowt Nor Summat" mentions how residents of Yorkshire beauty spots used to call visitors from their county "comforts"
This is because when spoken to, they usually replied "We've only come f't'day"

Are there any other [preferably amusing] terms used in other parts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I’ve heard visitors to the coast being referred to as ‘Wezzies’ by East Riding of Yorkshire residents (from West Riding) and their towed caravans as ‘Wezziots’ (presumably from ‘chariots’)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Back in the day when tourism was a vital part of the local economy and visitors were welcome, I think the locals in Devon used to call visitors "grockles" and Cornwall "emmets"
I'm never sure whether these were terms of endearment or borderline racist?
Definitely said more in jest than with any kind of malice.
“Emmets” actually means ‘ants’ in old Cornish dialect (not Cornish language mind), ‘Grockle’ is a bit harder to pinpoint but has been used for decades around here.

High Dyke

Established Member
That's the problem. Frim folk don't always understand. As for the use of the word 'grockle'. I've heard it used in reference to those people towing a caravan - as in carrying a grockle shell.

LowLevel

Established Member
Visitors to the Lincolnshire Riviera have long been referred to as Clampits. I believe it is a term for a scruffy hillbilly. Skegites is a regular amongst the traincrew taking them there - referring to the toothless, sports direct bag or bin liner toting types swearing at their kids while getting tanked up at 0730 in the morning usually having not showered or cleaned their teeth in some time.

Calthrop

Established Member
I gather that the inhabitants of the Isle of Wight refer to tourists from the mainland -- indeed, all and any folk who live on the mainland -- as "overners" (pronounced approximately like "oven [the thing in which one cooks food]-ers"); i.e. those who dwell "over" the water. I recall a native of the IOW saying, "on this island we fleece sheep in the winter, and tourists in the summer".

I’ve heard visitors to the coast being referred to as ‘Wezzies’ by East Riding of Yorkshire residents (from West Riding) and their towed caravans as ‘Wezziots’ (presumably from ‘chariots’)

This can't help but bring to mind the West and East Germans and their problems with each other after reunification -- "Wessis" and "Ossis". I was delighted to learn that this thing pre-dates 1945 and the country's being divided: way before that, the people of western Germany tended to regard those who dwelt further east, as still living in the Dark Ages; whereas the easterners saw western Germany as Sodom and Gomorrah.

Iskra

Established Member
I gather that the inhabitants of the Isle of Wight refer to tourists from the mainland -- indeed, all and any folk who live on the mainland -- as "overners" (pronounced approximately like "oven [the thing in which one cooks food]-ers"); i.e. those who dwell "over" the water. I recall a native of the IOW saying, "on this island we fleece sheep in the winter, and tourists in the summer".

This can't help but bring to mind the West and East Germans and their problems with each other after reunification -- "Wessis" and "Ossis". I was delighted to learn that this thing pre-dates 1945 and the country's being divided: way before that, the people of western Germany tended to regard those who dwelt further east, as still living in the Dark Ages; whereas the easterners saw western Germany as Sodom and Gomorrah.

It's interesting now that the roles have reversed somewhat in Yorkshire, with Leeds drawing a (rowdy) crowd from many Northern towns and cities on a Saturday day (and night), as well as a huge student population; many of whom are from London/The South and think they own the place/are so grounded having come to study Up North. We have a word for all these people, but it's not repeatable here.

david1212

Established Member
Whether Grockles and Emmets are endearing or derogatory normally depends if to the person using the terms they are beneficial e.g. a resort cafe owner or a hindrance e.g. a local delivery driver.

Generally in the north when tourists from the south are moaning about rain, cold or wind - or all three - Southern Softees or Soft Southerners.

Are there terms used by Lancashire / Cumbria residents for visitors from Yorkshire, Northumberland etc and vice versa ?

Romsey

Islanders are known as "caulkheads". I think it derives the practice of caulking the joints of carvel built boat hulls.
"Overners" come from the "north island".....

Trackman

Established Member
People from Darwen Lancs are often called Darreners when they visit Blackburn or the surrounding areas
This is true, I went to Blackburn on a 'Lines I've not been on for about 40 years railtour' I told this bloke I had stopped off at Darwen, he said you mean 'Darren'? and I said 'Darwen' he said yes 'Darren' and so on..

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suppose it depends how you say it. :lol:
The West Country accents are a bit like Welsh in that respect. Everything sounds jolly and quaint, even verbal abuse! See the between-songs banter of the excellent Swansea-based rock band Future Of The Left for further examples.

Yorkshire folk will call anyone from South of the Tinsley viaduct "jessies" but almost always in a jocular fashion. If abuse is intended, tha'll know about it!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
According to the UCW Trinity St David on-line dictionary just the Welsh for English people.

Yes - but there was an emphasis on the pronunciation (remember , some of these people may have come all the way from English speaking West Swansea !)

Combined with "Crachach" - posh ! (people who had napkin rings etc on their dining tables)

[.n]

Grockles is the usual term, but at the moment, the phrase is usually closer to f****** thoughtless ungrateful b******* who are unnecessarily travelling a long distance to our beaches etc and not only potentially bringing Covid19 with them, but also trashing the place, urinating and worse in the streets, parking everywhere (car parks are closed) etc

AKA "Cummings"

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Grockles is the usual term, but at the moment, the phrase is usually closer to f****** thoughtless ungrateful b******* who are unnecessarily travelling a long distance to our beaches etc and not only potentially bringing Covid19 with them, but also trashing the place, urinating and worse in the streets, parking everywhere (car parks are closed) etc

AKA "Cummings"
Yes, but the TV news report last weekend showing every one of a long line of cars had a parking ticket on it may dissuade them from coming back until they're more welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.